FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
This may sound crazy to you guys
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DannyinTexas
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: This may sound crazy to you guys Reply with quote

But when I was in high school, I actually tried to figure out how the BR gun worked. I didn't know that it was just a revolver with a hat back then. I actually thought all those parts and pieces did something, or the fictional pistol had such functional parts.

Now that I am in school for Mechanical engineering, I may just see if I can pull it off.

In high school, my "big idea" was that the pistol functioned by using a two-part ammunition. A bullet with a layer of dry chemical at the base and a gas that was injected into the chamber. When the gas hit the solid, they expanded rapidly propelling the bullet. The bullets were held in a helical mag under the barrel and a cartridge of gas was held in the receiver above the barrel.

Besides making the BR gun design logical, it added one other benefit in that the user could control the velocity of the round by adjusting the amount of gas used. I thought perhaps this might be useful in space. I don't know if regular firearms will function well in a vacuum. Or, perhaps, it might be a safe alternative to a regular gun if the atmosphere were explosive, like in a mine.

I might be able to make it work, but I don't know that it would provide any real advantage over a standard pistol.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I have thought the same thing many times but your idea is much better than mine. I figured it was a special revolver base and had to be a revolver for some reason, maybe because of the power of the ammo or something and then a hand loaded one at a time rifle/missle in the top.

Your idea is better
cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Gee that DOES sound crazy.
You should have done rocket science instead of mechanical engineering.
Too fantastical for this section.... maybe move to another part of this Forum instead of prop shop I reckon..... uhhh, hang on....selling science fictional ideas.... Twisted Evil yes .... evil muahh ahaha ... muahahaha
Well if you can pull it off and build one.... err yeah....how much will it cost? muah aha ha haha

Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like jameth, I also thought of it as some kind of an over/under type of firearm, with the upper receiver being loaded one at a time with some massive round needed to administer the coup de gras to replicants.
DannyinTexas
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it still could be that there is an upper barrel. It could be an extra-large caliber metal storm type round. (pre-loaded barrel that fires several stacked rounds, one at a time, electronically)
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here is Phil and my ideas on the fuction of the gun:

http://www.racprops.com/issue4/brblaster/

Rich

Last edited by racprops on Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved this into the replica props section. If this Idea ever goes up for sale then we can start another thread in the shop Smile.

Of course the name "Shop" does sound like a place to work on stuff as much as a place to sell stuff, so maybe we should consider changing the name?

Oh and very intriguing Idea Danny. I would love to see some technical drawings of the concept weapon.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, a drawing/blueprint would be nice 'cause I don't see it Confused Maybe it's me and my coffees have not kicked in yet Wink
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big thing for me was that there has to be two different rounds fired. There is just no reason for the guns design otherwise. Other than it looks really cool. I realize the prop makers probably did not give it any thought.

Sometimes they work it all out and consider and design how the prop works and some times they just throw them together. Anywho everyone here knows that.

As soon as I can I'm going to whip up some rifle/missile ammo. I was going to make my own custom .44 rounds but I'm probably going to go with Nexus' if someone drops out and then make about 6 rifle/missile rounds. Then a holder that holds two speedloaders and the five extra Relicant seeking missiles.

Maybe something where you can tag the rep and then with the front trigger fire the missile and it follows and finds the rep. Kind of like Runaway. I figured with the bolt action it would have to be a hand load one at a time type thing.
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Jameth,my idea is this:In order to give police officers a lethal and non lethal choice in the same weapon this pistol was designed.Two magazines(one under the barrel the other a revolving cylinder),two triggers,forward for non lethal or special rounds,rear for lethal.One barrel,of course the problematical point.I think when destroying androids became necessary the police found they already had the answer in their service weapon.A BR could carry an extra lethal anti andy round instead of the non lethal types carried by patrolmen.The specials could be explosive,some sort of EMP or something more exotic.For the standard police sidearm they would probably be taser rounds,which might work against androids too now that I think of it! Very Happy
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing no one has taken the time to read what Phil and I came up with...

Rich
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:
I am guessing no one has taken the time to read what Phil and I came up with...

Rich

There is a LOT of information on these boards Rich. Maybe it wold be easier if you linked to your research and build - for those who might have missed it - instead of simply referring to it…

Regards

MARK

racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude I did:

Check the LINK. Above...

It is too much to copy and paste here.

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read your article Rich. This seems like a different idea altogether, even though it has some similarities. It seems to actually have some ideas I have never thought or heard of before, but also sound plausible in a more future tech way.

Andy
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
I loved your idea for the magezine to reload the chamber. I felt that was the best explanation for the clip housing yet. Having it's own battery power for each clip makes sense as well

I was a little fuzzy on how you thought the top worked. I was thinking of a rocket with fins as well but what was your thought on the loading??
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:
Dude I did:

Check the LINK. Above...

It is too much to copy and paste here.

Rich

Yep, you did.. I somehow missed that
My bad!

Sorry mate

Regards

MARK

DannyinTexas
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the idea of a small, fin-stabilized explosive round is a reality these days.
They fire out of any 12 gauge shotgun. The thing is, the front of the BR pistol is plugged, and that was why I assumed the top part was not a separate barrel.

As an historical side-note, the idea of a pistol that had a second barrel for a shotgun round is not new. It is rather old, in fact. The South used a pistol like this during the Civil War called the LeMat. It fired 9 rounds from the cylinder and had a single 50-cal shotgun round fired from a lower barrel. (One has to wonder if the guys who designed the BR gun did not look at this weapon - see the ramrod on the side? Reminds me of the sight rod)

I haven't seen my old drawings of the pistol in a decade, but I remember this much:

The magazine is helical, like a Calico pistol, and ejects the bullets at the rear-top, just above the weaver knob. Since the rounds are caseless, there is no need for an ejector or port. There is a bolt that pushes the rounds into the barrel, but the bolt face is tubular and this cavity in the bolt face is where the component gas is injected, giving the reaction sufficient volume to occur without overpressure.
I was thinking the bolt might be jointed like the Luger or perhaps delayed roller-bolt like the HK P9S.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is the upper section holds an extra special round with no propellant, it is all explosive…

It is like the ww2 rifle grenade, powered by a normal round.

When the bolt is unlocked and pulled back, it unlocks the barrel which then tips up and the pushing forward of the bolt loads the round into the barrel and then closes the barrel by pushing it back down.

The gun is then fired normally firing the two rounds at the same time, the normal round powering the special round.

Otherwise there would be no need for the cocking lever…

The knob on the right side facing the front could be a safety, a knob used to recenter the cylinder in case of a jam, it would center the cylinder so the operator could then fling the weapon in a hard ark to try to spin out a dead round causing a jam…(The rocked round are not a tight fit and could be flung out)

We considered why would anyone carry a lighted gun, so it must be very important…with a liner thrust reloader, it would be…and we thought each clip/mad carried its own battery, like Polaroid Film Pack did, the polabattery.

As these would be throw a ways, they could self eject when the last round was loaded, a drop out of the mag would tell you that you have only five rounds left.

The knelled knob on the Laser rod is to switch the way it worked, say steady, flashing, and perhaps infer-red (Special glasses would be needed) and the rear LED would tell which your using.

As for the LaMat, yes I get a kick out of it, 9 round in the cylinder and one in the lower barrel…cool, it was used for Jayne’s Gun “Boo” in Firefly and I did a run of them a few years ago.

Rich
bwade wanna
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my Expanded & Complete Rep-Detect Series-D M2019 Blaster Theory, which I've researched, edited, and re-edited for many years, independent of any other that's considered canon regarding the blaster's function or replicants' anatomy. I now copy-paste it for all to see, and God have mercy on my soul:

Like a field artillery or naval artillery round, the blaster's ammunition consists of a shell that is separate from the propellant, the latter being caseless or contained in a film that vaporizes in the breach upon ignition.

The blaster's Steyr clip houses 4 shells, which are high-explosive, squash-head (HESH) or high-explosive plastic (HEP). Both types have tips containing a super-concentrated, fast-acting neurotoxin engineered by the Tyrell Corporation to only affect a replicant's nervous system. The neurotoxin renders a replicant paralyzed and in rigor-mortis state within 30 seconds after a direct hit. This explains Zhora and Pris' rapid rigor-mortis stiffness so soon after Deckard shoots them. Thus, if a replicant is not fatally damaged by the HESH/HEP round, the Rep-Detect officer only needs to stand a safe distance until the paralysis kicks in. Unless the replicant suffers a direct head shot (i.e., poor Leon) or massive heart damage, it is very likely still alive at this point, thus allowing safe interrogation at a later time.

The 4 HESH/HEP shells are stacked in the LED-equipped clip in two rows (LHS & RHS), front to back, like AA batteries in a battery pack. When the clip is loaded from the bottom, as soon as the frame mechanically captures the clip, the clip's 4 red side LEDs turn on, each one indicating a live round. With each firing, the LEDs turn off at the spent shell's former location. Think of it as four torpedo launch tubes with "loaded" indicators. The clip's bottom red LED indicates "armed & programmed," while the "ON-OFF" switch on the clip's RHS controls the arming & programming of the shells, thus acting as a safety. Un-armed and un-programmed shells will render the blaster inoperable. Once armed, the clip cannot be accidentally ejected until the arming switch is set to "OFF" or the 4 rounds it contains are spent, whichever happens first.

One shell is loaded and rammed into the breach electromagnetically and automatically by depressing the front trigger (i.e., one trigger pull = one loaded shell). The first trigger pull also lines up a propellant pellet behind the shell (more on this shortly). This is the "fire standby" mode favored by Rep-Detect officers during a search & destroy mission. A pull on the rear trigger ignites the propellant and fires the shell, thus mimicking the modern-day field artillery loading & firing sequence. Both triggers pulled consecutively will perform the same sequence, just without interruption.

Propellant pellets are stored in the Steyr's upper receiver. The breach has a side port that loads the propellant pellets. By pulling the breach lever back half-way, the port is exposed, pellets are manually fed, sensed by an RFID chip, and electromagnetically & automatically advanced into the upper receiver. You can load up to 16 pellets per blaster, thus allowing four shell clip changes between propellant re-loadings). Once all pellets are depleted, the upper receiver breach lever snap-rotates up, indicating "empty." This action also renders the blaster inoperable if there are still live shells in the clip or loaded in the breach. The lever also acts to eject propellant pellets by pulling it all the way back once. This action automatically activates the electromagnetic advancing mechanism in reverse, and a mechanical ejector pushes out the unused pellets.

Jams: a defective or damaged shell still in the clip will be skipped in the loading sequence, and the corresponding LED will blink. A defective or damaged shell loaded in the breach will still fire, but an audible alarm will alert the Rep-Detect to aim the blaster at the ground or in the air to avoid hitting a non-replicant bystander. A defective propellant pellet will simply be electromagnetically rotated out of the firing position and sent to the "back of the line," while the next pellet is loaded in its place. This sequence happens in under 1/25 of a second, thus not affecting the shot.

Since replicants are essentially re-engineered humans with robust & redundant organs and enhanced musculo-skeletal structure, armor-piercing rounds are not effective - replicants are not Terminators, after all. The HESH/HEP shells have micro-thrusters in the rear, controlled by a nano-DSP chip and RF receiver, guided by the blaster's active hyper-sonar and alpha-wave scanner target acquisition & tracking system, embodied by the upper receiver's front sensor array, front & rear green LED (transmitter) on the LHS jeweler tool, and the windage knob (receiver) on the RHS.

And because replicants' brains emit distinct & discreet alpha-wave patterns different from humans but also different from each other, the blaster's multi-frequency sensor array locks onto all alpha wave signal sources within the weapon's effective range inside a 120 degree operational acquisition "cone," and when the shell is fired, it is actively guided by the hyper-sonar, thus creating a double-redundancy "fool proof" replicant target acquisition & tracking protocol, preventing the "accidental retirement" of a human, while also allowing the shooter to acquire, track, & shoot up to four belligerent replicants simultaneously.

That's why Leon and Roy assumed in advance that they could never use Deckard's blaster against him, even though both had excellent opportunity to do so had they known he was actually a replicant. That's also why Rachel was able to shoot poor Leon - after all, she couldn't have been that great a marksman from all the way across the street, in the dark & in the rain, could she? The only explanation is that the round was auto-guided by the blaster. The question as to why Leon was hit instead of Deckard remains a mystery, but I have a theory for that too: perhaps both Rachel and Deckard, being experimental Nexus 7 models that are unaware of their replicant nature (that is, until "the [VK] machine" is put on them, as Bryant would say), emit different frequency alpha waves than the Nexus 6 models, thus making them immune to the blaster's target acquisition & tracking signals.

Oh, I almost forgot: the white wires on the blaster's LHS are shielded nano-tube data lines between the target acquisition & tracking system and the programmable shell clip. These lines are external to the blaster frame due to its internal electromagnetic shell loading & propellant pellet advancing mechanisms, which were found by Pflager Katsumata Tactical Division, Off-World Manufacturing, Siderio Arms, and CT&S Assault Systems Group, the four Tyrell-licensed manufacturers of the Series-D M2019 blaster, to disrupt the programming signal.

Are we all clear now?

D
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like parts, and dislike parts, I think it is a little over complex, and lots of super small and complex electronics….

On the other hand the front of the Steyr which is cup shaped could be the sensor/antenna…

I would think self guilded rounds a little farfetched but a go/no-go firing system I can go for…He can shoot if he has a clear shot…

They already have a rifle that can be ranged to explode a round at a preset distance, so rounds that could take the range and 3 inches (to insure being inside the target) could be done by then…

Poison Rounds..works for me…fits the facts.

Rachel was right behind Leon when she shot him not across the street if I remember right…or fairly close so it was not so much a super shot.

The idea of only four rounds works when you do not know about the cylinder in the Bulldog…and I like the idea that the four LEDs are tells and show if a round is used…

But with the cylinder I like the idea of 5 rounds in it and 5 to 10 in the mag..giving you the best of both worlds. A autoreloading revolver.

LEDs could show for every two round used, so the Mag holds eight reloads, making the total thirteen rounds...

My 2 cents worth.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: