FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
What else do we know about Deckard's Apartment? Check List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell with the Mentor Huebner production illustrations he followed the set pretty accurately. Does anybody here have any access to more of his illustrations? I know a set of copies of his production art was put up on Ebay and I think a member here might have picked it up. It may help with insight to the layout to the apartment set.

Link to his site with his BR stuff..

http://www.mentorhuebnerart.com/filmproductiondesigns/bladerunner.shtml

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't a great deal of his work even in the art prints from the briefcase actually.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look familiar?

andy

Last edited by andy on Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
jeffrey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that style of phone have a name?
SaberFreak
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's a red one somewhere in my house...but its now midnight here and I can't go rummaging through all the cabinets to look for it.

The pain! The pain!!!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post more when I have mine in hand, sorry guys. I just want to make sure I have it before the price goes through the roof. But I will say they are common enough. At least 4 of them were up on ebay a little while ago, but most were outside the US and the shipping costs were prohibitive. I am sure a few of us on the board allready have one, or had one growing up.

Andy

EDIT---I a report that someone else on this board may be working on this prop and is irked that if I put up this info it may make the cost go up before they get one. If this is the case please PM me and I will hold off putting up the rest info untill you have it in hand as well. I am willing to work with and help everybody on this board, but it may mean keeping me up to date on info to prevent me from posting it ahead of time.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who asked me to please hold of on ID'ing the phone until you acquire them, please let me know when it is okay, because I have mine in hand now.

Andy
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Andy,

its unfortunate that you are unofficially censored - as this is what its all about - sharing what we find with each other. having said that, i know it sounds a bit naive as collectors are looking for 25 year-old found items. however, i do respect you and that you are honoring the requests of others.

it would be nice if they however, let you off the hook soon so the rest of us can just pay the competitive/higher price for a found item.

thanks man - i am sure many of us look forward to an update on the phone.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine who's in Telecommunications had this to say after seeing the above photo:
"It looks to me like a "Northern Telecom Contempra" from the 70's. It was originally available as a rotory phone."
JR
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since its the day for "finds"

Here is the identity of the correct shot dispenser:

It can be seen in the regular release of the film, but not very well, a quick glimps in the living room and over Rachels shoulder as she talks to Deckard, and no I am not talking about the silver coffee pot.

I am refering to the Orange/yellow Bowling ball dispenser that is up on the dresser opossit Decards bathroom, next to the double window in his living room.

Here are two pics showing it better (if from a distance), one from the opening of dangerous days, I put a black box around it, and one from a shot at the end of the work print .

Enjoy! - now I just can't wait till someone id's that Black label Bottle.

Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was watching a Contempra phone on ebay just now, it went from 29.00 to 104.00 in a blink and an hour later the auction was ended with four days to go, with that bid winning. Fascinating. Think i`ll try again in six months when the heats off Shocked
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures / Artwork Reply with quote

Rustyn242 wrote:
Now I'm getting obsessed - as Rachael runs out of the apartment before the creepy seduction scene. You can catch a Chinese (or Japanese poster/ print by Deckard's front door.
Any art history majors in the forums?

I'm neither an art nor a history expert, but the headgear looks Japanese to me.

In fact, the portrait itself looks quite similar to a work by Japanese painter Fujiwara no Nobuzane (1176-1265) -- except a lot cleaner:

Maybe the one in Deckard's apartment is a cleaned up, commercially available version of the Fujiwara original?

Thanks, Pilot.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once-bitten wrote:
A friend of mine who's in Telecommunications had this to say after seeing the above photo:
"It looks to me like a "Northern Telecom Contempra" from the 70's. It was originally available as a rotory phone."

Yeah, a bunch of this already knew this, but I was holding off spilling the beans because I know the lurkers and others would make these too hot for those who figured out the info on their own to get one for a fair price. The same reason why I placed hints for the regulars of the board to figure out the bowling ball shot dispenser, and prevent the opportunists to create scalping prices. Hopefully all those that got the hints and PM'd me already got theirs.

I was planning a whole write up on the phone, but I think the thunder may be gone now. I still plan on sharing info on these props, because that is what this board is all about. So sorry if I am acting a bit of an ass, but I did take a bit of heat for posting the photo in the first place and even more now. Many more have thanked me for sharing than not though. Oh well Rolling Eyes

I do kind of miss the days when I could tell people about the scope knob for the first time on propsummit, and nothing happens until I posted the info on the Rpf. I guess that means this place is a success now. I remember when I first posted about the Safex ashtrays and nobody seemed to care, now they are going up on ebay with the "Blade Runner" tag and selling for over $80 (the wrong style to boot) Confused

Of course if we are patient the price for most of this stuff will come back down again, especially the common stuff like the phone. The shot dispensers are a good example, you can find them all the time on ebay for less than $20 (not the orange one of course). I also will give a tip to try creative search parameters to find overlooked stuff. Thinking like a naive seller will bring up a lot of good deals.

On a (not so) final note, more info to come soon.
Andy

Last edited by andy on Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....also, to the right of the Orange shot dispenser in Deckard's apartment is a sculpture of a UNICORN Very Happy

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but look at the interest it caused Andy, thats why i find this place so compelling, always something new to explore. Its a delicate balance between personal interest and group contribution when it comes to collecting and we all have stories about special finds that were picked up
with no competition and others that ended in bidding wars. As most of us live in free market systems, it is a necessary dance. I wasnt peed off about the phone auction, just fascinated to watch it happen while i was watching it. What price do you put on something you really want? As individual an answer as the motivation behind it i guess
It is the contributions of yourself and many others that keep the rest of us interested and busy around here.
Tim
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay a little more info on the Contempra phone...

Quote:
Contempra telephone: Designed and made in Canada by John Tyson and his team at Bell Canada-Northern Electric, this was the world's first telephone with the keys on the handset. Its angular design allowed it to be placed horizontally on a table or mounted vertically on a wall - the first phone in the world to offer that flexibility. The Contempra also came in a palette of stylish colours, providing welcome relief from the solid black that was then the norm. A huge success for Northern Electric, it was sold in domestic and foreign markets for nearly 20 years.

I have also seen these coming from England under the Manufacturer "British Telecom". Though it was first sold in 1969, it's R&D date is 1967, my birtdate.

Andy
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures / Artwork Reply with quote

[quote="temponaut"]
Rustyn242 wrote:
Now I'm getting obsessed - as Rachael runs out of the apartment before the creepy seduction scene. You can catch a Chinese (or Japanese poster/ print by Deckard's front door.
Any art history majors in the forums?

The Fujiwara no Nobuzane painting you've linked to is probably right. I chased this up a couple of years back and it's amazing how many Japanese paintings look like that. I emailed various Professors and dealers and they all said 'Fujiwara no Nobuzane' (Apart from one who said 'stop bothering me you fool, electronic show and tell is not what I do' Laughing) One chap from the Sainsburys Institute gave that piece as an example. I think I posted about it on BladeZone.
I couldn't find a version as clear as the one in the film (at the time) so I assumed it was a recreation. Then i kind of gave up!

Good hunting and let us know how you get on.
temponaut
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures / Artwork Reply with quote

precinct wrote:
The Fujiwara no Nobuzane painting you've linked to is probably right. I chased this up a couple of years back and it's amazing how many Japanese paintings look like that. I emailed various Professors and dealers and they all said 'Fujiwara no Nobuzane' (Apart from one who said 'stop bothering me you fool, electronic show and tell is not what I do' Laughing) One chap from the Sainsburys Institute gave that piece as an example.

Thanks for corroborating the Fujiwara no Nobuzane theory with your findings from scholars and dealers. The more I compare the print in Deckard's apartment with the Fujiwara original, the more convinced I am that the former must be a modern "as first painted" recreation of the latter.

With this idea in mind, and assuming the BR crew bought a commercially available print rather than going to the trouble and expense of creating one from scratch, I've been searching Japanese- and English-language Websites that sell art-related posters, trying a variety of keywords in English and Japanese. No luck so far. Searching for "shogun poster" in Japanese brought up a picture of Colonel Sanders.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures / Artwork Reply with quote

temponaut wrote:

With this idea in mind, and assuming the BR crew bought a commercially available print rather than going to the trouble and expense of creating one from scratch, I've been searching Japanese- and English-language Websites that sell art-related posters, trying a variety of keywords in English and Japanese. No luck so far. Searching for "shogun poster" in Japanese brought up a picture of Colonel Sanders.

hahaha!

Well I've done that finger work too!

The thing is, nobody could name the chap in the painting. Just the fact that he was a Japanese Courtier (maybe a feudal lord - daimyo) and the work was from the Kamakura period.

From the people who concurred that the artist was Fujiwara Nobuzane here's some relevant snippets from the emails I received:

It is style of Japanese Samurai Costume from Kamakura Period(12th cetury). I can not tell exact person because many of them looks same in that time. However, it looks like Minamoto Yoritomo who was Shogun in Kamakura Government...

It depicts a Japanese courtier...

The photo appears to be of a Japanese painting of a court noble, possibly Sugawara no Michizane. I am not sure with the angle in the photo. It could be someone else as well, as Michizane is usully depicted with a wooden pallet. Possibly one of the Roku-kasen (6 poets) or other figure from Heian Japan...

I am almost certain that the gentleman is Sugawara Michizane...

The man depicted could be Kino Tsurayuki...

The man in the painting is wearing traditional Japanese court dress, but it
is hard to tell when the picture itself might have been made. I would guess that it was made in the modern period (i.e. 19th c. or later), perhaps contemporaneous with the film, but it closely follows premodern painting. It did not strike me as being a specific famous painting, but I attach 1 painting from the 16th-century Tale of Genji album by Tosa Mitsuyoshi (1539-1614) in the Kyoto National Museum that shows nobles wearing this type of hat and clothing. I believe it is called "kariginu."
My reasons for thinking it may be a modern painting following older
examples: the apparently large size of the figure against a plain or gold
background, and the shading around the folds of the garment/color
modulation to show volume. But this is just a hunch...

and finally...

Just because I didn't reply immediately, does not mean I didn't get your email! What on Earth am I supposed to do with such a poor image? I'm sorry but I'm going to have to turn you away, electronic show-and-tell is not
what I do.

Rolling Eyes

happy hunting. As for the 'commercially available' recreation, fingers crossed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: