FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Japan Earthquake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Japan Earthquake Reply with quote

My thoughts and prayers go out to our members and their families in Japan, and also to all the people there today.

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary / Temponaut is fine, got an email from him this morning to tell everything was OK for him and his family !

Hope everything's OK too for Junichi / NYzeki...

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news indeed, I received an e-mail from a few friends teaching English in Tokyo...shaken but alright. Saw the images on T.V. this morning and the destruction is incredible: deep thoughts for the Japanese people in this difficult time Crying or Very sad
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope everyone makes it out of this mess. Prayers sent.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to echo the sentiments in this thread.

Hope Propsummit's Japanese friends and their families are safe.
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts too go out to our Japanese friends.

I went through the 1994 Northridge earthquake in Los Angeles, which was "only" a 6.7. That event pales in comparison to today's quake and aftereffects in Japan. i can't imagine being in the hard-hit areas.

Good luck all!

Tony
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard from Conety Kato from Hartford, and he says that every one there is 100% OK. I thought the hartford shop was near Tokyo, but it is central and safe he says.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe NYzeki is from Osaka (south west of Tokyo), but have not heard back from him yet. Most of all the damage happened north of Tokyo by over a hundred miles. They felt it in Tokyo, but no major damage. The tip of the Tokyo tower (replica of Eiffel tower) is now bent though.

Andy
Fangorn81
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of my ex is unable to find out anything about her family.

It's kind of crazy.

Joah Mahan
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fangorn81, I hope she'll receive news soon.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody heard from NYzeki? He hasn't returned my PM's or updated his site in a while.

Andy
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard from him and Gary the day after the quake and both were OK. I have since PM'd NYzeki and Temponaut after the reactor business and have not heard anything back. Hope they are still OK.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted by Gary on the RPF 3 days ago :

A buddy of mine gave me a heads-up about the existence of this thread.

THANK YOU, everyone who has posted here, as well as to the many of you who have sent me e-mails in the past few days expressing your concern and offering your help. I can't tell you how much this means to me and my family.

I'm sorry for not having responded to the individual messages yet. I'll do so in the coming days. Things have been hectic and confusing here.

The earthquake was easily the worst I've ever been in, and I've lived for most of my life in two quake-prone areas, Japan and California. But as scary as it was, I feel that it wouldn't be right for me to dwell on how "hard" things have been for us, since there are so many people farther north who have been truly devastated.

If you've been following the news, you know that there is also an escalating crisis at a nuclear power plant in Fukushima, about 250 kilometers N-NE of Tokyo, brought on by the earthquake and following tsunami. Six reactors are in or near critical condition, and radioactive material has already escaped into the atmosphere.

Tokyo has been on a schedule of rolling blackouts, public transportation is limited, and many businesses are closed or operating with reduced staffs. A lot of people have evacuated Tokyo for parts of Japan farther west, trying to put more distance between themselves and the reactors. Many who have remained are stocking up on supplies, and stores shelves are weirdly bare.

In addition to my wife and one-year-old son, I have my wife's father, brother, sister-in-law, our niece, and my own mother and sister all living in Tokyo. None of us was injured in the earthquake, although our various homes suffered a little bit of damage. What we're worried about now is the nuclear crisis. Children are particularly susceptible to poisoning by iodine-131 (already released into the atmosphere by explosions at the reactors), and although the change in Tokyo's measured radiation levels has been negligible, we're afraid of what could happen if there are further explosions or worse. For this reason we might evacuate to Osaka tomorrow for at least a few days, in the hope that the reactor situation will be resolved in that time. One of the reasons we haven't left yet is that, for various reasons, the other members of my family either aren't able or aren't willing to evacuate. We don't blame them for this, of course, but it's been hard to deal with feelings of "leaving them behind."

Things are still up in the air here... but, again, I hardly feel entitled to complain, given the incomprehensible hardships that others have faced and are facing not far to the north.

Thank you all again for your good thoughts and offers of aid. It's a source of strength to know that you are thinking of us.

More from me soon.

repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this testimony Fred, i feel very concerned with the tragedy that still happening in Japan...

Here is a link to make donations :

http://www.google.com/crisisresponse/japanquake2011.html

I know Japan is a rich country but it could help anyway !...

Phil
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Fred. Japan needs our help (the country will be the first to reach 1 quadrillon $ in debt this year Shocked : one of the only rich country to do so). The reconstruction will take at least 5 years and , for now, we can only hope for a quick solution to the nuclear situation happening right now in this country...no need to say that the economic/social situation will be disturbed for years to come: very sad indeed Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: