FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
XXIT by Stargate Studios

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delmustator
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: XXIT by Stargate Studios Reply with quote

Sci-Fi Short XXIT Gets Big Blade Runner Look From Small Camera.

http://vimeo.com/31617919

Full story here: http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/11/xxit/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the future is here in terms of small hand-held cams and "cheap" production/film. What I don't like about the short is that they wanted to cram as much visual effect into one frame. I get tired of seeing those because they look too much like a video game (hate the traffic in the sky à la StarWars).
If you want to ''recreate" the BR feel it's easy to fall for the one big mistake that a newbie would make: to take all the iconic props/sets/special/practical effects and try to put them all into one frame and do it for the duration of the whole movie Confused

Ex: smoke, park-meter, flying cars, neons, animals, umbrella, crowds of various characters, etc...
Not all the images that Ridley gave us are saturated with those. Some of his shots are really "simple": a piece of the set on the left, the main character in the middle and an off focus right side with shadows.

Just my 2 cents...and thank you for sharing btw Wink
amfx74
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very well made and nicely shot. The props and set look great but I agree with Joberg in there is a little too much in some of the scenes.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch the behind the scenes video, it's very clear that this film was done as a promotion for the technology involved in making it. It's not really meant as an original piece of fiction. It's basically a commercial for the newest Canon digital camera system, lens packages, sound systems, etc. And for Stargate Studios. ( http://www.stargatestudios.net/page.php?section=4&page=427 )

The opening was a green screen set, which was obvious. It had the look, but lacked all the soul. As these kinds of things often do. Irony?

The outdoor footage up in the mountains is gorgeous. Really stunning. But again, it's very clean and clinical. It's almost too damn crisp. But, I think that is the whole point of this is to show just how much detail can be packed into the frame.

I love working with digital video cameras, and I can't wait to get my hands on the newer Canon cameras, but I always found myself bumping the focus a little so the footage wasn't super crisp and clean. I just liked the footage better that way.

BUT, thanks for posting this, I did enjoy watching Nicolette Sheriden in a piece like this, it was interesting.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland you should look into some nice diffusion filters as they take some of the artificial crispness/sharpness out of the digital cameras.

Film is still the way to go, expensive and finicky and definitely more work with VFX but has there been a better looking film than Lawrence of Arabia, or Blade Runner?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: