FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
• A PROPER HOLSTER - "THE SOFT-GRIP"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: • A PROPER HOLSTER - "THE SOFT-GRIP" Reply with quote

A REVIEW OF THE SG

Having suggested this project, Proper was kind enough to send me a prototype for review here on The Summit -

While it retains an authentic look, as you can see, this new holster has three distinctive differences. The body is slightly less rigid, there is no metal spring that would normally pinch to hold a pistol in place, and this is resolved by the addition of a retaining strap.

HOLSTERING HISTORY
As most of you know, over the years, there have been numerous online discussions and several holsters made available at different times. Some holsters were new fabrications based on current information. Others were attempts to discover or adapt existing holsters that might have been an inspiration or the source of the original.

Over the last decade I have purchased a couple of examples, which lead me to make the comment that started this project - that any existing cowhide holster damaged the finish on my replicas, in particular those with a painted surface. I know I spent several hours repairing my early C&S when it suffered this fate (It is now included in this review).

Using the replicas I have access to, I have taken photos that I hope will help to support my comments -

Of the three holsters shown here (left to right), one was aquired several years ago from Phil Steinschneider (before Proper was a source for any of his holsters), the second was probably an eBay purchase and the third is the new “soft-grip” version (with the snap) - the SG.

A FITTING REPLICA
THE EARLY ALL-RESIN COYLE 'C&S'
Although Proper plans to produce variations adjusted to fit other makes and models of the blaster, this review will focus on the SG made to fit Richard Coyle's C&S. For those who don't know, this prop was one of Coyle's several earlier models, based on the limited information gathered to that point. Continually updated by Phil Steinschneider, his research was incorporated by Richard into his replicas. Essentially, in size and shape, it remains the same as Richard's more recent efforts and is close to the same dimensions of his final WorldCon model - the CS&T.

Along with the early replica created by Rick Ross (christened the “PKD” in honor of Phillip K. Dick), the C&S shared its weakness of being a painted resin replica. If handled often both were easily damaged - scratched or worse, if inserted in the available Deckard holsters.

TEST FITTING THE ALL-RESIN COYLE 'C&S'

This new SG holster solves this dilemma, to a point. The C&S fits nicely in the holster and shows little if any surface damage after repeated insertions. If you chose to “wear” your prop, I doubt you will find a more suitable replica holster. Of course, as with any prop that is handled frequently, the wear will depend on the user. Accordingly, the snap-guard has been well-positioned to secure the prop and is essential to hold the prop within the holster. The SG has been redesigned without the damaging internal spring. The interior arrangement is different from that of the past (standard) Deckard holsters - the welt has been redesigned to help the holster keep its shape. The stitching and reinforcement has also been entirely rethought.

BOTTOM VIEW WITH THE 'C&S'

"JUMPING THE GUN"
To satisfy my curiosity, I did additional test fits using other replicas not intended for use with this holster. Again, it should be noted that this prototype was made specifically to fit the early resin Coyle C&S.

The SG is NOT intended to be a universal holster, capable of correctly fitting every model blaster produced or built. As all models differ slightly in size and shape, so will the SGs. I understand that each will be fitted to accommodate a given model (within reason) - wet formed and eased for different models.

THE EARLY ROSS 'PKD'
I have yet to test fit the holster with my early Rick Ross PKD, but the obvious differences of Rick's design suggest it would not be a good pairing.

THE HARTFORD
At the time it came out, the Hartford replica was a new approach to the familiar prop, but a limited replica that was more difficult to obtain. Nicely produced, it was almost immediately recognized as inaccurate, suffering from the changing stream of information at the time. I tested the fit of the prototype with the Hartford. While it shows that the SG could be adapted, it was not an ideal fit - and it was not intended to be. As with the WORLDCON, the slight misfit and the added weight made the combination a bit awkward and unbalanced.

PRE-TESTING THE HARTFORD (L) AND THE COYLE CS&T

THE COYLE WORLDCON 'CS&T'
Renamed “CS&T” in honor of Karl Tate’s discovery of the actual “hero” prop, Richard Coyle’s latest and greatest is the more recent addition to this list. It is also the heaviest and most cumbersome, as one might expect, which resulted in a tighter fit, causing this holster to bulge a bit at the widest point. In short, my effort was ill-thought.

Each replica needs to have its SG fitted properly - no pun intended.

IN CONCLUSION
No holster will always protect your prop, but the SG solves a problem that has existed for years for those of us who wished for a useable, authentic-looking holster that would not scar up our valued collectible with every attempted use. In my opinion, this holster definitely offers the better option. - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:29 am; edited 5 times in total
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great review and now I want one.

You both have done a great job.

So once I recover I will have to order one so I can ware a model at cons.

Rich
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: RICH RESPONSE Reply with quote

Thanks Rich. I think it is definitely a good solution. It fits my ol' C&S nicely.

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big thanks to Proper for a wonderful job on these holsters and thanks to Dave for that great review and critique of that prop.
As you said, now that people will have a softer gentler holster, they'll be more inclined to wear the gun at Cons/Halloween, etc.

Good job again Cool
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joberg,

I would also like to thank Dave for his good idea in the first place, and for a thorough, fair and balanced review of my work.

I like this project because it came about from genuine co-operation to fill a need.

I'm really pleased with the holster.
It works.

Karl
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Karl
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely work on those holsters proper.

Colin
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Colin,

Karl
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant idea. I just want to point out one thing. I keep seeing the gun looking like it is only half in the holster. I know there are pictures of the real guns in the holster looking that way, but many of the pictures of the gun in the holster while worn show it fully seated and enclosed. I think that when photographing the gun people were cautious to break off that site rod, or taking off the finish so they never fully put the gun in. Also I think Phil S's early holsters were based on a smaller holster. Many of the vintage holsters I have actually fit the replicas like a glove already, so I think we may be basing the design on someone just being careful with the gun itself for the sake of photos.

Just look at this photo here and see how much deeper the gun sits in the holster compared to the other photos...

Andy
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

I think it's a combination of several things:

I think there was caution used during seating the blaster on several occasions in the past, giving rise to 'half-seated' shots, as you say.

The angle and lighting of the shot you used for the example do seem to show it deeper, I agree, it does seem to show the blaster seated about a half inch lower down.

There is room in the holster, for sure. It possibly needs to be eased out a little and wet formed a little more. Although if it's caution on Replicant13's part is advisable and understandable Smile

I'm working on getting a sample of one of each of the popular models. this one was fitted to the resin Coyle I have to hand.

I'll take a shot tomorrow and show the Coyle seated as far down as it can go.

Karl
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: A FITTING SUBJECT Reply with quote

All -

For the record, while cautious, caution was not a factor in the fit of the C&S to the holster.

If you look at the photos I posted here you will see that the C&S is seated as far into the holster as the opening allows. However, if Proper were to lengthen this opening downward, I don't think the blaster would seat into the holster any further without causing potential damage to the barrel. You can see the differences between the actual holster, one of my earlier purchases and the new SG, circled above.

While perhaps not exactly the same as the original, I think the prototype shown here affords a bit more added stability and protection as it is. It could be argued that this is a small price to pay for less potential damage to your C&S.

- R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Thu May 09, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: COYLED UP Reply with quote

Having tested the various other blasters with no damage, I finally settled on my "updated" C&S as my display model.
This C&S, released just prior to the WorldCon discovery, fits just as well as the previous resin model, but has the then
current changes to the body and butt.

The SG1

HAB1! - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Sat May 11, 2013 6:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much R13,

Nice to see it on display. Looks great Smile

Here's the why of the way the SG is.

On the original holster, there's an internal steel 'clamshell' spring. The spring is a long eared, looped shape which is inserted in stitched-in pockets between the liner and the holster shell.
I know you guys know this, just being thorough Smile

The function of the spring on the original is more than simply gripping the blaster. The spring adds form and structure to the holster itself and provide a lot of the characteristic shape.

The SG holster has no internal spring at all. As such, it will collapse to a flattened pouch if structure isn't provided. The solution I came up with was to redesign the welt (The sandwiched leather strip) to give the structure needed. In order to provide the shape correctly, the welt is stitched higher up than on the holster with the spring. This way, the holster holds it's shape without the blaster in it. I thought some might like to display the holster empty...

If you guys like, I'll make another holster with the stitching lower down. this will allow a deeper fit, but MAY affect the way the holster holds it's shape.

Chime in, please Smile

Karl
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worn a spring holster with an all metal model at a con and having it slip out of the holster...I can say how heavy and hard to keep one of these models in is.

I vote for the deeper version for the all metal.

You will need to move the strip down as well.

I think a small bit of something to be a spacer to hold the bottom point of the holster is a idea.

If you look at the picture Andy posted the sides were not touching, they were parted by the gun being in so deep.

Rich

I wonder if they had the same problem on set?
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,

Your points are duly noted, but I feel they've been covered already.

Once again: The retention here is NOT provided by a steel internal spring. THERE IS NO METAL SPRING.

The retention is by means of the discrete black strap placed across the front.

No blaster will 'fall out' of this holster with the strap fastened, unless you're upside down.

As the designer and maker of the holster, it did strike me the that the retainer strap would need to move, but thanks.

By 'spacer' I assume you mean the welt between the two holster shells. That is already there. As explained at length above, the welt is high on this sample to provide the necessary shape. As I also explained above, I can make a version with the welt stitched lower down, but there may be compromise to the shape when the holster is empty.

Holster design is always a compromise.
This holster cannot possibly be all things to all people.

Karl
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to attempt to appease everyone, I'm going to make another sample holster.

While I think increasing the size of the holster aperture will allow the blaster to sit a little deeper. Perhaps as much as 5/8"
But, I think R13 has it right in that as the holster becomes narrower at the bottom, the additional pressure and friction may cause damage to a delicate painted finish.

Let's see, shall we?

Karl
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry I may have not been clear.

I have a holster made by Phil.

IT is a spring model.

That is the holster I said I had a model full out of.

Because of that I feel a metal model MIGHT try to fall out having so much of it higher in the holster.

This speculation only on my part.

Rich
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich,

But, it still doesn't get round the basic criticism you made.

Even if the holster doesn't allow the blaster to seat any deeper, with the safety retainer strap (which no other BR holster has) fastened, how will a blaster (Metal or resin) fall out of a holster which encloses it on three sides?

I don't think depth of seating is the issue. An additional 5/8" deeper seating won't fix it falling out IF that's the issue.
It isn't.

As I say, with the retainer strap fastened, the blaster is enclosed on three side. It cannot fall out unless the wearer is upside down.

Richard's issue seems to be with the design of the original holster, rather than my replica. He has a good point, though: If you lean forward with a holstered metal blaster in the holster, it could fall out of the top. Surely this is a problem with the basic design, no?

Bottom line: The holster is a movie holster, not designed for the real world. It's a bad holster design. It ignores the first rule of holster design: Security.

I do still feel Rich is missing the basic point of the design of this particular model: It was created to fill the need for a decent replica holster for PAINTED RESIN models.

Karl
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that what he made these for he has done a superb job.

And such a great job and idea that I would really like a holster model for the metal model as the ammo housing and the side plates are painted still, so subject to damage by any other holster.

So I still say do not use any other holster with any of my models, do so at your risk.

FYI

In the real world, the spring cam shell holster would have a stronger spring able to hold a real gun.

Even then there will be some holster ware, but all holsters do cause some ware.

The main idea of this holster is how fast a draw you can do.

There is no lifting it clear of the holster, you just grab and pull or yank it out.

I have seen western rigs using a "U" spring to allow such a fast draw of the colt 45.

Karl you have made a great holster.

Rich
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rich,

I appreciate that.

I'll get to work on the new sample, with the longer front aperture and smaller welt, and see how it performs with regard to deeper seating.

I must apologize to R13 for completely taking over the thread. I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention.

Karl
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: