FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
ILM - the original blaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: ILM - the original blaster Reply with quote

I was chatting to ILM model shop supervisor Lorne Peterson yesterday - who I've known for a number of years - and he said the original blaster was actually at ILM for a number of years after filming wrapped up. He has a first generation cast it in his possession and remembers the original well - especially because it was incredibly heavy.

Regards

MARK

DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fascinating. What on earth was it doing there? Please try and find out a little more if you can.

Do we know which workshop was used for the build? I know that it is fairly certain Branko Wolfhart was behind the build but there would be assistants etc, involved in the construction. Perhaps one or more of them also worked at ILM?

Love to hear anymore you can find out!
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the idea the owner (whom sold it, can't remember his name) walked off the set with it.

Perhaps he sent to them to study?

Rich
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this will help.
http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/6321573
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting bit of news there Staar...funny how stories are still circulating about the whereabouts of that particular prop...was it long after the movie wrapped up or later during its showing in movie theater?
Why was it at ILM? Who brought it over there? (Guess they were already at the Marin County location).
TFS Bwood; auction states that the film's production company sold a bunch of items from the movie (date?)...interesting.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I was interested to hear this as well. Lorne can't recall why it was there or exactly how long it was there for but according to him, it wasn't unusual for props to be circulated through the various studios from time to time and he does recall that it was an exceptionally heavy item.

I'm with him, Jon Berg, Ben Burtt and a few other doyens at Star Wars Celebration at the moment but everyone's pretty busy with panels, classes and other functions so I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to ask him today - and I fly out to San Francisco tonight. I certainly want to see what his cast looks like and if I don't get a chance to speak to him about it today I'll email him later..

Kind regards

MARK

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you're certainly in good company Staar...wow, the stories these guys can tell Cool Would be great to see a first gen of that cast for sure.
Have a safe trip back
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long will you be in S.F.?

Staar wrote:
Yes I was interested to hear this as well. Lorne can't recall why it was there or exactly how long it was there for but according to him, it wasn't unusual for props to be circulated through the various studios from time to time and he does recall that it was an exceptionally heavy item.

I'm with him, Jon Berg, Ben Burtt and a few other doyens at Star Wars Celebration at the moment but everyone's pretty busy with panels, classes and other functions so I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to ask him today - and I fly out to San Francisco tonight. I certainly want to see what his cast looks like and if I don't get a chance to speak to him about it today I'll email him later..

Kind regards

MARK
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eltee wrote:

We (my son's and I) have just arrived in SF this evening eltee. We will be here for a week. I have Lucasfilm business to do while I'm here and will be spending the time between the Letterman Centre (LFL's head-offices) and Skywalker Ranch. There will also be some brief time with Phil Tippett and Jon Berg again as well as a day up at PIXAR so all in all, a very full schedule. We fly home on Saturday.

Kind regards

MARK

eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staar wrote:
eltee wrote:

We (my son's and I) have just arrived in SF this evening eltee. We will be here for a week. I have Lucasfilm business to do while I'm here and will be spending the time between the Letterman Centre (LFL's head-offices) and Skywalker Ranch. There will also be some brief time with Phil Tippett and Jon Berg again as well as a day up at PIXAR so all in all, a very full schedule. We fly home on Saturday.

Kind regards

MARK

OK, maybe next time. My shooting Blaster is done, thought you might like to take a shot with it.

If this is your first time at Skywalker or LDA (Letterman) don't forget they both have an employee / guest only gift shop and often have exclusive items for sale. Every time I go, I go Christmas shopping. Surprisingly, Letterman has more props on display whereas Skywalker has more props in storage. The food's better at Skywalker.

Enjoy your visit to my hometown. Next time, if you are able, I would love to take you on a "Policeman's Tour" of San Francisco, and let you shoot my Bladerunner Blaster at the range.

Take care, safe travels.

Eltee
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eltee wrote:
Staar wrote:
eltee wrote:

Kind regards

MARK

OK, maybe next time. My shooting Blaster is done, thought you might like to take a shot with it.

If this is your first time at Skywalker or LDA (Letterman) don't forget they both have an employee / guest only gift shop and often have exclusive items for sale. Every time I go, I go Christmas shopping. Surprisingly, Letterman has more props on display whereas Skywalker has more props in storage. The food's better at Skywalker.

Enjoy your visit to my hometown. Next time, if you are able, I would love to take you on a "Policeman's Tour" of San Francisco, and let you shoot my Bladerunner Blaster at the range.

Take care, safe travels.

Eltee

That's exceptionally kind of you mate - many thanks. I didn't realize you were in SF and if I had I would have planned accordingly. As you might recall, I spent 12 years as a combat commander in the military so your kindness in offering to let me shoot your blaster is beyond generous. Truly a kind gesture and hopefully one that I'll be able to indulge in some time in the future.

Cheers also for the head's up regarding Lucasfilm. Happily I regularly go to Letterman, Skywalker Ranch and Big Rock - one of the perks of having worked for George for many years.

Take it easy and its lovely to be back here again..

Kind regards

MARK

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would've been fun to see you two getting a go at it Cool .
Maybe next time...as for showing Staar the SF police grounds and the beat must be interesting as heck also. I'm sure China Town must feel like L.A. 2019 Wink
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Celebration myself and happened to see Lorne at the Propstore booth, but he was on the phone.

And yes I can confirm that the Blaster is exceptionally heavy. Shocked

The story as I understood it was that Jeff Walker acquired the Blaster at the end of filming for Blade Runner in 1982. As to its travels after that I do not know. But was Jeff Walker at ILM? Seems strange to think he would have had the blaster, then it went off to ILM for awhile, then he got ahold of it again later.

k
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same story and reaction...

Rich

phase pistol wrote:
I was at Celebration myself and happened to see Lorne at the Propstore booth, but he was on the phone.

And yes I can confirm that the Blaster is exceptionally heavy. Shocked

The story as I understood it was that Jeff Walker acquired the Blaster at the end of filming for Blade Runner in 1982. As to its travels after that I do not know. But was Jeff Walker at ILM? Seems strange to think he would have had the blaster, then it went off to ILM for awhile, then he got ahold of it again later.

k

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: