FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
BR Whiskey Bottle Project...BOTTLE REALIZED...AGAIN???!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 59, 60, 61  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megamicrofish
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received email, paid and still smiling
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good!
Thanks again.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what's happened with the bottle breakage, Paul, was this explained in an email update, or did I just miss the post in this thread explaining what happened?

Shocked

I'm so SORRY that it happened, and that the manufacturer is being difficult. Lets all put our heads together and see what we can do here.

I sincerely doubt Paul is trying to rip anyone off guys. Lets take a deep breath and work this out.

Lets keep in mind this is Paul's first go at something like this, he works a day job, and we're all in this for the fun. I don't know what his total order was, but 1 guy is doing this alone, purely for the love of the movie and the prop.

If there is a problem, we'll work it out.
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paypal sent for the additional $75.00.
This was a tough decision for me, as my "hobby funds" aren't unlimited. Sad But I really want a bottle to display.
If you hear further word about any of the legal aspects of this situation, please keep us posted!
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
I sincerely doubt Paul is trying to rip anyone off guys. Lets take a deep breath and work this out.

I don't think anyone blames Paul - me neither - I'm just more than a little 'peeved' at the factory. Sad It's frustrating too because my funds are limited at the moment.

bsgfan12
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I read the email correctly? You are going to email a separate paypal for the addtional money? Thanks
________
Vapor Genie Vaporizer

Last edited by bsgfan12 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please paste in a copy of the e-mail with the details? Some of us are flying blind on this. Thanks.
darthsnikelfritz
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kinda bummed but i do know sometimes S@#T happens. Thanks for taking on this huge project .

Additional payment sent today. please let me know when you get it.

thanks
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkknight0667 wrote:
Can someone please paste in a copy of the e-mail with the details? Some of us are flying blind on this. Thanks.

PM sent.
jeffrey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one of the few that cannot justify the additional cost. Sad I'm poor.
I had a tough time justifying the initial cost...

And very, very sad. I've wanted that bottle for 25 years...
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain jeffrey. I stated in the up-date that I am more than willing to give up to a 30 day leeway period in which to come up with the extra funds, during that time I will be shipping bottles but will hold yours aside if you have paid the first amount.
Sorry all for the confusion here and thanks to those who filled in information to those who are out of the loop!
More news soon I hope.
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffrey wrote:
I'm one of the few that cannot justify the additional cost. Sad I'm poor.
I had a tough time justifying the initial cost...

And very, very sad. I've wanted that bottle for 25 years...

Jeffrey, that makes two of us (and I had #1 to boot).

Unfortunately, being a graduate student doesn't pay much (and nothing during the summer).

Regards,
oldzey

Last edited by oldzey on Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:17 am; edited 2 times in total
ridleyville
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul
Really sorry to hear what has happened, i have sent a couple of pm's to say i will pay the extra but have not had an invoice for the original payment as yet.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent. Thanks Ridley!
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Svander sent me a copy of the e-mail that Paul sent out explaining the whole situation and Paul has given me permission to post it here.

Quote:
My dear friends & valued customers,

Thank you all for your unfailing support throughout the exciting Blade Runner Whiskey Bottle project and for your admirable patience as I shepherd it to completion. The response has been greater than I ever expected, contrary to the predictions of one “old timer” who tried to discourage me by publicly predicting that only a small portion of people on the interest list would actually become paying customers. In fact, more than half of the original interest list purchased which is a Feat in and of itself.

However, despite the success of the project and promising results thus far (all dye-cut gold foil labels & custom numbered COAs are now almost paid in full and due to be completed and delivered shortly), I regret to announce that I’ve suffered a major setback with the bottle shipment, which arrived last week: due to incredibly substandard packaging by the bottle factory, I discovered upon immediate inspection of the case packs that more than half of the bottles were broken, chipped, or cracked – see attached photos.

As you can well imagine, this was very difficult for me to digest and accept on a personal level, and worse: as your friend and project leader. After self-medicating with my remaining vintage Johnny Walker Black Whiskey, I began to consider all my options, and, after consulting with some of my most trusted friends and associates, I’ve reached some unavoidable conclusions and difficult decisions, so please bear with me as I explain.

First, there are just barely enough intact remaining bottles to fulfill the orders already placed, and none for anyone who planned on ordering a second bottle. Due to the highly experimental nature of the bottle geometry, which, as you may recall, caused the factory to have great difficulties with the tool and the molding process, and because of the very low production quantity, the vendor has refused to accept responsibility for the breakage or poor packaging, and does not agree to do a second run at its expense for such a small quantity. Even if I could afford it (and I can’t) and they agreed to a second run (and they won’t), I would not trust them to improve the packaging, and there’s no guarantee that the result would be any different.

Second, the original price was set based on the formula that there would be 200 bottles produced. This was never meant to be a for-profit project; just a way for all of us to get the bottle we have all been dreaming of and yearning for over many years. But now that there is a significantly reduced total number of bottles (less than 75 with no defects), this has become a project operating at a loss. As you all know, as a matter of principle and business/hobby ethics, I invested my own money in the tooling, production, and shipping before I accepted even a single customer payment. The bottle “accoutrements” – the labels, cap, red seal, ribbon, and COA – were deemed “lesser” expenses which could be financed by the paid orders. I was planning on compensating myself from the initial paid orders and subsequent seconds and private sales of any leftover stock. I have Excel spreadsheets that account for every penny spent thus far on the project and for all projected sales revenue, and as expenses mounted with the custom labels and caps, I realized that I’d be lucky if I broke even. However, in light of the extensive bottle damage, even that prospect is no longer a possibility, and the shortfall has left me with no funds to produce unique, accurate, functional, and aesthetically superior caps and unable to pay some outstanding bills.

So the question at hand is how to best get this project completed without digging even deeper into my empty pockets? There have been several valid and sobering suggestions, including refunding everyone’s money, deleting the original interest list, and starting a new one with a higher cost of admission. However, in the interest of honoring the goodwill and trust shown by each of you who joined the interest list, who constantly motivated me, who cheered my progress, and who then followed through by purchasing a bottle, I am keeping the purchase list as-is and nobody is losing their place in it.

But in order to keep this project in the black, I am forced to ask each of you for an additional $75 per bottle, as I am simply not able to subsidize the difference.

Believe me – if there was ANY way to fill everyone’s order without adjusting the price, I would have done so, and I tried every trick in the book to make that happen, but the numbers just did not add up – I’m truly very, very sorry. But if you still wish to maintain your place on the confirmed shipping list, I will be accepting your answers either “YES” so you can make the second and final payment OR “NO” so you can receive your full refund, no questions asked. However, by doing so, it must be understood in no uncertain terms that you will forever be relinquishing any and all rights and claims to receiving a bottle from myself.

I know that there will be many questions, not to mention private & public expressions of frustration and anger, and no doubt a handful of accusations of one kind or another, but nevertheless, I pray for your understanding and empathy, and most of all – your continued patience & support, as I do my best to respond and push ahead with the project and bring it to a conclusion. I’ve composed below answers to anticipated questions – please review them thoroughly before responding via e-mail and PLEASE try to limit your response to ONE per person. I will respond with the link you need to make the final payment OR to request a refund.

Q: Why wasn’t this announcement made immediately after the extent of the damage was known?

A: Please put yourself in my position: this has been a massive let down and anticlimax after so many weeks of incremental success, built-up excitement, and collective optimism. Having the project come so close to fruition, only to face this kind of setback, took me some time to absorb and deal with on a personal level, not to mention find a way to salvage and complete the project in a timely fashion and to the best of my abilities & resources. I also had to keep my perspective and not neglect my priorities to my job and loved ones throughout these difficult last two weeks.

Q: Why hasn’t this news been posted on Prop Summit?

A: From the beginning of this project, I have made a point of notifying those on the interest/purchase list first of each major development and every project milestone reached. I also did not want to start a panic and flood of PMs and e-mails that would have considerably added to my stress levels while I was spending sleepless nights trying to come up with an equitable solution to the crisis. Having said that, please do not feel obligated to treat this announcement as confidential – I will be completely frank and honest with you and the general Prop Summit membership if questions or reactions are posted publicly. All I ask is that you try to be fair & balanced!

Q: Will there be another bottle production run?

A: Not by me, NO. As explained, the bottle vendor failed to meet this order and I have no intention of dealing with them again. After an exhaustive months-long search before I reached my agreement and contract with them, I could not find any other bottle maker – domestic or foreign – who did not have a ridiculously high MOQ (minimum order quantity) and/or price per unit that was willing to take on the challenges posed by this design. Period. End of story.

Q: What is happening with Caps?

A: I’ve found what I believe to be the ONLY viable and affordable cap solution at this time. A Finlandia Vodka bottle cap (after some slight modification) fits our bottle perfectly. Although not “liquid tight," I doubt any of you intend to fill your bottles and then store them on their sides. Unfortunately, I quite simply cannot afford to purchase enough bottles of Finlandia Vodka to “cap” each BR Whiskey Bottle. My solution then is to provide Finlandia Vodka bottle caps already retrofitted for each International purchase, and for US purchases I will provide a tutorial so that you may obtain and retro-fit your own Finlandia Vodka bottle cap yourself. I’ve asked my label printer to include (at additional cost) one inch circular silver labels with the date 2019 in gold printed on them to use for covering up the debossed reindeer detail on these caps. Everyone will receive one of these circular labels.

Q: When will the completed “good” bottles ship?

A: There are still a few details (labels, COAs, faux red wax Johnnie Walker seals, black ribbons, boxes, envelopes, shipping supplies & bottle numbering) that need to be prepared. There’s still the unresolved issue of the caps, as they will depend on how many bottles are ultimately purchased. Just as all but one bottle vendor declined to bid on the project due to their high MOQs, lot charges, and unit costs, similarly, a chrome-plated/vac-metalized/electroplated injection-molded plastic or polished deep-drawn stainless steel or aluminum cap with an epoxy-glued cork or stopper fast became a very cost-prohibitive proposition. I could have done it for 200 bottles, but for less than 75, the expense simply doesn’t cover the return. Had I acted on one of these cap solutions before the bottles arrived, I’d be even more in the hole monetarily than I already am. Luckily, I held off on the caps until I had physical bottle samples which I needed to verify cap dimensions and so I could provide a bottle sample or two to the selected cap vendor for cap prototyping and fit testing the production caps. This, however, has proved fruitless, and I believe at this time that my above mentioned solution is the FINAL answer to this most perplexing and seemingly unsolvable riddle.

Q: Is anyone getting more than one bottle?

A: No. I am only keeping one for myself, which is the one you have seen pictured on Prop Summit.

Q: When can I pay the extra $75 to ensure I get a bottle?

A: Once you let me know that “YES” you still want a bottle; I will send you my personal Pay-Pal e-mail address through which you can deposit the additional $75 dollars. Once you confirm with me, your window to pay will be open for one week (seven days). I am reserving a bottle for each of you until you agree to make the additional payment or ask for a full refund. I will even send out daily e-mail reminders to the entire purchase list and update the project thread to ensure that no-one is in the dark. At the end of the 7 day period, based on the number of refunds, I may post the number of relinquished bottles and start a “seconds” interest list, but this will happen ONLY after initial sales are at last concluded.

Q: What if 7 days are not enough time to arrange the second payment?

A: For the same reason I can’t make up the project shortfall on my own, I also cannot make any personal short-term loans to keep you on the confirmed shipping list (I wish it were otherwise!) I anticipate that for some of you living on a budget, disposable income might be tight during the 7-day second payment window, so, upon request, I will conditionally “freeze” your bottle and add you to a 30-day wait list if need be, so you can gradually make up the difference and still pay your bills on time. At the end of the 30 days, and following one last reminder, if you cannot send in the second payment, I will sadly have to issue you a full refund.

Q: If I opt for a refund, how soon can I get it?

A: I will first require a written (i.e., e-mail) request for a full refund at the Pay-Pal e-mail address I will provide. Refunds will be posted via Pay Pal only on a first-come, first-serve basis. If I get too many refund requests, I may have to pace the process somewhat so I can absorb the revenue loss without jeopardizing the project completion. In that case I will confirm your request in writing and provide you a “hard” refund date you can hold me to.

Q: What if my bottle breaks in shipping?

A: Each bottle will be insured in addition to being double-boxed and carefully & securely padded. In the unlikely event of breakage, cracking, etc., I will ask you to provide photographic proof, and the best I can do is file the insurance claim on your behalf for a monetary refund. Unfortunately and ironically, due to the shipping disaster I’ve already endured, no bottles remain that can be held in reserve as back-up replacements, even though that was my original intent, and for that, once again, I am truly very sorry.

Please send your responses as soon as possible either “YES” to pay the additional $75.00 or “NO” for a full refund.

Again, I thank you all for your patience through this last annoying hurdle of the project.

---Paul XXXXXX/Once-Bitten

I have edited out Paul's last name, just in case he doesn't want it made public.

I know that this is a very disheartening turn of events for everyone involved (both for the buyers and the seller). But, I think that it's great that so many people have voiced their sympathy and support for Paul (even those who are going to have to drop out of the sale due to the increased costs). This is obviously something that was way out of Paul's control and I think that he's trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

Paul - would you mind posting up the pictures that you mention in your e-mail? Those weren't passed along to me and I think everyone is curious to see just how bad it is (if only so that we can weep along with you).
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you are...pictures I hoped to never even see.
It is very difficult to take pictures of cracked glass,
I'll try to post more this week-end to satisfy any remaining curiosity.
Thanks for your support and help Pete and everybody!

darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Man! Those are fugly!

I think that I'm going to need a drink when I get home after seeing those.
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What concerns me is that one has cracked at what is arguably one of the strongest points... the corner! Shocked
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess that bottle was on the outside of the carton and took an impact at that point.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true. All the "good" bottles were at the center of each box, ringed in broken ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 59, 60, 61  Next
Page 33 of 61

Jump to: