FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
So what have we learned from the new pictures Rich posted?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helder22
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: So what have we learned from the new pictures Rich posted? Reply with quote

So after all the new info that has surfaced about the Bladerunner blaster, especially the opened up pictures Rich contributed, what have we learned so far?
http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=2722
Let me start with a couple things Ive noticed that either I didnt know or wasnt 100% sure of.

The aluminum grip that slides around the Bulldogs frame appears to be a snug fit pretty much all around, unlike what Tomenosuke did, leaving a gap pretty much all the way around. I already suspected this was the case but since they had done it with the gap and I knew they had had the oportunity to handle the real blaster, I thought they might have been able to see a gap through the grips while handling it. See pic down below of the gap on the Tomenosuke.

Also the aluminum outer grip frame is all black where it contacts the amber grips but the inner Bulldog grip frame, although mostly still black. has had most of the anodizing rubbed off around the edges.

Thirdly the bluing seems to be gone from the whole weapon, like it was done on purpose with the gun disassembled and not simply worn off. Whether this was done after the movie or not is up for discussion.

Last edited by Helder22 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean, the photos "Rich" posted? Shocked
Helder22
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh! Yes, fixed above. Sorry Rich.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To restore or not, that's the question. It seems that the add-on for the grip is of a ''darker'' steel than the Bulldog's grip (they kept the black paint on the edges) as for the bluing gone...well I'm sure that the removal of the rust was the main factor on that one. Wink
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not wanting to uspset anyone , but to be strictly accurate , there should be no alumimium parts used , the CA Bulldog is all steel frame and inner grip , the Styer is all steel, the barrel steel so apart from the ammo box and housing which were plastic on the original everything else should be solid metal. Aluminum parts will be lighter than Pewter, however, both can be easily machined by the hobbyist , to fit . I personally tend to favour Pewter , but that's a personal preference , but I do feel it adds to make the blaster feel more like a proper gun , and you can balance it better . Having seen a Tomenosuke and looked at the possibility of adding Coyle parts , I'd say it's possible but there is an awful lot of work involved , particularly on the gunframe to make the Tomenosuke parts fit and it will not be easy as it wasn't designed for this procedure . I do like the die cast upper reciever very crisp and precise , but the powder coating ? it's just wrong , so it want's stripping and electroplating , then properly blueing or parkerized to be more accurate , then you 'll get something more like the hero when you've finished

Last edited by propsjonnyb on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Helder22
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the grip frame on the real Bulldog is....... Aluminum!
I was surprised when I found out as well. I just finished cutting the trigger guard off my bulldog and thats how I know.
Looking at the pictures of the original blaster it looks to me like the outer grip frame and the but pad are aluminum as well Propsjonnyb. If they were steel like the Steyr and bulldog receivers these parts would look pitted like the steel parts are but they are still shiny and new where the metal is exposed, dont you think?

You are right about the Tomenosuke Outer grip frame not fitting the Bulldog grip frame correctly though. The shapes are slightly off. Sad
hauptmann
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it also theorized that the cylinder shrouds were aluminum too?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Helder said, he is right.

Also, early material comparisons based on color showed the butt plate to be either aluminum or stainless steel. The way it scratches though it is most likely aluminum. I think we ruled out pewter IIRC. This was all way back when the Worldcon photos first showed up at the RPF.

Andy
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, what I should have said was the vintage Bulldog was all steel , I do know that CA started to make small gun parts in aluminium , eg trigger guards , as far as I am aware, the additional parts were stainless steel to match the Styer upper at Ridley's request - so outer handle , triger guard and butt plate nicely polished s/steel. For the hobbyist , Aluminium is easier to work with , but would make for a lighter gun and could upset the balance , I go with Rich's choice of Pewter as it approximates the weight of the gun and has the resin ammo housing and box which makes it more like the hero . If I could have a preference - I would personally go for brass as it can be electroplated and chemically surface treated to be identical to the hero and its weight is closer too. I appreciate that Karl and Rich , when they handled the gun were excited and had only a little time to examine the gun and this is not a criticism of either, but a few simple tests would have confirmed exactly what each part was made of and we wouldn't be having all this speculation today
Helder22
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know about the outer frame and butpad but my Bulldog is even older than the one in the original blaster and the gripframe/triggerguard is aluminum. I'm pretty sure the one in the movie is too.
I actually like the idea of stainless on the other parts though.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly looks like aluminum in the pictures.

Andy
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree absoutely with your points Helder and Andy. The Bulldog's gripframe has the same black anodized or painted appareance of the external gripgrame, hence the materials and finishes are the same for sure... plus Helder already confirmed the point by using a real Bulldog.

I lean towards the alluminium buttplate too. It makes sense that the used the same material all over for the extra custom parts (gripframe and buttplate).

BTW has anyone else noticed (I guess Andy has) that the custom grips on the Hero have a hole drilled in the inner side.

Another question I'd like to rise here is if anyone knows for sure what was the fuction on the holes on the gripframes? I think Phil S. suggested a electrical wire run throught them and than makes sense... but to what purpose? The leds where fed by a battery so what function then?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speculation has been it may have been to light up the grips themselves. There is one scene where it looks lit, but it may just be studio lighting refracting through.

At first I believed it lined up with the matching hole in the front of the grip frame to be wired through. It is in a perfect spot to hide wires going into a sleeve. The front hole does line up, but does not seem to open up to the inside of the grips.

Also I thought it could be a mount point for holding the gun to work on and test fire it without putting it in a clamp and damaging it.

Andy
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what have we learned from the new pictures Rich posted?

That the parts don't fit together very well? Rich, I'm sure there's an explanation, but these are your pictures ……
http://propsummit.com/upload/696/5377040532_4abd9f3143_b.jpeg
http://propsummit.com/upload/696/5372512117_2c899f50e8_b.jpeg
http://propsummit.com/upload/696/5376439419_069f05fbe3_b.jpeg
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted that rear cap problem and had Karl return the model for a correction.

IF you look at the real prop you can see the gap between screw and receiver was filled by rust and junk.

Picky picky....

No model is perfict.

Rich
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you agree, Rich, that at your price point, any (potential) customer should be picky? Just sayin' …...
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those were Karl’s pictures and once I saw that the receiver has opened up in shipping I asked him to ship it back so I could fix it and he did and so I did fix it.

The other two complaints are not anything I worry about; put a flat bottom screw on a round surface and you will see such a gap on the sides…

And for the cocking lever it moves back and forth a little so that will happen.

Granted the Tomenosuke Pro is a good model but A) they had problems with their first run and had a recall and B) May have some later down the line, with me it cost about $15.00 in shipping with them it can run $60.00+ in shipping.

I have an all metal model that I offer in many finishes up to a real shooting Bulldog version.

My model is a prop recreation by a real prop maker theirs is a mass manufactured toy.

You buy what you like.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: