FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner Prequel/Sequel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrison did some real acting for a change, Robin Wright killed it, Sylvia Hoeks was a revelation, Ryan Gosling brought more to this character than I thought he ever could. So many great supporting actors too. The guy running the "orphanage" (Wood Harris?) made so much out of that character.

I want to see Oscars all around!
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: 2049 Reply with quote

Agreed. Thumbs up! Smart, immersive, intense and impactful.

I saw it on an IMAX screen as well. The sound was incredible, as was every aspect of the film from design to dialog. I would be surprised - shocked - if it does not garner Oscars, at least for effects and cinematography. The Academy still seems to shun scifi.

In the end one of Harrison's best performances, but all were ourstanding. I am holding off seeing it again until I can process its many layers. Villeneuve deserves all praise, as well as Deakins, Fancher and Scott for bringing a valid story to the screen when most sequel/prequels fall way short.

Go see it (again)! - R13
neosporing
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
Guess I am the outlier weirdo that didn't like new movie.

you're not the only one.

i really miss the beauty of the 1st film... despite it being regarded as 'noir,' the optimism in the form of color, depth of field and the fusion of retro / deco / and futurism in every scene was a great foil to the noir shadows and themes.
The replayability of the 1st film, with regards to the sound and look. Let it play in the background and give your subconscious something to chew on while your work on a creative endeavor.
This new film just had an oppressive, Orwellian look and sound of dispair .. paired with that stupid inception horn.. BWAAAAAHHH, BWAAAAAAHH... c'mon. I get that it is an expressive piece of sound that captures the breath of a dying city.. but not exactly something i want to sit through in an IMAX theater for repeated viewings without earplugs... and sedation.
Don't get me wrong, I desperately want big budget scifi to be sucessful and understand the need to talk up this film but at the same time there are so many wasted opportunities in this film imho that left me utterly frustrated after walking out of the theater.
I still love the props of the original film.. and didn't see anything in this film that even remotely came close to the elegance and timeless beauty of the PKD blaster, the Cibi glass, ennis tiles (and don't bother pointing out the ennis motif wall paper in k's apt- doesn't count) syd meads spinner and city design.. I know the Vegas skyline was Meads.. but with out the acid etched windows with tiny lights effect of the first film... his designs were just lost in the yellow dust... Just the very message board is a testament to the art design and production design of the 1st film. Will anyone even be able to recognize that ridiculous looking hairdryer 'K' was shooting with 30 years from now?

--Meh.. grumpy old man going back under my rock before i get flamed to death.

Last edited by neosporing on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a fantastic film. So relieved they did it well.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: SHADES OF THE PAST Reply with quote

A valid point Neo and we all have our opinions. Rightfully so.

It may grow on you with time.

Or not.

I thought the film was beautifully crafted and the score was good (although not so melodic), but it's rather impossible to better Vangelis's masterpiece and the tone it set.

For some entering Ridley's world for the first time with "2049", it may work as a stand-alone.

A friend who grew up well after the original, watched it for the first time last week and had a difficult time with it. It's pacing, the darkness and the story. Considering all that has come after it ("Se7en", "The Matrix", etc.) - all copying its themes, its mood and style, the originality and impact is greatly diffused.

He has yet to see "2049". Time will tell . . - R13
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There villain/antgonist in this film doesn't comes close to Roy Batty's character, performance and all time great death scene.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Art Deckard on Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm passionate about Blade Runner (both movies now!)...but not obsessed Wink
To think that this movie would be "the same" as the first one is absurd at best!
I actually didn't want to see the same movie shot in 82; besides, it's 2049, not 2019. For sure, this new one is a stand alone movie.

As for new original ideas, I think that a Replicant getting pregnant and giving birth is a pretty good idea in my book.
I liked the L.A. transformed in a brutalist kind of architecture: nearly empty conaps, bare furniture, Hong-Kong type of apt. with people living in corridor, etc.
Grey palette for L.A. and even the farm lands transforming into that red/orange hue of the radio-active zone made for visually striking images!
As for the Deckard's/Rachael's daughter working as a contractor of "memories implants" for Niander is ironic.

There's only one Batty and he cannot be replaced. He had his moment in the Sun and died.
I really felt sorry for K. and his realization that all of those memories were not his. His death scene, on the stairs, with the snow falling around/on him
is very emotional. Getting back to the same question: what's making us human, our humanity and the knowledge of our finite existence.
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall I found it tedious and unnecessary, however, it did get good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes of which Warner Brothers has a 30% stake..

Last edited by Bwood on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disaster at US box office for opening weekend. Not only where the numbers low but attendance fell off precipitously From Friday to Sunday. Not off to a good start.
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautifully done.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
Disaster at US box office for opening weekend. Not only where the numbers low but attendance fell off precipitously From Friday to Sunday. Not off to a good start.

It did almost exactly what they were expecting in Europe. It hasn't opened yet in Japan, China, or South Korea.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bwood wrote:
Overall I found it tedious and unnecessary, however, it did get good reviews on Rotten Tomatoes of which Warner Brothers has a 30% stake..

Rotten Tomatoes is an aggregator. They don't do their own reviews.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus7 wrote:
hirohawa wrote:

It did almost exactly what they were expecting in Europe. It hasn't opened yet in Japan, China, or South Korea.

Overseas take is much smaller slice of the pie than in US. Plus there are three production entities that financed and distributed this making the take even smaller for Alcon that did all the heavy lifting. No silver lining here.
Pierre990429
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it ! fraktastic (BSG fans here ? Wink ) film !

btw, did you see ? The French car manufacturer Peugeot constructed the spinner. Smile

There was a VW beetle too.

Also, this is situated in an alternate universe, as there is an advertising for Pan Am, if I'm not mistaken.

Now, can Deckard still be a replicant ? Lifespan ?

Villeneuve, imho, managed to show something new WITHOUT destroying the original BR.

I liked the "new" brutal and aggressive "à la Vangelis" musical theme.

The end was very touching too, with the same musical score (Tears in rain) during K's death, and Ana's hand from the next scene appearing the exact moment (when you hear a slight drum I think) when Roy set the dove free in the original BR.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
Nexus7 wrote:
hirohawa wrote:

Overseas take is much smaller slice of the pie than in US. Plus there are three production entities that financed and distributed this making the take even smaller for Alcon that did all the heavy lifting. No silver lining here.

For you, there never is. Laughing
Talyn
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So was the implication that Rachael left before she had the child? Did Deckard just give her the horse to give to the child then? Did they live together in Vegas, or did that end up being his hideout afterward?

How did she end up finding a group of outcast replicants who covered for her?

Lots of questions about the missing parts we didnt see.

And here's a fun one. Is Joi more real to K because they are both manufactured and he doesnt see much difference between them?
Ki-Djowac
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again,

felt like i had to revisit propsummit after watching Blade Runner 2049 twice and i am planning a third if i get the chance. Oh yes i am.

Anyways, the bs about the box office : my 2 cents : you cannot judge a masterpiece with a superficial measuring stick like money. This will stand the test of time just like the first one. It's visually breathtaking, masterful acting, excellent story. A great gift to any Blade Runner fan, i NEED to see this in IMAX if i get the chance. Fingers crossed.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus7 wrote:
hirohawa wrote:
Nexus7 wrote:
hirohawa wrote:

Actually there is a silver lining for me. A boring, lackluster movie with a weak villain is not getting rewarded at the Box office.
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
Nexus7 wrote:
hirohawa wrote:
Nexus7 wrote:
hirohawa wrote:

Actually there is a silver lining for me. A boring, lackluster movie with a weak villain is not getting rewarded at the Box office.

Really??? You didn't like the film? We had no idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: