FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Ash's saw
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the positive feedback! What you're seeing is part of the clamp Ash is using to hold the digit of the face-hugger...btw; I should have that clamp in a few weeks also
Mark Sheppard
Community Member

Location: In my office playing golf, pouring drinks, making deals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, joberg... you never fail to amaze me.... these pieces are just incredible....and I am still in amazement at your idea to do the airlock where Kane was ejected from... that is real class and and a hell of a great idea...!!!!!

"Did you really destroy the ENTIRE shipment?"

www.alienthemovie.blogspot.com
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JTP...more to come in the future
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next PIH auction... (I can see evidence of a missing Weylan-Yutani wings sticker on top of the prop)

I guess JB is dancing in the streets right now !

Laughing

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Fred...you bet Shocked Now that I'm seeing the handle on top and the pizza cutting blade Laughing they used for the "saw" part.
Since it's an air powered tool I should've known about the handle(gave the tool away to Mark if my memory serves me well (he's going to be the one to transform it).

P.S. I guess my source was right when he said that they used a pizza cutting blade for the prop Wink
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics of the screen used prop here :

http://www.propmasters.net/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=2275
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Fred...it's in my file now Wink
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news JB ! (too bad the dimensions aren't shared by the seller, even if I can understand that)

Cool
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... interesting. A pneumatic angle grinder. Could it be Chicago Pneumatic brand ... or Astro? Could be Silverline, of course; they're British, after all...

Heavily greeblied up, obviously; the cowling over the bend section of course, but probably the entire exterior from the valve section forward (including the cylindrical grip section below the actuator handle, and the shiny bit) consists of added-on bits and pieces.

Also, the tube behind the actuator valve section seems to be an add-on; probably a fabricated adapter for what appears to be a scuba air hose...

Thing to keep in mind with these air angle grinders when looking to identify the actual tool: one can usually turn which direction the axle points in in relation to the actuator valve without much difficulty; either by turning the actuator valve section in relation to the grip, or the axle bend in relation to the grip, depending on the design.

Once more, the hunt is on, it seems!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hunt is always on Vader Wink ...I don't think this was a working prop and here's my theory: first, even when the pizza blade turns it wouldn't show on the screen. You should have some kind of design on the blade to have a visual cue showing that the blade is actually moving (dots, or squares would've done the trick).

The handle on top is, as Vader said, typical of an air tool...but the way that handle is placed, it's not going to do anything soon (too close from the surface of the main tube)
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite so -- even if the grip's outer surface were something like a Neoprene sleeve, pressing the actuator handle down on it would require more force than Holm's grip on the tool would seem to allow. The facts that (a) it seems to be hard, and (b) the white paint on it isn't in any way marred by the actuator handle, very strongly suggest that the actuator handle isn't part of the prop's operation.

Also, the way the scene is shot, it does not require a practical prop, merely a visual one. In fact, trying to use a practical prop in that scene would be highly im-practical, with risk of damage to the Facehugger prop, debris from the cutting action, and what have you.

However, that being said -- it is still quite possible that there is a complete tool hidden underneath the greeblies.
Looking at some of those images, it seems that the prop isn't really ... straight. It seems a bit ... wonky. This might indicate that everything from the valve section forward is built, or that the tool is just loosely screwed together so that its sections do not align fully, or that the tool underneath is so much smaller than the bits stuck onto it, that the bits don't quite align. The last theory seems to me the most likely.

But one thing makes me curious: if the prop is merely visual, and not intended to have any practical function ... why bother with an actual air hose, complete with a real connector at the end?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Cause it looks more real Wink ...and another thing I don't understand is the hole at the back of the head (where the alu ring starts); this part is completely open. Now, if I was a surgeon, I wouldn't operate that stuff without fear of spreading some kind of bacteria to my patient (that tool must be a bitch to clean-up Confused )
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Cause it would be a bitch to make the part to cover it, most likely -- it was probably "good enough" even with the hole. Wink

Y'know ... for the longest time, I assumed this prop was supposed to be a laser cutter, with the bevel in the head that conveniently follows the surface Ash is cutting. It was only a few years ago I realised there actually is a circular blade on the far side... That realisation left me a bit disappointed; I thought the laser cutter was much more in keeping with the tech level of the setting. A physical saw blade just seems so low-tech...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True that, even in terms of visuals, the light from the laser would've had a better effect than this shot...we should ask Ridley about that one Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: