FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Rubber stunt blaster up for auction?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Rubber stunt blaster up for auction? Reply with quote

What do you guys make of this....

http://www.icollector.com/Blade-Runner-Rick-Deckard-Harrison-Ford-Stunt-Blaster_i16373970

k
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For mine, its a Patrolman`s at best and not Deckards. The original grips were either wooden or black which is probably why they are missing.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but with frame by frame study you can CLEARLY see the amber grips in all shots with Deckard, Even when Leon bats it out of his hand the gun shown flying has ambler grips.

That the amber grips have been sold at auction I think it is real.

And as the amber grips in the wall shot had a broken part by the top screw they were most likely falling off.

Rich

Last edited by racprops on Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely genuine. Probably go for way too much though! Sad

Someone had a spare set of original Amber Grips for sale here a few years ago. Not in perfect condition but wouldn't it be great to reunite them?!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number on the Steyr could also be a clue... Wink
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im approaching it from a different, possibly uneducated angle. Is there a difference between the rubber stunts the patrolmen used and Deckards?
If the only way you can tell is by the grips, patrolmen being either black or wooden and Deckards being amber its a very relevant question.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You nailed it on the head.

Deckard's gun had amber grips and so did the stunt model used it the two know stunt gun shots (pun intended) The bat it out of his hand and the fight over the gun though the wall.

Rich

offworld66 wrote:
Im approaching it from a different, possibly uneducated angle. Is there a difference between the rubber stunts the patrolmen used and Deckards?
If the only way you can tell is by the grips, patrolmen being either black or wooden and Deckards being amber its a very relevant question.

Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not doubting the provenance of the item Rich, its the details that arent clear to me. The difference between Harrison Fords stunt blaster and an extras stunt blaster in
monetary value is significant. The missing grips dont get it over the line for me, need another "tell".
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the big question is did any of the other stunt props have replacement grips, the black ones were just unpainted.

I was of the mind the so called wood ones were just a paint job as well, on the unchanged black stunt model.

Leaving only the Deckard stunts the only ones where they either molded them with out grips or as once seen (Years ago) cut and hacked the rubber grips off to add the cast amber grips.

But that is my opinion only, I have no proof.

Rich
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those details are very helpful Rich, I didnt consider the wooden grips might be painted that way, if it can be confirmed that they were it certainly would elevate this from
an exceptional item to an extraordinary one for mine.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, The "Wood" ones the patrolmen had were just painted stunts, and were very likely meant to imitate the color and look of the amber grips. There were at least a couple of "Deckard" stunt guns. One of them being at the Seattle MOST Museum (AKA the Seattle Sci-Fi Museum). Others are out there and some may have even been faked using stunt casting and a set of Rich's grips.

All the stunts including the patrolman's seem to all have been cast from the hero at a point before it was completely finished, which is why they all have the same markings, and the non-notched butt plate on the grip. A few years back a set of grips cast from the hero that were also broken were sold through one of the auction houses, I believe Prop-Store, or Profiles IIRC. It was sold along with a Steyr magazine with LED's, but un-trimmed (and also covered in glue). They were damaged and may have been replaced, or just got separated from their host. I think the one thing that makes me feel this is genuine is the bad glue residue, which is similar to the other stunts with grips I have seen, and typical work for a stunt prop in Hollywood. Time is more important than perfection for non-close up props. Especially something they expect to beat around with.

Still, provenance with connection to someone on the film's staff is most important for true value of something like this. And, even then it isn't a guarantee the item was ever made for the production, nor ever used. With the hero garnering so much money at it's auction, and other BR props doing well, both long stored and forgotten props stolen from the set, as well as fakes are likely to pop up more and more now.

Still my instincts are saying this looks good so far. Especially since it is missing grips. It is something that kind of takes away from the overall look of the prop, and would hurt value compared to one with out the cut off grips, or one with a set of amber recasts. I may inquire more on this.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread with some pics in it of what we are talking about...

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=2874&highlight=stunt

Andy
ridleyville
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, The "Wood" ones the patrolmen had were just painted stunts, and were very likely meant to imitate the color and look of the amber grips. There were at least a couple of "Deckard" stunt guns.

I believe there were 6 Rubber stunts made in total. There were 2 Deckard stunts with resin grips, one is in Seattle and i have the other. The grips were painted Amber. The paint has worn off the high points of the grips and the amber is only visible on the deeper parts.
I will be displaying it with some other items at the London FIlm and Comic Con this year
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the FYI Geoff It'll be interesting for sure.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If both Deckard stunts are already spoken for.........
I must be getting old and cynical coz I thought such an auction title needed further investigation. Two grand is reasonable for a genuine patrolmans stunt though I guess.

Was a stunt used in Holdens chat with Leon? Perhaps it could have been his.

Last edited by Mr Webber on Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
darthwolf7
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks pretty authentic to me? I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable about this stuff as all of you but it seems pretty legit to me? It will be interesting to see how much it goes for?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They didn't necessarily make separate stunts or guns for Deckard and Holden. They weren't in the scene together so it could easily have been the same one. There were many police though, so many more had to be made for them. I am sure too that backups had to be on set in case of them falling apart with the actual stunts made for Deckard. Even his though may have got double duty on a patrolman when in scene together if needed. The one in Seattle has the applied amber grips. Screenused had one of the painted ones in their collection for many years, and they once listed it as a "Deckard Stunt", and it very likely may have been made for that purpose, but as one not used in close ups. The one we see being pulled through the wall by Roy, had the amber grips attached. I am sure many were made, and not all the same. Some may have just been failures or prototypes and not used. Some may have been made for fun by guys in the prop department for themselves, or as gifts to the crew, as were some of the small spinner miniatures, but never used on set. I have heard many stories about them through the years. If only more people that worked on the film like Tom Sothwell would be willing to share their stories with us.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: