FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
BR Sketches Expertise Wanted !

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mauvaisgenres
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: BR Sketches Expertise Wanted ! Reply with quote

Hi Everybody,
I recently bought some blueprint copies of Mentor's Huebner Work and I'm pretty sure the first 2 are from BR, Don't know for the third. I asked to Mentor's Widow and she cannot say for sure… any clues ?

http://www.mauvais-genres.com/en/storyboards-artworks/3043-mentor-huebner-production-art-blueprint-copy-sci-fi-blade-runner.html
http://www.mauvais-genres.com/en/storyboards-artworks/3044-mentor-huebner-production-art-blueprint-copy-sci-fi-blade-runner.html
http://www.mauvais-genres.com/en/storyboards-artworks/3045-mentor-huebner-production-art-blueprint-copy-sci-fi-blade-runner.html

Thanks for your time and Happy New Year !
Lionel
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pieces, they certainly look like they could be BR, but not 100% sure. Most of the work he did seemed to be based on existing sets and layouts for BR. He also worked on other Sci-Fi films and television including Dune, Land of the Lost, The Time Machine (1960), Forbidden Planet, Flash Gordon, King Kong(1976), and a few others that could also be similar in settings. Dates on the work would help a lot. Here is his IMDB page...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0400031/

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too difficult to say. Looking at those sketches it could be Forbidden Planet or Flash Gordon or others...He had a tendency to draw on anything and everything (napkin, loose pieces of paper and not always on a nice quality paper). Lot's of those "quick sketches" have been "taken" or simply lifted from the trash can by collegues/friends and I'm not surprised that his widow doesn't recognize these sketches.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest talking to Ridleyville too, since he owns original dye-line/blue print prints of his work on BR to compare to, but it looks like you allready reached out to him. Mentor was an accomplished fine artist as well, and there is certainly a great value too all his work and prints, even non-archival ones like this.

Here is his official site...

http://www.mentorhuebnerart.com/

Filmography from his site...

http://www.mentorhuebnerart.com/mentorsfilms/filmography.shtml

A page of his work on BR...

http://www.mentorhuebnerart.com/filmproductiondesigns/bladerunner.shtml

He did do a lot of his work on the blueprint paper, as he also did a lot of architectural rendering as well. It was really to the best way for him to make copies of his larger scale work back then. I am pretty sure it is authentic MH work, but just not sure if it is all BR. I can see him trying envision the city of BR with these though, before Syd Mead came along and really defined it.

Andy
ridleyville
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, not been ignoring this but just not home at the moment to have a look through all mine. I will be back later in the week. From looking at the ones in question though my first thought is not from BR, but let me have another close look at mine when i get back.
mauvaisgenres
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers, Louise Huebner didn't recognize the movie because she has 50 000 drawings from her husband, and some of them, like these ones, seems to be very early production drawings (they don't look like the final look of the movie) so it is very difficult to judge (sorry for my english). Huebner did a lot of Scifi movies but a few with space ships, that's why I was thinking of BR for the second one. The Flash gordon storyboards doesn't look like my drawings at all, the king kong ones neither, maybe Time machine for the last one (because of the ruins) and definitely not the planet of the apes. So by elimination, I thought they are from BR.
I don't have any dates making the expertise a little more difficult…
Does anyone know if there are any book relating huebner's work ? (except BR work that I have already have)
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they could be early renditions of the world of BR... Who knows ? They seem to reflect more accurately PKD's novel (or what I can remember of it, or even Hampton Fancher's very first draft maybe ?) than the final designs developed for the film...

... they're also pretty close to the first drawing seen on Huebner's dedicated BR page on his site :

Even if they're not from BR thye're goddam beautiful, that's why I bought one ! Sorry guys, too late for the one with the tower overing the city and flying objects all around... and thank you Lionel for offering these great finds !

Cool

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Fred and since you're in the same neck of the wood as Mauvais Genre...I bet the postage wasn't expensive(unless you went in person to get it Very Happy ).
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Congrats Fred and since you're in the same neck of the wood as Mauvais Genre...I bet the postage wasn't expensive(unless you went in person to get it Very Happy ).

Thanks JB ! (Yep, the shipping costs were minimal...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: