FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
The sega light gun
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: The sega light gun Reply with quote

OK, so I found one of these for next to nothing on ebay, because it didn't work anymore. I'm not quite sure why I had the impulse to even look for one of these, but I did, and I found for just a couple of bucks.

The overall look of the gun only has a passing resemblance to the BR blaster. The grip and triggers and very different (obviously) and it's much bigger and bulkier.

It has, for lack of a better way to say "bumps and shapes" in generally the same places. Smile

You like where they put that silver mettalic sticker? Kinda where the ejection port of the Steyr is. Wink

I have some better comparison pics at home I will post later on.

My intention is the paint this sucker with some nice flat black (except for the grips) and weather it up and add it to the BR blaster collection. It's an oddity to say the least, but I figured what the hell.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how the silver warning sticker is placed where the ejector port is. I think it is a "recast" if you ask me Wink
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: sega... Reply with quote

the price of those lightguns just went up huh?
good find....no , GREAT find!
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that does have an amazing resemblence. Very nice find!!

Watch out, we will start seeing people paint these and selling them on ebay soon as a BR Blaster...lol
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are about as accurate as a Marco anyway Smile
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! I love my Marco!
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's about the same size as a marco.

Here are a few more pics. This one is just to show you what I think is the most like side. It even has the cylinder release above the grip. The portion in front of it is round, and it even sorta has a "pointer" above the cylinder.

Now this was weird.

That's NOT weathering on the end of the coyle barrel, that's camera flash reflection. It created a perfect silver circle there. What are the friggin odds??

Anyway, this shows the bevel on the end of the barrel as well. The overall size is ofcoarse HUGE, but the sega light gun has a bevel that I think looks just like the bevel on Rich's models.

Interesting. I'm thinking about drilling some holes and wiring some LED's into the gun.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this picture of the packaging on the net....

It seems to have been packaged with the Virtua Cop game...the art on the box also shows a very BR like paint scheme. This is not the american version of the gun either. The american version was called the Sega "Stunner" light gun. Their prices do seem a bit high, but the higher priced ones don't seem to be selling either.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny that you posted in here today, as I was intending to paint this sucker today, and post pics of the progress.

However, it ended up raining.

Well, I'm getting ahead of myself. I woke up much earlier than intended. I woke up to our chow mix having a siezure in the bed. She has grand maul siezures, so they are very violent. She handles them well, I just wish the medication controlled them better.

My intention today was to do 2 things, paint and wire the light gun. All I got done was to drill some holes:

Then, after I was sure her siezure was done and she wasn't going to continue having them, I drove on up to Radio Shack and got a soldering iron set, LED's, some resistors, and batteries.

I figure the gun is made to be wired inside, I might as well wire in some LEDS. My intention is to hook them to the big round switch on the side.

I want to do 6 LEDS, 4 red, and 2 blue (because I couldn't find any green ones at RS) in the sights.

I have discussed wiring with Rick a little, and felt like I had a decent grasp on what I needed.

Then I got to Radio Shack and ofcoarse realized that I know NOTHING about wiring electronics!!!!!!!

Less than.

SO, here you are witnessing the birth/start of a grown man learning an entirely new skill. I've come to the conclusion that if I want to build my own damn props, I have to learn how to wire/power up LEDS.

I've developed some pretty good resin working skills, some very basic casting/molding skills. I'm a demon with a dremel, and I love working with aluminum/metal odds and ends.

It's time to learn electronics.

My first real hurdle? I don't know where to start. hahaha. Laughing

I need advice from other members who know wiring.

I want to wire the light gun before I tackle wiring the LEDS for Rick's snubby blaster, because I don't want to screw that one up. The light gun is my electronics/soldering testing ground, so to speak.

I've done searching around online, but I walked out of Radio Shack clueless if I eve bought the right kind of resistors or batteries. Shocked

Advice on books to purchase, sites to visit, or just some practical "here's how I'd do it" posts are GREATLY appreciated guys.
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

SO, here you are witnessing the birth/start of a grown man learning an entirely new skill. I've come to the conclusion that if I want to build my own damn props, I have to learn how to wire/power up LEDS.

I've done searching around online, but I walked out of Radio Shack clueless if I eve bought the right kind of resistors or batteries. Shocked

Advice on books to purchase, sites to visit, or just some practical "here's how I'd do it" posts are GREATLY appreciated guys.

Radio Shack! Man they piss me off! If they were in charge of world technology, we'd be replicating by candlelight! I'm clueless as well, but when I leave a Radio Shack I am worse off than when I entered. I think clerk training is limited to recognizing the difference in appearance of AA, C and D batteries. Knowledge of AAA and 9 volt earns a management position. Laughing

I can't even pick out 5 identical LEDS and a mini- switch and get someone to show me a small but adequate battery holder and resitor/capacitor thingy I'll need to make a circuit. I've walked in with a list of parts from Hyperdyne or another electronics geek and been told "it won't work!"

I've gutted a number of chintzy items from "I'm Irish buttons" to battery operated clip-on booklights to get something illuminated. Target's dollar bins have yielded some interesting lighted items over the years.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, gutting somehting else might be an option I mess around with for other projects, but I'm intentionally trying to learn something new here!!

That's actually a good suggestion I didn't really think of before.

I don't have any issue with Radio Shack, but it's funny when I mentioned I was looking for materials to wire LEDs the sales person said "SWEET" then basically ran away and disappeared. hahaha. I never expect those people to know anything anyway. I know I'm on my own!!!

Shocked

EDIT: Made some progress on the painting front. Primed and painted today with my favorite Krylon ULTRA flat black!!

SSB
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, the Virtua Gun Guardian — always liked the look of that.

Here are some pics for reference:

I think you oughta enter that baby in the BR blaster contest — it's clearly BR inspired.

Smile

-Mike
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Noeland,

Here is the Radio Shack Notebook I told you about. I've scanned the pages regarding LED's too. I hope it will be helpful.

Rick

Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you oughta enter that baby in the BR blaster contest — it's clearly BR inspired.

Perhaps if I weren't a judge and prize contributor in the contest, I'd have a shot!! Wink

Rick, thank you, thank you, thank you. I must admit upon initial reading I'm more confusd than ever. Shocked
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little WIP post to show off the painting and weatheering. Finally got a few days where I got out of work at the normal 8 hr mark instead of 12, 14, or 17 hours. Sad

And the weathering in Atlanta right now is perfect for spray painting. Warm and dry.

I took a lesson from Matt Wordsell (Matsuo/Matsucorp) and started using a Sharpie Mettalic for weathering. I have a little trick to get the holster worn, "rubbed and scuffed" look. The markers work great, but they dry almost instantly, so, well I'm getting ahead of myself, some pictures first.

The first thing I did was mask off the grips. I knew I couldn't get a transparent "amber" look, but I knew I wanted them to be masked off.

Some Rustoleum automotive primer, and Krylon Ultra-Flat black later:

After removing the painters tape:

After 48 hours of curing:
Let the WEATHERING commence.

OK, so my trick?

The ink from the pen dries almost instantly, so within a few seconds of lying down a thick spot on a corner or inside a dimple, I give the ink a very small, short smear with my finger. After a few times enough ink gets built up on your finger that you can give some parts of the gun a "worn" feel without the pen. Then I go back with the pen and hit the corners and certain other areas with the tip to give it a "bare metal" look.

It works very well with the Ultra flat black. I have a lot of fun doing this stuff, if you can't tell, now I just need to fire up that soldering iron and start WIRING.

Hopefully this weekend, but the Alanta Comic Expo is this weekend, so I have a feeling I'll be lost in panels and pages this weekend and won't really have the time.

Thanks for looking. Wink
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!!!

Rick
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking really sweet Noeland! After reading Matt's suggestions about the Sharpie I tried it too--nice little trick isn't it?

When you posted first about not being able to make the grips transparent, I was going to suggest trying out Birdie's "Mother of Pearl" technique in oranges & browns, for the tortoise shell look--but I like the direction you're going with them.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more info on this gun. The american version was Red while the European version was blue. The Japanese version was black and the guns were also used as part of the Stand up arcade game for Virtua Cop 2. Here is a pic with the two colored guns in the arcade version...
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played it at gameworks in Tampa, and the first time was with a fellow blade runner blaster fanatic. We laughed about the resemblance the video game guns had to the BR blaster and had to play the game over and over because of it!!
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:

Well, I'm getting ahead of myself. I woke up much earlier than intended. I woke up to our chow mix having a siezure in the bed. She has grand maul siezures, so they are very violent. She handles them well, I just wish the medication controlled them better.

Change or combine medications. Most vets will generally prescribe Pheno-barbitol or a derivative and stick to a one drug treatment. Drugs in combination have been proven to be much more effective. There are many other new drugs on the market that will handle grand mal or more complex seizures.

Also, and many think this ridiculous but, get the dog off any dogfood that has corn, corn by-products. If your dog is even slightly allergic to corn, and over 60% of canines are, the allergic reaction lowers the seizure threshold causing seizures to be much more easily triggered.

IMO they need to hang dog food manufacturers who use corn fillers in dog food. been proven over and over it is the one ingredient that affects health of dogs more than anything else in the food but it's still in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: