FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
one-of-a-kind BR end tables
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photek wrote:

Photek

I am intrigued by your particular Ennis-Brown tile. haven't seen one with exactly that pattern. Do you have a history on the tile you can share?

Here is an image, I have no origin to credit, that shows the more common block style.

and another

Is your block an interpretation or one used in a specific area of the home?
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good eye Jedirick!
you hit it on the head. the tile is indeed an artist's interpretation of the original. i asked about this very thing and he told me that for legal purposes, he could not make an exact replica. instead he made this slightly altered version.

so there you have it - as close as this fan could get without taking one from the site. and ... having made the pilgrimage to the Ennis House in LA while it was falling apart, i could have done just that - reached out and grabbed a tile that was just laying there in the sand! let me know if anyone is interested in photos from my BR shooting locations self-guided trip (Los Angeles: November 2005). i have Ennis House, Bradbury Building, Million Dollar Theater, and 2nd Street Tunnel shots.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the idea that those tiles were littering the ground...ERK Shocked ....you know at least a few people took them. If only the house put some of them up for sale to fund the reconstruction. I heard somewhere that they were tossed into dumpsters (maybe from you Photek)...sorry but I would be dumpster diving. If they yelled at me I would give them back and say "but I thought you were throwing them away". I may have even paid neighbor kids to grab some for me. Man, My heart actually stalls thinking they may have thrown them away.
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah - it was such an ironic sight. i drove all that way to see this amazing place ... and half the tiles on the south face were laying on the hill scattered here and there - some in good shape, some rubble. i remember there was one tile just a couple of feet away. i could literally have reached through the fence and pulled it up and over.... knowing how tough it was to get tiles but knowing i wanted more than one and many others do as well, i refrained not wishing to ruin karma (and i'm not even superstitious!). but the devil in me was screaming "take it! they're just gonna toss it!" and they did ...

had i been there for the phase 1 - demo and site clean-up prior to reconstruction, i would have been there in the dumpster right alongside you andy!
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone that frequents the forums told me that one of the Brown descendants that lived in the home, prior to it being purchase by the restoration organization, sold copies of the tiles and evidently was stopped by FLW foundation.
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello folks. Old BR fan just stumbled across this site from a link on BladeZone. Just thought I'd pass on some stuff I posted over there about the EBH blocks.

I'm relieved that none of you gave into temptation and stole the actual blocks from the house in LA. As you are aware, the house is in a terrible state and so the decent thing to do is dig deep and buy one of the replica tyles that they sell to visitors.

On the subject of home decoration. Myself and a friend made up 9 or 10 copies to use in my flat but we never got around to finding a decent surface coating that would give them a convincing finish. The concrete used in the building of the house was made with local sand. and thats what gives it that distinctive golden colour. Anyhow i may get around to finishing the project one day.

So heres a few scraps from BZ.

I purchased a couple of full size ones off the Ennis-Brown website about 7 years back. They had them in two smaller sizes also. The actual transaction took place over the phone but you could browse the tiles in their online shop. The website has been overhauled since them. Try giving them a ring.

Precinct wrote:
This a snap i just took of one of my EBH tiles.

Precinct wrote:
Thanks to the wayback machine you can travel backwards in time and browse the old EBH site.

The tiles were 99 Dollars apiece, and i bought two and had them shipped to the UK ... and then there was the import duty. Obviously i was more obsessed than i care to admit.

Heres the URL: http://web.archive.org/web/19981111191641/http://www.ennisbrownhouse.org/
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the hopeful impression that things had started to progress on the restoration. heard the restoration foundation finally got their crap together. I have been a bit concerned since their website and on-line shop went to the dogs.

I'd gladly pick up some reproductions if they offer them Iro0nically the other 3 FLW textile block homes have tiles available through the FLW foundation. E-B House is the only one that does not!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they would sell some of the tiles we would buy them, but for some unkown lack of forsight they are one of the few that isn't being sold currently. And why in hell would they throw them away????? I am sure we would all even buy broken ones. I would anyway.

Also the site clone is being blocked.... Sad
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedirick wrote:
I was under the hopeful impression that things had started to progress on the restoration. heard the restoration foundation finally got their crap together. I have been a bit concerned since their website and on-line shop went to the dogs.

I'd gladly pick up some reproductions if they offer them Iro0nically the other 3 FLW textile block homes have tiles available through the FLW foundation. E-B House is the only one that does not!

Hi pal.

Yeah the old Ennis website had a full gift shop you could browse but you still had to make any purchases over the phone so just inquire that way.
The full size tiles are 16 inches by 16 inches.

Even though they are only replicas they are beautiful (and quite expensive) things to own. I regret using my second one to make a latex mould to be honest as the material the tiles are made out of is quite porous and the pricess left it with a quite dull appearance. Experienced prop makers may find a way round this.

BTW i'm assuming that discussing the reproduction of tiles for a home DIY project is ok. Confused
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
If they would sell some of the tiles we would buy them, but for some unkown lack of forsight they are one of the few that isn't being sold currently. And why in hell would they throw them away????? I am sure we would all even buy broken ones. I would anyway.

Also the site clone is being blocked.... Sad

I saved the whole thing to a disk somewhere. Will have a dig out soon and try and find it.
Basically there were 3 sizes of tile as pictured above and a couple of planters. Then you got everything from stationary to art prints.

Did anyone spot the genuine BR prop tile that the EBH sold on ebay about two years ago?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think their might be an old thread on the tile from Ebay...actually I think it was on propcircle. I have pics from there and the one from screenused which they now keep in their own private collection.

As far as personal projects about the tiles I think that is okay as long as selling and prices are not discussed. We dont want the Frank Lloyd Wright Mafia on our butts Wink
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just this kind of chatter i have been waiting to see! the reconstruction is apparently in full swing - i check the Ennis House site (ennishouse.org) about once a month and they post a new .pdf letter to neighbors outlining construction schedules and placement of big equipment, etc. each time i read about the hundreds of new tiles going back up i cant believe i will have the chance to visit it once more - but actually go inside this time! before they closed it there were tours and a gift shop on site. i would think they will do the same once again to help fund maintenance. i think we will all have a shot at nice new tiles one day soon - and precinct is right , it was FLW who wanted to make it something of an an organic home and used the sand from the site so it looked like it was part of the hill. unfortunately, they did not have the proper treatments for sandstone in the early 20's and they began to simply turn to dust after decades of weather.

i too agree we should be able to discuss private projects utilizing tiles in our homes since we arent selling them. we are exchanging original ideas which i would think is ok. its nice to see there are others with this very same idea. thanks for sharing everyone.
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been itching to do an entire room with the tiles.

After some thought I decided that I wanted to use paper pulp cast in a plaster mould as the medium due to the cheap construction material. To do an entire wall would be prohibitive in any other medium! Also, the chunky paper texture would be a closer replication of the stone texture than vacuformed tiles would achieve. I also don't have a vacuform machine so that helped decide it , too!

It's cool to see other have thought of doing up there home BR style, too.

Nick
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking into alternate materials as well. I was looking into fire retardent insulating foam. Supposedly you can inject it into a mold and even sculpt it after it has cured. It also comes in a stone look for basements. Have yet to try it out though.
sethb6025
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering making some via vac form then spraying them with texture spray paint, but the paper pulp idea might be a good bet.
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one of the prop dealer sites they have what they claim to be an original tile. It appears to be vac'd and painted with the fake rock speckle paint you can easily get.

http://www.screenused.com/items/index.cfm?inventory_id=327

Nick
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the stretching in the speckles on the side it looks like it might have been formed using plastic sheet that was already speckled...
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
from the stretching in the speckles on the side it looks like it might have been formed using plastic sheet that was already speckled...

That's vac-formed or my momma had no children!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jedirick wrote:

That's vac-formed or my momma had no children!

Yeah...I think we all agree on that Rick Razz ...you were adopted Shocked Wink
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sho nuff.

It looks similar to hot tub material that I've seen before.

edit-

here's a spa plasticc with a similar color-
http://www.thermospas.com/images/DesertStone-lg.gif

Nick

Last edited by nickdaring on Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: