FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
did i imagine tortoise shell grips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neosporing
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: did i imagine tortoise shell grips? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I apologize if this has already been addressed... I had always been under the impression that the original Blaster grips were tortoise shell. kind of like this..

A kind of burnt orange/amber ish with whisps of black frozen inside. I realize that a great deal of research has been done into the amberish / orangeish color ratios.. as well as the the knurling measurements. Is it impossible to do? Has it been done? Was it discovered that the grips were not tortoise shell but in fact just a deep amber?

thanks all.

Last edited by neosporing on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well look at Karl's set of Worldcon pictures there are so many of the prop hero gun.

NOT one shown any thing other than amber.

Sorry.

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Ross made his first set of grips for his PKD1 with a tortoise shell swirl. He later gave a pattern on how to paint the inside of the grips to imitate the tortoise shell look. I love how it looks, but the hero gun as Rich said, was nothing but the amber color. Since Rick Ross's guns have seemed to have been influential enough to have the PKD name become synonymous with the guns of all makes now, it would surprise me that they had influenced other things that we associate with the actual gun now.

...Also if you haven't seen Karl's photos of the hero gun you can still download the entire set here.. www.propsummit.com/brpics/worldconphotos.zip

Andy
neosporing
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I missed that detail about the grips. When the worldcon blaster surfaced I was so blown away and distracted by the other differences (weaver knob, patina of the receiver, wires sticking out of the damn shroud), that the plain grips slipped by my attention. I just assumed under that white waxy buildup on the grips was a beautiful tortoise shell pattern. I guess had they actually been tortoise I shell it would've been a nightmare to reproduce..thanks for the responses folks

TL; DR worldcon pics revealed so much other details, I never noticed the grips were plain.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that too.

Rich

neosporing wrote:
I can't believe I missed that detail about the grips. When the worldcon blaster surfaced I was so blown away and distracted by the other differences (weaver knob, patina of the receiver, wires sticking out of the damn shroud), that the plain grips slipped by my attention. I just assumed under that white waxy buildup on the grips was a beautiful tortoise shell pattern. I guess had they actually been tortoise I shell it would've been a nightmare to reproduce..thanks for the responses folks

TL; DR worldcon pics revealed so much other details, I never noticed the grips were plain.

Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning to try out some Tortoiseshell grips when I get out from under enough get the Tomenosuke amber grip project under way.

When I first saw the movie I too thought they were T-shell.
The whole 'Noir' aspect of the film didn't shed much light on them. Certainly not enough to make me think they were straight amber Smile

I really like the idea of T-shell grips, I think Rick was right on the money.

Karl
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is the black frame making the shadow look.

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:
I think it is the black frame making the shadow look.

Rich

Yes, the dark frame and kind of organic shapes, combined with the cut outs and shape of the grips does give one the impression of tortoise shell.

Another interesting thing I always loved about the grips is when reading about some of the concepts of the gun for the film that Syd Mead and Ridley Scott had talked about was a biological locking security system, where the grips would detect if the user was authorized to use the gun or not, and shut it down if not. Noeland, Rick and I had played around with the idea of putting visible circuits and electronics under the grips.

There is also modifications you can see on the inside of the grip made for mounting something inside the grip, with a port going out the back. Many have speculated that it was for a light to illuminate the grips. In the scenes where Deckard is chasing down and shooting at Zhora on the street, it does appear in at least a couple frames that the gun's grips were illuminated, but it may have been refracted light from the set.

Andy
neosporing
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proper wrote:
I am planning to try out some Tortoiseshell grips when I get out from under enough get the Tomenosuke amber grip project under way.

When I first saw the movie I too thought they were T-shell.
The whole 'Noir' aspect of the film didn't shed much light on them. Certainly not enough to make me think they were straight amber Smile

I really like the idea of T-shell grips, I think Rick was right on the money.

Karl

i'd love to get a pair of your t-shell grips... and a Tomenosuke for that matter so i can 'close the book' on this prop... i've been saving up.. i think i'm going to have to spring for the next Tomenosuke varient that pops up... unless someone wants to seel me theirs : D

I know that the worldcon pics in daylight and under flash show the amber / orange-like color... but for me i'd love a Tortoise shell or deeper 'brandy' type color as seen in the original pictures..

the straight amber on most iterations to date, just seems a tad bit on the bright side..imho

also.. i'd never heard of the grips glowing andy. that is interesting.. Has anyone done that yet?
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will point out that those are not good pictures, in fact they are either dark or darkened.

These picture present a distorted view of the prop.

The color is low note how dim the red LEDs are.

Rich

Last edited by racprops on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember the experience of seeing the movie in a theater, I thought too that those were T-shell grips...and I think it's great, in a way, that for all those years, the spectators were under that impression

We know better now, and with all the details showing through the amber + the different forms, cuts, etc, they'll never appear dull in my book Wink
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't one of the Japanese blasters doing a slick tortoise shell grip look too? Jupiter I think? Way back in the day?

I love the look of it too, and have recently been dreaming about having some really nice tortoise shell grips on a custom blaster.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why the Blaster has been so intriguing for so many years... you're not exactly sure WHAT it looks like (in the film anyway). Your imagination fills in the gaps.

Of course now the game is over, since we know virtually everything about it now. Shocked

k
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Karl. I kind of miss the days when everybody had their own version of the blaster coming out ever few months or so. Now that all seem to want to look like the "Worldcon" even in finish. Jupiter had red marbled grips but they were not translucent. They looked great though. I would love to see more individually custom styled guns and grips. Maybe that is why the clear grips were such a sensation. I can't wait to see what Rick Ross is coming up with for his Gaff guns.

Andy
jontom
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:

Noeland, Rick and I had played around with the idea of putting visible circuits and electronics under the grips.

I have a Rick Ross PKD 1.0 that I am starting soon, and trying to figure out what to put in the void between the handles. I like the idea of some circuitry, to suggest a bio-metric security feature.

-John
jontom
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can always back your grips with this!

http://www.axinc.net/100_Tortoise_Pickguard_Material_Autumn_Sunset_p/tbi100.htm
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a build I did a few years ago. An assassin gun, inspired by Rick's Zhora kit.

I sanded off the checkering, buffed the grips glass smooth, then gives them several coats of clear. I can change the graphic out, I printed several of them on heavy cardstock from skulls to heraldry, and a circuit board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: