FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner 30th Anniversary Blu Ray
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SynaMax
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Blade Runner 30th Anniversary Blu Ray Reply with quote

Just got the Blu Ray from Amazon and I wanted to quickly tell you what to expect:

*The Concept Spinner is really cool and has a nicely detailed exterior.
*The Artbook is interesting; it has some great rare pics on the set and lots of familiar ones that we've seen before, but still is very nice.
*The Stills Gallery on Disc 3 contains some very interesting graphic design from Tom Southwell, storyboards, Ridleygrams, and very awesome behind-the-scenes pictures of the models made for the movie, especially of the Alfa Romeo Spinner. No production stills at all, which I found to be disappointing. While there's some great reference material, there's nothing strikingly new like the elusive "FASH" magazine or scans of Deckard's ID. We do have a still of a sketch of the back of Deckard's apartment key that's very helpful.

Otherwise, a great release Smile
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review SynaMax...pics from the Spinner would be greatly appreciated Wink Too bad there's nothing on the Fash mag...maybe one day.
Metrokab
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review. I'm going to pick this up (though I don't even have a Blu-Ray player), mainly for the book. It's a hardcover, right?

I've always wanted a big coffee-table Art of Blade Runner book, but this might be as close as it gets.
Ectropy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to confirm whether the Dangerous Days documentary on Disc 3 is in HD or SD. I'm on the fence about getting this and knowing for sure that it's HD will tip me towards pulling the trigger (ahem). Smile
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Metrokab: a big coffee-table book on Blade Runner would sell like hot cakes...one day maybe, one day Crying or Very sad
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a few of the people got the set all ready and here are pics of the spinner from an ebay sale...

Looks like the one from the Briefcase set with the repaint and the extra pieces on top including the laser.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of the book which look to be no bigger than the DVD case...

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Blade-Runner-the-Art-of-From-the-Archines-Hardcover-Book-NEW-MINT-/00/s/MTU1MVgxNjAw/$(KGrHqRHJFMF!ODl7uuVBQiBycg0Kw~~60_57.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Blade-Runner-the-Art-of-From-the-Archines-Hardcover-Book-NEW-MINT-/00/s/MTUwM1gxNjAw/$T2eC16RHJHgE9n0yFljrBQiBykD9vw~~60_57.JPG
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Andy...shame that the book is soooo small Crying or Very sad
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: REPLICANT "RUNNER" Reply with quote

Just chiming in. I too am disappointed - but not really surprised, since this release follows so closely on the heels of the 25th Anniversary release. It seems this is little more than another marketing tactic. The Spinner is a nice piece and the lenticular card is a nice inclusion - if only as a backdrop to the Spinner, but the book is small and thin and as Max reported, the new content is rather sparse.

Aside from a somewhat limited gallery and a few added wardrobe and storyboard sketches, there is little new here. Much of that content does not take advantage of the better format, and some has appeared online or in print previously. I had hoped to find new or better reference (an uncropped version of the DORGON cover IS included), but a few past revelations are missing entirely. There are a few new odds and ends - missing puzzle pieces for those interested in the various smaller paper props or logos.

Having watched only part of the content, it did appear that perhaps the workprint is a bit brighter, but I don't know that anything was really done technically to improve its clarity. And I had hoped at some point that some of the various programs and interviews which have appeared over the decades, such as the BBC's "On The Edge Of" might eventually be included as cleaner versions. Not here.

Like a good little consumer, I've gladly added this offering to the mix - and I doubt anything better will be issued for a while, unless it's carried forward by a renewed interest, if and when Ridley does his sequel/prequel/not-really-Blade-Runner version*.

As I was reminded earlier Wink, we will never be totally satisfied. There is so much that remains to be discovered, but then perhaps that 's the fun of it. It is the foundation of this forum.

HAB1! - R13

* Perhaps for further discussion elsewhere, check THIS out:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/movies/alien-prequel-prometheus-is-now-a-blade-runner-sequel/story-e6frfmvr-1226490111128

gomcse
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine in and I really like it. With all the versions it comes with, the price is a real bargain. You get the USA Theatrical, International Version, Final Cut, Director's Cut, and Workprint. On top of that you get the bonus disc, the Spinner, the book, and the lenticular photo. Very nice.

All they need now is to come out with a REAL Audio Soundtrack. That's probably the biggest blunder in the history of Soundtracks.

Dave
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: NEW INTRADA SCORE Reply with quote

(Perhaps mentioned elsewhere, but) speaking of marketing tactics, Intrada has addressed that "blunder", taking advantage of the 30th Anniversary re-release with a newly recorded release of their own -

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7798/.f

Limited to 1500 copies, the new recording is a sincere effort to recreate a pristine score, with the vocal tracks, staying as true as possible to Vangelis's original.

Although not perfect (any listener can pick up the subtle shifts) it is quite nice. If you've never heard the original, sans sound effects and narrative overlays, it's definitely worth a listen. That said, the most glaring differences are with the vocals. While a valid effort, voice is much more difficult to mimic and some tracks suffer slightly, but all-in-all - and for now - it is the best complete score out there, for the money, unless you have access to one of the many bootlegs that began surfacing on eBay in the 90's for major $$$.

No, it's not the original, but it does kinda grow on you after a couple of listens . . .

And an added bonus is a second, slightly more dramatic version of the "BR Theme" that adds a bit more atmosphere to the track. Great while cruising down those rainy city streets at night. Smile

HAB1! - R13
gomcse
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas....it is already out of stock....
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rep13 for the feed-back...even if we were able to have access to the whole BR material; we could discuss/build/draw/paint, etc for many, many years to come Wink (and I'm not talking about the new extentions sprouting from our various members here and staying true, in design and in spirit, to the original).
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: EDGAR ROTHERMICH RELEASE STILL AVAILABLE Reply with quote

INTRADA seems to sell out quickly sometimes, since they sell to resellers, but once gone the prices often increase.

Looks like Screen Archives still have a few at the original price. Try this link -

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/21602/BLADE-RUNNER-30th-ANNIVERSARY-CELEBRATION-1500-EDITION/

- R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: INFINITY Reply with quote

So true, Joberg! Creativity knows no boundaries.

HAB1! - R13
gomcse
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! They had some! Thanks so much for that second link!

They even have samples so you can listen to what you're getting. Very, very cool.

Dave
AaronD82
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like this set was delayed in the UK.
Just got back from a 2 week vacation expecting to have this waiting for me.

Instead, all I got was an email from amazon saying that it had been delayed.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: LOST IN THE AMAZON Reply with quote

SIDE NOTE:
Interesting. I've had a similar delay recently with PROMETHEUS. Amazon has never been late in the past - What's up with that?

Anyone know? - R13
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can only come to one conclusion: Amazon hates Ridley Scott
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: LOST IN THE AMAZON Reply with quote

- R13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: