FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
BR -Johnnie Walker B.L- Bottle
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MVestala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: BR -Johnnie Walker B.L- Bottle Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I hail from Finland, and my parents have a company called NC-Tuote Oy.

www.nc-tuote.fi

We are selling different CAM / CAD softwares and ALSO, top notch 3D printers from OBJET Geometries Ltd. Also, we are supplying Rapid Prototyping models for customers created from their 3D program files they send us.

Objet 3D printers are very high quality machines that use different support material than the cheaper (powder machines). Now i was thinking if i could be of any assistance concerning the Bottle?

Ideas are welcome Smile

Edit: Oh and also, my father has experience with mold making / CNC machining of over 20 years.

-Matti-
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, welcome aboard, Matti.

The last person to work on the JWB bottle was recently banned from the board, so the old CAD files are not really available to anyone here. It would probably be possible for someone to reverse engineer the files based on one of those bottles, if they were so inclined.

The problem with manufacturing them is the mold making costs and the small production run at which you'd be looking. Most professional bottle manufacturers want production runs in the 10's of thousands, not the 2-300 copies which would probably satiate the BR prop hobby. And, even if you were able to find a manufacturer willing to do such a small run, the large mold cost would probably make them prohibitively expensive.

So, in the end, the files and prototyping for the bottle aren't the real sticking points for making these real, it's the actual production.

Now . . . if you've got an uncle with a bottle making factory . . .
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that with all the research that went on into that bottle that we never found a source for the original bottle.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Matti; yes, the famous whiskey bottle...well, we could always make a model out of solid transparent plexiglas
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Matti Smile
MVestala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My humble thanks for everyone for the welcome.

Cant help myself being obsessed with this item:) a true Holy Grail, among the Blade Runner prop collectors indeed.

I've tried to ask around about the label, which was on the bottle, in the movie "Annie", based on the screenshots i found from this site, there's something awfully familiar with it, as if i could almost recognize it! No luck so far :/

Someday maybe....someday

EDIT: Bleh i guess the only way to drown my sorrow is to go to Estonia next saturday and buy 3 litres of J.W.B.L, got one 1L bottle half finished on my shelf even now Smile
scarletguard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if a bottle were produced that it would come with a screw-top cap, so it could be functional as well.
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. My JW bottle is possibly my most prized prop, but I'd love one that I could use as well. While we're dreaming, anyway. Smile
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see there is another whiskey bottle for sale on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Blade-Runner-Whiskey-Bottle-Glass-Prop-Replica_W0QQitemZ300379561703QQ
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being offered by Paul himself. Saw it on his facebook page.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, with the amount of particular pics of the said item, I thought about Paul right away.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Original Bottle Still A Mystery? Reply with quote

Yes, I was wondering about the original bottle myself. After all these years, no one has found one yet, not even an ad?

I saw it in Annie years ago and they had multiples, yet there seems to be no trace of the thing.

My best guesses have always been mouthwash or cooking oil product contianers.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zip so far has turned up on the original bottle, aside from it being spotted in Annie. To date its never been seen in another film, no pics have shown up on the net, nothing.

I've tried many an image search using terms like square bottle, rectilinear bottle, geometric bottle, ect. Never had one match.

I doubt the mouthwash theory, only because the Listerine bottles they make now are flat and slightly curved, but also because back when I was a boy Listerine used to come in round glass bottles with a brown cardboard tube wrapper.

I think it's likely it was from some trendy product that soon vanished off the shelves after a few years when the producing company folded. Or the cost of manufacturing those bottles caused the company to change the design. I've seen many bottle designs that use a similar shape, that is wide bottom, narrow center, and wider top, but they always have soft rounded edges or short necks. My guess is that it's easier to mold them that way.

It does remain one of the great BR mysteries out there, until someone happens to find one sitting on their grandmother's shelf in the attic with a bunch of dried flowers sticking in the neck.

Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Spin the mystery bottle Reply with quote

It is pretty amazing that finding the original blaster is easier than locating a simple plastic bottle.

My idea of it being a cooking oil (olive oil, sesame oil etc) bottle comes from noticing that foreign companies, particularly Asian companies like exotic bottles for their oils.

It would be interesting to find that the bottle is still readily available but we have been searching in all the wrong languages!
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't surprise me lol. Time to scour chinatown yet again.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my theories that I haven't been able to confirm as of yet, is that it was one of the large scale cologne display bottles. We just have to find a matching or similar small bottle.

Andy
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should look at old Jovan bottles...heh.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised there hasn't been much talk about the Japanese bottle. Got mine a few weeks ago. I only wish it had a wider body and a thinner neck. Here's the Japanese one (right) compared to OB's bottle:

I've found a cap that is close, but it is a little short and the top is rounded. I have it on the Japanese bottle. What do you guys think?

I've tried painting other caps with Rustoleum Chrome with piss-poor results. Whoever invented that stuff needs pineapples shoved up their arse for all eternity.

I sprayed the caps with Krylon Fusion Gloss black because it was formulated for plastics. Then I sprayed light coats of chrome on. What a mess. Sometimes the chrome would crinkle. Other times it would get dark blotches. All of this next to areas of perfection. I can't figure it out. One of the caps is on the OB bottle above.

Here is another example. Yuck!

jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with this bottle was no labels. I think that's why there is not as much talk about it. Many passed because of the label situation. At least that's why I passed
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I going to pick one up. Caught one of my guests handling the bottle unattended. Plastic would solve the breakage fears there. Plus I do have an extra set of labels that I can use on it.

On the subject of labels, if you can get the labels off a JWB bottle intact, a little bit of spray fixative on the back of the labels will get them to stick on the bottle and you wouldn't have to worry about home printed labels getting damaged by handling. Granted they aren't going to be screen accurate labels tho.

The cap problem remains unsolved however. I did find a chromed cap with a cork in it on another bottle and in a pinch it fits the OB bottle. And yeah that rattle can chrome never lives up to its hype.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: