FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
The Blade Runner Tile Project(s)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: The Blade Runner Tile Project(s) Reply with quote

I was approached by one of the members here about the feasibility of making 1/6 scale versions of the "Blade Runner" Tile on my CNC. Said I'd take a crack at it.

I happened to have in my collection one of the vacu-formed ABS tiles, unpainted. I can't say for certain that it's left over from the movie but it's at least pulled off the same molds.

Using measurements from the tile, I created a CG model of it in Rhino, a 3D modeling software package.

That model was scaled down and then sent to the CNC machine where the shape was milled in medium density urethane foam. The miniature tile measures 2.66 inches square.

This one was milled from 10 pound density foam which gave it a nice, but possibly too heavy texture. I also milled one from 15 pound foam which was a bit finer. I used a 1/16" diameter ball end mill which does leave rounded inside corners but for the most part those were pretty easy to clean up.

It's not really practical to milled each tile like this, it takes about an hour to mill just one tile, but the intent is to use it as a master, pull a mold and cast the quantity needed. I poured the mold tonight, tomorrow we'll see how the castings look.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"

Last edited by DaveG on Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:57 am; edited 4 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's extremely cool Dave! I don't think that the round corners are an issue (not at that scale IMO)...I'm sure Ben will be tickled pink about that one for sure; now I wouldn't mind that as a key holder (in another more solid medium of course )
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE....that is very cool. and yes... the level of detail is perfect for the scale. Cool
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice work DaveG. love this tile no matter the size or media ... i would think between this mini version and the 3-D plans of Deckard's conapt on another thread - wont be long before we see a 1/6 scale version diorama ...

keep us apprised as to your intentions with these. i often use 2" accent tiles in bathrooms and just about anywhere else ... i would much rather replace those with these beauties!
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured folks would get a kick out of these! I know I just sat there staring at them. Somedays I impress even me!

I was able to use a square tool to go in and compress the foam in the corners sharpening them up a bit. It'll be a lot easier to see how they look when I can pour a casting since the resin is more opaque than the foam. Also, believe it or not, these are only a test. a smaller diameter ball nose cutter has been ordered which will make for sharper corners. In particular, I'd like the inverse pyramid in the center to read a little better.

Of course, the great thing is that the file can be scaled to mill out a tile at any size, and out of other materials! I'm thinking how cool it would be to have one about 12 inches square in solid walnut! It could also be milled in reverse to use as a mold for clay tiles.

Stay tuned.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good work again Dave: my plan was to make those tile into a egg-carton kind of material, I'm sure foam would be as good as a medium to produce those in a larger scale (I like the fact that the foam is light and could be easely applied to a wall with regular contact cement).
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Very good work again Dave: my plan was to make those tile into a egg-carton kind of material, I'm sure foam would be as good as a medium to produce those in a larger scale (I like the fact that the foam is light and could be easely applied to a wall with regular contact cement).

Yes, I've been thinking about ways to do a wall in my office with larger tiles. Expanding urethane foam is one possibility. Just something to be aware of is that urethane foams tend to "outgas" for quite a while after pouring, like weeks and weeks, some people can be very sensitive to the odor. I don't think it's the healthiest thing.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but can be painted also to diminish the problem of out-gasing odours Wink
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, thanks for accepting my offer to do these... i can now envision my 1/6 scale apartment fleshed out a wee bit better, and since it is a dimensional item versus a printed graphic, the lighting will be much cooler looking! Cool
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really promising for sure. Just one note though. The ones used in the movie were a mirror image to this tile. How easy would it be to flip the model before you CNC them again? I will be watching this thread with anticipation.

Andy
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Looking really promising for sure. Just one note though. The ones used in the movie were a mirror image to this tile. How easy would it be to flip the model before you CNC them again? I will be watching this thread with anticipation.

Andy

Why they are indeed! Thanks Andy. Easy fix.

panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very interesting indeed. Looking forward to the future of this thread.
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: First Castings Reply with quote

Here are some castings from the test molds. These are from the part made with the 15 pound foam. The parts from the 10 pound look cool to the eye but the surface is too rough to paint easily. Washes would be problematic.

I've ordered some finer cutting bits and will cut new, properly mirrored patterns, as soon as they come in.

Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, cannot wait to start fabricating the apartment now
hauptmann
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to get a tile of some type as a wall plaque/hanger for my Tomensuke pro.

Interested in making one for me, but maybe a bit larger than 1/6 scale? Maybe 1/2 scale?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Dave...while the tiles in Deckard's apt. were with the little square at the bottom left hand side and the deep groove on top, yours is with the little square at the bottom right hand side and the deep groove on top.

Now if you want to have the same as Deck, you'll have to make an entire new tile: small square at the bottom left hand side and deep groove on top Wink

On another topic: I'm eager to see the Ben's apt and the first pics of those miniature tiles on the wall Cool
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:

Now if you want to have the same as Deck, you'll have to make an entire new tile: small square at the bottom left hand side and deep groove on top Wink

Can he not just 'flip' the 3D model as Andy suggested?
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art Deckard wrote:
joberg wrote:

Can he not just 'flip' the 3D model as Andy suggested?

Oh Frack! That's all I had to do?!!! 12 hours of remodeling time wasted!

Kidding. Flipped it. Took 5 seconds.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had this type of discussion before, but I'll explain again.(btw Art Deckard has the right apt. tile on his avatar).

Movie tile: small square at the bottom left-hand side and deep groove at the top of the tile.
If you "flip" that tile to have the small square at the bottom right-hand side the deep groove will be now at the left-hand side of the tile.

See? If you want a mirror image of this design, you'll have to re-do a new tile from scratch.
And that's what FLLW did at Ennis house: some tiles are of the mirror image type of placement in the house, also some are flipped (on the facade mainly and are now looking like the tile Dave produced).
[/img]http://propsummit.com/upload/502/025.jpg[img][/img][url]
[/url]
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:

If you "flip" that tile to have the small square at the bottom right-hand side the deep groove will be now at the left-hand side of the tile.

See? If you want a mirror image of this design, you'll have to re-do a new tile from scratch.]

Not to put too fine a point on it... but no re-model is necessary. There are two ways to think about it, 1) mirror the tile on the lower left corner to upper right corner diagonal, keeps the sqaure in the lower left corner and moves the groove to the top. 2) Mirror the tile on the vertical axis then rotate it 90 degrees clockwise. Same result.

Took 5 seconds, I've already cut several tiles, they look perfect!

Okay, here's a mind twister for you all... when you look in a mirror, why is your reflection flipped side to side, but not top to bottom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: