FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Propsummit and Kevin in The Atlantic and Gizmodo!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Propsummit and Kevin in The Atlantic and Gizmodo!!!! Reply with quote

Pretty cool, Kevin Though, I am unsure, is this the same Kevin who passed??? http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=3505

Quote:
These things were forgotten for decades until sometime during or shortly before 2009, someone (Kevin) started to reconstruct them for his friends in an Internet forum about the movie. Some forumgoer used them as a Kindle screensaver; another was going to print them out and frame them, according to a forum posting.

http://gizmodo.com/5913647/blade-runner-superfan-recreates-dystopian-magazines-from-scratch

Here is where Propsummit is mentioned!!

Quote:

Who is this mysterious, Kevin? And what is Propsummit? And are these covers actually *recreations* by someone who looked at the magazines in the film and somehow designed from anew from scratch? Are these completely new design fiction objects modeled on old design fiction objects for a movie that came out 30 years ago?

At first, it seemed like the answer was yes. Kevin, who provides no other information about himself, posted this image and commentary to the Propsummit Blade Runner fan forum.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/05/the-fake-magazines-used-in-blade-runner-are-still-futuristic-awesome/257718/

Tom
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably Kevin (who passed away not long ago Crying or Very sad )...strange that this is appearing now Confused
Rep 13 did a great job recreating those covers not long ago (with the great help of Synamax also)...Rep 13 should read this thread for sure.
SynaMax
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my brother told me about the article the other night. It's nice to see Kevin's work continued to be recognized.

And yes, R13 has done a fantastic job recreating the rest of the magazine covers too! Many thanks to him for the hard work and research on his ongoing project. Thanks, joberg for the brief mention! Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Synamax
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updated information and of course the great work
Fangorn81
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was odd that it was just making the rounds now too. But still cool!

Joah Mahan
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: KEVIN'S EFFORTS Reply with quote

I was just made aware of this recognition of Kevin's work this morning. Good for Kevin (and for PropSummit)!

Although I never knew him personally, I think I did have some correspondence with Kevin years ago, after I had begun doing my own rendition of the covers. We shared interest in the less recognized "kipple" of Blade Runner and it was nice to correspond with someone on a subject of similar (if limited) interest.

It's always sad to hear of anyone's passing here on PS. I am glad he is getting recognition, if a bit late to be enjoyed. It seems so often the incredible work showcased here and on the RPF remains unknown to the general public, unless on occasion tidbit surfaces on eBay or is recognized elsewhere online, as with Atlantic or Gizmodo.

Initially, it was difficult to research these covers and a few remained relatively unknown. Over the past decade or two, there has been a lot more revealed,but I think Kevin did a remarkable job, trying to keep his versions as authentic as possible to the originals.

My belated thanks for the comments, and to Amish, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

- Replicant13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reply to your PM Rep13.

And yes, it's great to be recognized for the cool work you guys do
I'm a fan!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: