FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
• FOWL PLAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: BRONZING DAFFY Reply with quote

All -
Bronze is a nice thought. However, I have no experience with this process. As Joberg said, of course, it would depend on the cost. I may investigate this further, perhaps - perhaps - do a limited run Smile

My thought was to keep the cost down so more could afford the duck, offering it as a simple kit, requiring a minimum of work to complete. The finish would therefore be at the owners discretion. But I suppose you could have it bronzed/plated like they used to do with baby shoes.

But my motivation here was simply to create a more exact replica, since the actual weights you find online seem to all differ significantly. It seems no two are identical, although in the past a couple seem to have come close to Deckard's.

HAB1! - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: CASTING IN BRONZE Reply with quote

I thought that it might involve the "lost wax" process. I took a quick look and found this on YouTube. Interesting and something worth learning, no doubt, but a lot more involved (and obviously more expensive) than casting in resin.

And a bit impractical with my setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFOo5EWNl8M

Perhaps cold-cast bronze - a blending of bronzing particles and resin might be an option . . .

- R13
BR26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY interested if this project turns into a "run". Gosh, you really have some nice toys here...well done!!!
panaflex
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While a bronze run would be fantastic, I'm sure this would bump costs dramatically. Someone with the background could prob. do a small run but I'd be happy with a resin one I could shoot with paint and rub n buff, what have you... just my 2 cents.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: THE DUCK AND NOTHING BUT THE DUCK . . . Reply with quote

The Plan, as it stands, is to finish detailing the duck, then cast it in black or brown resin, depending on how my test goes. From past experience, I think it might prove to be a waste to go the cold-cast bronze route that I suggested earlier. The result would probably be disappointing to most and still require paint and/or a metallic rub 'n buff finish to achieve the desired finish. If you look at some of the actual bronze weights online, there is quite a range of colors and patinas - from blacks, purples and blues to browns, golds and greens. This way the finish would be up to the collector.

While it can be slightly more expensive, with a darker resin you have a better base color and you avoid exposing a bright tan resin if the surface is scuffed or scratched in handling the prop. I have experienced this with other resin props and retouching these dings can become a hassle.

More later. Thanks for your continued interest. Smile

HAB1! - R13
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: THE DUCK AND NOTHING BUT THE DUCK . . . Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:
The Plan, as it stands, is to finish detailing the duck, then cast it in black or brown resin, depending on how my test goes. From past experience, I think it might prove to be a waste to go the cold-cast bronze route that I suggested earlier. The result would probably be disappointing to most and still require paint and/or a metallic rub 'n buff finish to achieve the desired finish. If you look at some of the actual bronze weights online, there is quite a range of colors and patinas - from blacks, purples and blues to browns, golds and greens. This way the finish would be up to the collector.

While it can be slightly more expensive, with a darker resin you have a better base color and you avoid exposing a bright tan resin if the surface is scuffed or scratched in handling the prop. I have experienced this with other resin props and retouching these dings can become a hassle.

More later. Thanks for your continued interest. Smile

HAB1! - R13

This is sooo cool.!!!!!!!!!!!

On the colored resin do some experimenting. I have a great resin I use but the instructions for the dye to make it the right color were way, way off. I had to use 20 times the amount to make it the right color which also made it the proper strength. Using their directions the resin came out light, kind of translucent and very flimsy.

Do a bunch of small tests to find out exactly how much you need first. X drops of color for X tablespoons of Resin, etc. As we know resin costs can add up fast.

Can't wait to see the finished project. Like others I have searched Ebay and the net high and low.

Maybe you can do the second forward facing one on the music stand as well. Very Happy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: DYE HARD Reply with quote

Jameth -

Yes. If I go the color route, it will indeed take some experimentation. Years ago I used Alumilite® resin to cast some head sculpts - adding a couple of "skin colored" dyes, but as you suggest, getting the balance right, while allowing for the color of the resin as well, can be tricky. I never was really satisfied with the flesh color I achieved. I'll have to run tests again and see.

That said, in this case, I think a pre-mixed black resin might still be best, since any metallic finish will have to be applied afterward, anyway.

Thanks for the input. - R13
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the costs. My brother-in-law could cast a ton of those though in some kind of metal. Here's his website http://www.sculpturetrails.com/ Maybe we could work something out?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rep13, did you use the white Alumilite or the clear one?
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: UGLY DUCKLING Reply with quote

I think if it were to be cast in metal, it would be less desirable if it were not in bronze. It would be interesting to know just how much it would cost to cast up a few of these in bronze. It's roughly under 3" cubed.

But again, to keep the costs reasonable, my intention is to proceed with the black resin.

To answer your question Joberg, at the time the most commonly available color of Alumilite® was the cream/tan color. Unfortunately, because of this, any added color was usually skewed to yellow.

HAB1!- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, it's good to know for future projects
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about adding bronze powder to colorcast resin:

http://www.micromark.com/bronze-powder-for-resin-casting,10223.html
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: DUCK POWDER Reply with quote

Logical thought. I had considered that, having experimented with it years ago. I mentioned it here earlier, as well, but for the effort and the cost I think the outcome might still be disappointing.

If you don't add enough it looks like a metallic fleck; too much and it can weaken the casting. I'm no expert, but of the castings I've done in the past, it can also look rather monochromatic.

So all said, it usually requires paint or a metallic rub to age it and give it the right finish anyway.

I'll do a couple of tests. See how it goes.

HAB1! - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: ANOTHER LOOK Reply with quote

It's difficult to see in these closeups, but while there may not appear to be much change I've added a bit more detail - although there seems little apparent in the actual piece.
No doubt there is more than can be seen in a blowup from a single frame capture. I've tried to reach a decent medium point.

(You can see here the cardboard "spine" running through the center of the sculpt.)

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me Rep13...eager to see it finished in whatever medium Wink
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Can't wait to see it finished.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: FOUR PLAY Reply with quote

Four views, prior to the initial mold -

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A+ for sure
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take one to go please.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, it needs to be said again.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: