FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
A New Snub Nose Blaster from Goldberg Arms
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like it Cool
nyreaper
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great!! keep it up Smile
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCOFFMAN wrote:
"Though you really can't get much more elegant than a slotted screw. A simple classic design that has been around for centuries."

Nawww.... you still can't get past the fact that Duct Tape is even more elegant than a slotted screw. I mean, can you even sculpt underwear out a slotted screw? No, but you can out of Duct Tape!

scoff

I hope I've made my point that screw envy is a waste of time...

You do know what "Elegant" means right? Wink

I was talking about design, and a circle and a line through it is about as elegant as you can get. Duct tape is pretty much the antithesis of Elegance Razz I am guessing you were being sarcastic anyway Smile

I also wasn't showing any preference, just trying to be impartial, and see the benefits of each. The truly most elegant solution anyway, would be no visible fasteners at all. I am all for different interpretations on this gun and as many variations as people are willing to come up with. That is why I am glad everybody has their own desires and tastes when concerning the guns.

Thank you again Dave for showing us your work on this, and let me know if you need any more parts. keep up the good work man.

Andy
SCOFFMAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
SCOFFMAN wrote:
"Though you really can't get much more elegant than a slotted screw. A simple classic design that has been around for centuries."

Nawww.... you still can't get past the fact that Duct Tape is even more elegant than a slotted screw. I mean, can you even sculpt underwear out a slotted screw? No, but you can out of Duct Tape!

scoff

I hope I've made my point that screw envy is a waste of time...

You do know what "Elegant" means right? Wink

I was talking about design, and a circle and a line through it is about as elegant as you can get. Duct tape is pretty much the antithesis of Elegance Razz I am guessing you were being sarcastic anyway Smile

I also wasn't showing any preference, just trying to be impartial, and see the benefits of each. The truly most elegant solution anyway, would be no visible fasteners at all. I am all for different interpretations on this gun and as many variations as people are willing to come up with. That is why I am glad everybody has their own desires and tastes when concerning the guns.

Thank you again Dave for showing us your work on this, and let me know if you need any more parts. keep up the good work man.

Andy

You know what facetious means, right? Very Happy I was throwing in a little bit of comic relief to the conversation... it was getting too "deep".

Anyway I hope my off the cuff remarks didn't offend anyone... it doesn't seem that they did but you never know. I now return you to your original conversation...
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, facetious is a better word for it than sarcastic. I was just checking Wink

Andy
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Back to Work! Reply with quote

I'm on hiatus from the movie for a couple of weeks so it's back to work on the Snubby! Here are the, almost finished, side covers. They were milled out using the computer model on the CNC router and then, in the case of the right side cover, further refined with chisels, files and sandpaper.

One of the great things about working with the CNC is the ease of editing the shapes. Once I milled out the left side cover I felt it was too small when placed on the frame. So I scaled the computer model, but in only two directions, height and depth, and milled out a second, more satisfactory part. Here's a photo of the two versions, the first one on the bottom, and the final part on the top.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's coming along nicely!

Interesting on the side plate. The smaller one does look better in the side by side, to my eye, but on the gun, I can see what you mean.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
She's coming along nicely!

Oh Yeah!!

regards

MARK

panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So cool to see this go from an idea in ones and zeros to a real work of art you can hold in your hand.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sir, that's how I like it Cool Good job once again Dave.
Daddy Solo
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just love where this is going! me wanna see more Shocked
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Site Tube Reply with quote

Yesterday I turned the pattern for the site tube on the lathe. It still needs to be knurled on the back end.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Master Grip Patterns Reply with quote

Here the master grip patterns have been finished up. The surface was progressively wet sanded with wet-n-dry sandpaper (the black kind) starting with 280 grit, then proceeding through 320, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 & 2000 grits. Then they were polished to a soft shine using a buffing wheel and White Diamond Tripoli compound.

Rather than cut the checkering patterned into these patterns, I'm going to pull molds and then cast up intermediate "blanks". This will allow me to experiment with different checkering patterns and inlay options.

Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if awesomer is not yet a word, i declare it is now! Very Happy
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you decide to produce some grips without checkering, I'd love it! Smile

They look amazing. Even as they are now, with a polished composite wood look, it's pretty cool.
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
And if you decide to produce some grips without checkering, I'd love it! Smile

They look amazing. Even as they are now, with a polished composite wood look, it's pretty cool.

Thanks! With this mold I can indeed, and will, produce un-checkered grips. I like the idea of having grips that you can easily see through to items and decorations inside.

I'm also thinking of having the masters digitally scanned so one-offs could be milled on the CNC out of exotic hardwoods and composite resin materials.

Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are machine - warmest congratulations!

Regarding the grips, I recall another member here (marsattack) making some ivory style grips with a medallion insert. Another variation that might be worth considering?

Wonderful work mate.

highest regards

MARK

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty all around Dave Cool Love the job on grips and the side metal piece that you turned on the lathe is also very well done.
skullsoldier
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just outstanding work all around. That sight rod is spectacular and those grips! I honestly thought they were renderings, not the actual grips. Wonderful stuff!

S
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Grip Mold and Casting Reply with quote

Here's the mold and a set of intermediate grip castings that will be engraved with the checkering patterns. I love the color of this resin, it looks like antique ivory! Hmmm.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18

Jump to: