FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard Holster for Resin Blasters. Interest Thread.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Deckard Holster for Resin Blasters. Interest Thread. Reply with quote

David, Replicant 13, came up with a really great idea.

He asked me if it was possible to produce a 'soft grip' Deckard holster specifically for painted resin replicas.

This is a great idea. I'm sure many replica owners have delicate resin blasters they wouldn't dare trust to a holster with a strong internal spring. I know I wouldn't Smile

I would be interested in producing a 'soft' holster. I'm not certain how it would work yet, I'll need to do some testing and prototyping, to be sure I can retain the characteristic look of the original holster. It would be made of the same, screen accurate, leather and be hand made and hand stitched, and have the screen accurate stamping on the rear.

The internal clamshell spring on the original holster provides not only retention for the blaster, but form and structure for the holster itself. The spring gives the holster a lot of it's look.

At the moment, my plan is to make a holster which retains the blaster by means of a small, discrete, black leather strap across the open holster front. Almost invisible against the ammo clip, it could fasten to a stud on the back of the holster.
Soft suede lining would protect the finish.

of course, I need to be sure it can be accomplished, but would anyone be interested in this model?

Karl
Christian Jones
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interested ! That's a great idea.
Countrypaul
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think this sounds like a great idea

I put my resin PKD2 into the fantastic premium holster that I got from yourself & heard a distinct crack as the bolt lever & sight rod fell off, oops

No harm done I just glued them back on Laughing

Not sure if the Resin Rick Ross PKD's are slightly oversized, think mine is a touch wider than my Offworld (but is the Aussie kit)

Given that the Rick Ross Resin kits are a unique interpretation of the Blaster I don't think the holster needs to be dead on screen accurate but I'm sure others will disagree (& not everyone will just want one for a Rick Ross, I realise that there are many resin blasters)

Personally given that my Resin kits are cheaper than the metal I'd sacrifice some screen accuracy for a better fit or a cheaper holster

Anyway, interested depending on fit & price
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, that's a great idea and maybe instead of lining the inside with suede, we could think of other soft liners: moleskin, or velour, etc...to make sure that the paint or the some parts will not come apart Wink
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a great idea...I agree with Joberg on the material suggestion...I have a Rick PKD Magnum and would not even consider putting in my Phil S holster...for fear of breakage...but have no problems with my Sidkit Coyle and Offworld...on this track...Zhora's blaster is resin as well...right?...the Hartford snubbie is solid as a rock metal...
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The credit for the idea itself must go to Replicant13 as he suggested it in the first place.

The suede inside shouldn't be an issue. The design is such that there should be no pressure at all on the blaster in the holster. The suede split I use to line the holsters is very soft.

I'll make it screen accurate size. With the original holster, the bow of the steel spring encroaches into the holster by a half inch in front of the spine. Without the spring, there's a little more room, so it should fit oversize blasters.

I've been busy with this already, and will have the prototype done today, hopefully.
I need to be sure I can get the correct shapes and forms of the original holster without the spring.
The retainer strap looks good. Very minimal. I doubt you'd even see it unless looking very closely.

I had to redesign the welt between the two halves. It's quite minimal on the original, but I thought to extend it up further below the open holster front. It'll add more security for the blaster and help recreate the correct shape. There are lots of other tweaks....

More as it happens,

Karl
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Karl, cannot wait to see the mock-up
amfx74
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Holster for painted blasters Reply with quote

I would be interested. It's a great idea.
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we are then.
This is a prototype of the Deckard 'Soft Grip' holster I finished today.

It has no internal steel spring at all. The shape is formed by the cut, the new welt between the shells and by wet forming the holster.

I know there are a couple of tweaks. The strap has to move down by a quarter inch. One or two other niggles. I deliberately left out the extra belt slot, as it messes with the shape and creates a weakness on that side.

As a proof of concept, it works well. It feels secure and looks almost exactly like the premium holster. You can hardly see the retainer strap unless you look for it.

The blaster is an early Coyle, all resin. The holster has next to no grip on the blaster at all, it's an illusion.

The fit is just big enough to take the blaster, but there's so little pressure on it, that it will just fall out if turned upside down.

What do we think?

Karl

[/img]

Last edited by Skin-Job on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played with a number of holsters over the years I can report that holsters are hard on plastic models…

And that spring holsters are also problems.

First you really need a loose holster, more like a pocket for a plastic model, I would suggest a painted or died slot to get the look of an open spring holster for any plastic holster or cut out slots to give a somewhat opened slot.

I did a Galatica holster like this years ago in leather instead of the hard plastic they had used in the show. The Plastic shell holsters were damaging the models as they were drawn and holstered. Back in the 80s most of my models were used in cosplay, and I tried offering holsters for many of the models I did back then.

I stopped because of how many repairs I had to do due to holster damage. Classic hardened style holsters damaged models.

The Galatica holster I had done with soft leather, it did make holstering the model harder as the soft holster did not hold its open shape.

The spring holster can also be unreliable, I dropped a metal Blade Runner model at a con, it just slipped out. And it damaged the side rod being pulled and holstered.

AS I have said all along use a holster at your own risk, and I will not cover repairs due to holster wear or damage.

Rich

PS Proper: You may have done it....custom forming them to each model: BUT I think you will have to test and form them TO EACH model to be sure of correct fit.
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Rich.

I did cover most of your observations in my posts.

The holster only APPEARS to be a tight fit, it hardly touches the model inside. Turn the holster over the model just slides out, no pressure on the model.

The black restraining strap stops the model from falling out and maintains the shape of the holster when fastened.

There is NO METAL SPRING in the holster at all. No spring. The spring pocket stitched in is for authenticity only.

The holster is fully lined with suede to protect the resin surface and paintwork.

I think there can be a preliminary fitting when they're made, then each model can be wet formed to exactly fit different model.

Karl

Last edited by Skin-Job on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That covers it.

Good/Great job.

Rich
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, I cannot see your pic Crying or Very sad
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry. I have no idea why you can't see the pictures.

I've posted a thread about this over at Fireflyprops.net. I hope you can see the pictures there.

http://www.fireflyprops.net/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1054

Karl
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, everything is fine now. It's a beauty for sure and very handy to have for the resin gun collectors around here Cool
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joberg,

As I say, credit to Replicant 13 really. It was totally his idea.
I think it will fill an important niche in the market.
Many of us have heard the sickening 'snap!'

Smile

If anyone has questions, or would like one, please get in touch.
I'm selling these direct.

UK only, GBP£99.00 shipped

Rest of the world, USD$149.00 shipped

Thanks,

Karl

Last edited by Skin-Job on Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:29 am; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome...and kudos to Rep13, now the people interested will have a holster that will protect and accomodate their kit.
Good luck with the sale Cool
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: PROPER CREDIT Reply with quote

I appreciate the credit, but it's Proper who's doing the work! I'm just thankful that he was so open to the suggestion. Just proves, it never hurts to ask . . .

Sad to say, I've damaged more than one replica (gingerly) trying to fit it into my Steinschneider holster. No doubt, like many here, I had resigned myself to the fact it could only be a companion display piece.

But now, thanks to Karl we all may have an accurate, but useable holster. - R13

(Hopefully this weekend I can attempt that casting, Karl).
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of a metaphor for the community really. A good example of co-operation.

I don't collect resin blasters and so wouldn't automatically have identified the need for such a holster.
I think the willingness to listen is key here.

I'm actually surprised no one has done one like this before. I'll admit I had my doubts at the outset, largely about the ability of the holster to hold it's shape without the internal spring, and about just how 'soft' a grip I could get.

Both turned out to be unfounded.
There's a lot of work done in opening up the holster inside to make room for the bull nosed receiver and barrel end, and the result is the grip is ridiculously light.

Because the retainer strap snap is on the back and the strap is black-on-black across the magazine base, you don't really notice it.

I'm going to call this idea a success Smile

Karl
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:42 am    Post subject: THE SPIRIT OF PROPSUMMIT Reply with quote

Agreed! Again, that's what I love about this "place". Communication, interaction, cooperation, feedback and results - success!

The potential is almost limitless. - R13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: