FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
BR Whiskey Bottle Project...BOTTLE REALIZED...AGAIN???!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Bryant is def glass...as for the Burnett one, it does seem like plastic.
Might be that the leak in her bottle is only partial (seems that the bottle is only filled at the bottom part) and maybe and that's a big maybe, the leak is at a certain place along the seams and she was asked to drink holding it a certain way? Probabilities of course. Wink

Carol Burnett's bottle is full nearly to the top as I said.

If you have info that confirms Bryant's bottle is definitely glass then it would be useful for the sake of this conversation if you were a little less vague.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reflection on Bryant's bottle (as well as Deckard's) are def. glass.
One big clue when comparing glass vs plastic is how dull the light is on those plastic bottle. You'll see what I mean with the pic of Rachael sitting at the table (2 plastic bottles on it).

The person I've been talking to (still in the business, so no name I'm afraid) said that a bunch of vacuform plastic bottles were made from one glass one because the production had only 2 glass bottles available.
So imagine for a second if one of the actors handling the bottles would've dropped it Shocked ...just one real glass bottle left.
And since the plastic ones had leakage problems, there wasn't any liquid in them (look closely at screen caps, none of the plastic ones contain a liquid).

That's why I'm confused by the full plastic bottle C. Burnett is handling in Annie Confused ...unless they solved the leakage problem for that movie.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reflection on Bryant's bottle (as well as Deckard's) are def. glass (there's also a certain heft to them)
One big clue when comparing glass vs plastic is how dull the light is on those plastic bottle. You'll see what I mean with the pic of Rachael sitting at the table (2 plastic bottles on it).

The person I've been talking to (still in the business, so no name I'm afraid) said that a bunch of vacuform plastic bottles were made from one glass one because the production had only 2 glass bottles available.
So imagine for a second if one of the actors handling the bottles would've dropped it Shocked ...just one real glass bottle left.
And since the plastic ones had leakage problems, there wasn't any liquid in them (look closely at screen caps, none of the plastic ones contain a liquid).

That's why I'm confused by the full plastic bottle C. Burnett is handling in Annie Confused ...unless they solved the leakage problem for that movie.

Btw, none of the main actors in BR are handling a plastic bottle and one is used in Zohra's change room and is tipped over during that scene (safety 101: no real glass in that battle Wink )
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be from something weird like a local Olive oil or something. It's gonna be a long journey to figure this one out until one of us randomly stumbles into it an antique store or similar scenario.

No great way to look for early 80's bottle lots on ebay ya know?
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joberg. I'm not interested in names or sources, I'm willing to take your word. I just didn't want to make a fool of myself debating stuff that's already established as fact. Embarassed (maybe a checklist is in order)
Burnett may well be using the glass bottle later used by Bryant. She drops it at the end of the scene and we hear it 'break' (clearly a sound effect) but don't see it.
I would be wasting my time describing things here (reflections, light etc) that are best appreciated by seeing the film rolling rather than as screenshots.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But glass can and is dulled down all the time in films to avoid hard reflections so that is by no means a 100% way of telling which is which.

Also depending on the person doing it vacuform has a lot of room for user error. Leakage, clarity, etc.

Why is the persons name so hush hush? Is he really not going to get work if he reveals material composition of a static non essential prop from a film from 33 years ago? Seems fishy.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody have a close up of Bryant pouring from the bottle? IIRC we could see the edge of the bottle and that would show if it was glass or plastic pretty well.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hirohawa, I understand your point, but you have to understand mine: first off, I don't know this gentleman very well (he's just a contact and nothing more). He told me that he would rather not be named for the time being and I respected my part of the deal. Now, he's lurking in here (and RPF) from time to time and if he wants to chime in with more info about himself and/or his knowledge of BR it's up to him to do so Wink
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Hirohawa, I understand your point, but you have to understand mine: first off, I don't know this gentleman very well (he's just a contact and nothing more). He told me that he would rather not be named for the time being and I respected my part of the deal. Now, he's lurking in here (and RPF) from time to time and if he wants to chime in with more info about himself and/or his knowledge of BR it's up to him to do so Wink

Totally get your point. And I appreciate you sharing too. Working in the film Industry myself he should rest assured that no Producer, Line Producer or Director, AD will care if he talks about what the bottle is made of or made from.

At this point it is a very old movie and while it is very cool to all of us here that are fans, in reality it is not a high valued or even highly recognized prop, like Luke's Lightsaber or the Maltese Falcon for instance. The fact that at some point the bottle was recycled from the prop Dept. at Warners for Annie, only strengthens my point.

I think at this point him sharing would be more valuable and appreciated than keeping an "Industry secret" that no one in the industry is concerned with keeping confidential. WB practically threw out the original Hero Blaster and have never come after any of the unlicensed (read all) Blade Runner props that have been made over the last 3 decades. Try that with a Star Wars or Star Trek. It's just not a real priority or a concern anymore regarding Blade Runner.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the frustration but I don't want to speak for somebody else.
I know what you mean by no one cares about the props/models or other stuff that was kept, borrowed, stolen or copied during/after the movie.

I'm in the same shoes as you and I don't understand why it's such a big deal for him either Confused ...but, at the end of the day, he's the one who can make the decision to drop by and explain whatever he has to explain.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tough part is that this hobby has always had people coming in with unsubstantiated claims "official words" on stuff, and in most of those cases the claims either turned out false and made up, or at least wrong in it's assumptions (as many of us that followed the development of the Blaster replicas will know). It doesn't even matter if a person worked on a film or not. Without "Who" the person was, and "What" their position was, the information is no better than any other rumor or guess on our parts, even if it is totally legit. It is just hearsay and is not helpful with provenance, and can only be presented as such. In other words, even if we like and trust you, the claims have to be taken with heavy grains of salt.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Andy, I never said that I, or the source was the one and only sure knowledge of that particular piece of info...I'm just a messenger in the story. I don't even know why he focused on the fact that only 2 glass bottles were used for the movie and the rest were vacuformed copies Confused It's the "said too much or not enough" type of info as far as I'm concerned. I wish that someone with more credentials would chime in to put the facts to rest, once and for all Wink [/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61
Page 61 of 61

Jump to: