FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
a very special Tomenosuke Blaster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: a very special Tomenosuke Blaster Reply with quote

A brief posting tonight, I'll have more later.

This was built for me by Nobutaka Toku, the Japanese gunsmith and craftsman who designed the Tomenosuke Blaster.

Currently Nobu is working on the Marushin blank-firing version of the Blaster, the "Tomenosuke PRO".

Amazing work by Nobu and I am very proud and honored to have this Blaster in my collection.

Last edited by phase pistol on Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: a very special Tomenosuke Blaster Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:
A brief posting tonight, I'll have more later.

This was built for me by Nobutaka Toku, the Japanese gunsmith and craftsman who designed the Tomenosuke Blaster.

Karl --

Let me be the first to congratulate you on this stunning acquisition. I'm delighted that you have been acknowledged for your invaluable contribution to the blaster franchise and to see it done is such a stylish way is fantastic indeed...

This is one of the most gorgeous reproductions of the blaster I have seen and my only request would be to ask if its at all possible to do a comprehensive photoshoot of this beauty as you did with the original WorldCon

Again, warmest congratulations and power to you mate

Best

MARK

Last edited by Staar on Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am extremely happy for you, and I cant think of anybody who deserved it more. My question now is, how does it compare to the real thing?

Andy
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy cow wow! the blaster doesnt get much better than that!you truly deserve this masterpiece Smile
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes congratulations are in order, you do deserve it ! , but one quick question - what's with the Green/blue Led in the ammo box next to the trigger guard in the photo's , it's definitely not a reflection - so why is it there ?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Karl!! Gorgeous blaster for sure, truly one of the best piece out there Cool . It's only fair that you would be the recipient of such beauty.
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge congrats Karl.
Definitely deserved.
She's a beaut.

Neil.
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thing of beauty!
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is truly a masterpiece.

Congrats Karl

As a newer member I'm not that familiar with many members but everyone is saying your the man so again, congrats.

Can anyone fill me in on who Karl is Very Happy
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that trumps every other post on the forum today! Stunning.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameth wrote:

Karl is a long time member here who - amongst other things - reinvigorated interest in this "holy grail" of props when he seized on the opportunity to shoot a raft of high resolution pictures of the original Blade Runner blaster - long thought lost or forgotten. Not only did he shoot the most amazing set of photographs (you can find the files here: http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=156 ), but he shared this resource without hesitation or for any $$ renumeration which lets be honest, is a rare thing these days..

In essence Karl allowed everyone else (myself included) to inspect every aspect of the original prop so that we were in turn able to improve on existing models or create entirely new ones and thus, the reason why you will note that some blasters come with the prefix "WorldCon" indicating their debt of gratitude to Karl - he photographed the original prop at WorldCon in 2006.

When the skilled engineers responsible for the new Tomenosuke blaster decided to make their own superb version, they used Karl's photographs extensively and in the end, these assisted in them creating one of the finest replica's in existence today. Since they would have been unable to proceed as they did without the photographs it seems, that they have seen fit to recognise Karl's contribution with this blaster..

Welcome to Propsummit and I'm sure Karl will be along shortly to correct any details that I've got wrong..

Regards

MARK

phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

I am indeed very thrilled and grateful to have this piece of art. It really is like a sculpture or painting... fragile! It looks very convincingly real, but it is made of soft metal, resin and a few machined parts. it is a built-up of the original Tomenosuke kit, but with many many modifications. Material added and removed, parts reshaped, and so on.

Nobu had the opportunity to personally examine the Hero Prop when it was auctioned at Profiles in 2009. So this replica is one of the finest ever I should think.

It's a cliche to say that "the photos do not do it justice"! But in this case, it would be fair to say that my photos really don't represent it accurately. The "blued steel" parts look brighter in the photos than they do in person. Probably this is true of the hero prop as well! So paint your blasters darker everybody.

Nobu weighted the replica, so it is very heavy and feels much like the real thing!

However I have to keep in mind that this item is FRAGILE... it looks so realistic and heavy, you want to bash it around like it was a piece of steel. But it could break, or the paint could crack, or the blueing could wear off. The soft-metal parts can be easily dented. Handle with care.

Propsjonnyb asked about the BLUE LED on the bottom of the gun. I believe it is like a "safety". Nobu designed the lights to work like this: you flip the ON/OFF switch, and the red LEDs and blue LED go on (they don't SNAP on suddenly either... they GLOW on, fading UP dramatically! A very nice touch).

So first you have the reds lit up and the blue underneath. Then you pull the FRONT trigger, and the blue goes off and the green "laser sight" LEDs go on! You are ready to fire.

A switch has been installed internally so if I want I can turn off the Blue LED altogether. Also potentiometers control the brightness of everything (I had requested that the lights be kept DIM like they appear in the film rather than dazzling bright as in some replicas).

So bottom line, I can see the lights on or off, in any configuration I like. Nobu has buried the wires internally, since I couldn't sanction having the white wires hanging off the side, no matter HOW screen-accurate they are! :lol

There is also an optional "minus head" screw, to swap for the Weaver knob if I like. Overall I was going for a "screen accurate" appearance (not the beat to hell Worldcon condition), but even though it doesn't appear in the film, I still prefer the Weaver.

Mark, thanks for the acknowledgements. While I never felt that Tomenosuke "owed" me anything ("let a thousand flowers bloom"), I am certainly very grateful to Shinji Nakako and his Tomenosuke Team for their fine work and dedication in bringing this replica into existence.

The upcoming Tomenosuke PRO will be an opportunity for more people to own one of their fine replicas. I hope Tomenosuke will release more information soon.

- karl
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition I would like to thank Temponaut for having introduced me to Enomoto, Nobu and the team over at Tomenosuke. You have done a man's job sir.

Karl
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given Tomenosuke's pricing history, one can only hope that the Marushin blaster won't be priced hopelessly beyond the reach of most of us here.
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staar wrote:
jameth wrote:

Karl is a long time member here who - amongst other things - reinvigorated interest in this "holy grail" of props when he seized on the opportunity to shoot a raft of high resolution pictures of the original Blade Runner blaster - long thought lost or forgotten. Not only did he shoot the most amazing set of photographs (you can find the files here: http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=156 ), but he shared this resource without hesitation or for any $$ renumeration which lets be honest, is a rare thing these days..

In essence Karl allowed everyone else (myself included) to inspect every aspect of the original prop so that we were in turn able to improve on existing models or create entirely new ones and thus, the reason why you will note that some blasters come with the prefix "WorldCon" indicating their debt of gratitude to Karl - he photographed the original prop at WorldCon in 2006.

When the skilled engineers responsible for the new Tomenosuke blaster decided to make their own superb version, they used Karl's photographs extensively and in the end, these assisted in them creating one of the finest replica's in existence today. Since they would have been unable to proceed as they did without the photographs it seems, that they have seen fit to recognise Karl's contribution with this blaster..

Welcome to Propsummit and I'm sure Karl will be along shortly to correct any details that I've got wrong..

Regards

MARK

Thank you for the info Mark and thank you Karl for all your contributions. My Rich Coyle Blaster will be incredible and that is in part thanks to you. Thanks again

Tom
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom! Welcome to the board. Enjoy your Blaster!

Karl
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. PMD you
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more shots for the peeps.

I apologize for the dust visible in some shots. I think that must have been picked up by the packing material and was just highlighted severely by the lighting. I have touched it up with the cleaning cloth and it is really not so bad!

Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can imagine wanting to run through the house like Deckard in Sebastion's apartment. Especially since my apartment is littered with android midgets! Smile

Easily one of the most stunning replicas on the planet! Congrats Karl!

You just have to be bursting at the seems. Can you stop looking at it?

Cool
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:
A

This 'peeps' is extremely happy that's for sure..

Many thanks for sharing bud.. its a peach for sure!

Regards

MARK

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: