FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Turning a Nerf into a PKD (sort of)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Turning a Nerf into a PKD (sort of) Reply with quote

As you might know, I have been doing some modding of Nerf guns to look more like blasters. The Nitefinder, which is a current Hasbro model, seems to be influenced...a LOT...by Deckard's gun in Blade Runner. It is not anywhere near perfect, but it is suggestive. And it shoots Nerf microdarts.

I did this with one Nitefinder. It looks like precisely NOTHING from any movie, but it was fun and it looks way better than stock.

http://msgeek703.googlepages.com/nitefindermod

I also gave my Rebel Fleet Trooper Nerf blaster a more authentic paint job, and it's now pretty much Rebel Legion-legal. The Nerf RFT is pretty close to screen-accurate, albeit smaller than screen accurate.

http://msgeek703.googlepages.com/rebelfleettrooper

Anyway, what I intend to do is mod another Nitefinder to look more like a PKD Blaster than the first Nitefinder mod.

Again, here's what a stock Nitefinder looks like:

Incidentally this is the stock paint job of the "victim" gun I will be modding.

My plan is to get rid of the dart rack at the bottom, and Bondo in the holes. The Nerf logo will also be ground off and filled in with Bondo to make a smooth surface, something I did with the first Nitefinder. The "fin" in front, on top of the muzzle, will be cut off and sanded down flush with the muzzle. The cocking ring will be cut off, leaving a small piece. You can see what I do with it on the other two projects.

The two things I really can't do would be the translucent amber color of the grip, and the twin triggers. I want to preserve the gun's ability to shoot Nerf darts. If I actually did open the thing up and mod the triggers it would be highly unlikely I would be able to put it back to where it would work. It's pretty tight in there. Someone has managed to do it:

http://nerfhaven.com/mods/rags_nitefinder/

but it takes a lot more skill to get it back together than take it apart. Anyway, if you had the mechanical aptitude, you could conceivably make the trigger a bit smaller and add a second non-working trigger in front. But that's a little beyond my capabilities. I'm sure it would be child's play for some of you here on this forum.

The amber, translucent grips are not going to happen for this gun. To add them would require a vacuum former and a mold taken from both sides of a more accurate reproduction. So basically I'm just going to have the grips the same matte black as the rest of the gun.

There actually are two indentations in the barrel on each side, which if I had more skillz with electronics I could conceivably drill out and put LEDs in. However, I don't have those kind of skills, so what I will be doing is gluing in four red rhinestones that fit in each 3mm indentation. They will have a nice little twinkle, but won't look too garish because I will be hitting the gun with matte clear coat as a last step. They will look pretty close to what a lit LED looks like if the results end up the way I think they will.

One thing I am going to keep stock is a few of the orange parts. You will notice I did that with the other two modded Nerf guns. I live in Los Angeles, as I have mentioned before. And yes, the LAPD really do have the attitude "if you're not Cop, you're little people." There have been too many people shot for having a gun that looks too real here. I don't want to just mount this thing on the wall for people to "ooh" and "ahh" over. I want to be able to use this thing. So basically I'm going to keep these things orange:

* The mouth of the muzzle
    * The trigger
    * The cocking assembly, sans ring.

In my experiences with the first two Nerf mods, painting the cocking assembly is a waste of paint. If you extend the rod and paint it, like I did with the first Nitefinder, you wind up with an area with paint rubbing off of it. If you don't bother extending the rod you have a rod that is half black and half orange. I did that with the RFT because it would be holstered or not cocked most of the time. This time, I'm just going to leave the thing the way it is. The orange part that is exposed by the window will get painted this time.

So yeah, I will document the progress step by step, like I've been doing with the others. And hopefully when I'm finished, it will look good and still shoot like a stock Nerf Nitefinder.
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mods, and a cool looking finished result! I like the hoses, fits in well with the general BR "look"

A little late now, but you can find some info on converting the Hasbro Rebel blaster and various Nerfs over at the BBC (especially the 2005 custom blaster contest, aka "Year of the Nerf Herders" Laughing ).

Feel free to visit and check them out by clicking my banner
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you really think that blaster is inspired by the blade runner gun? What makes you think so?

I don't see it really. I think it's a cool blaster. I modded one previously for the BBC blaster contest.

Looking forward to seeing your "blade runner" modded version too. Maybe that will help me see it!

MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:

I don't see it really. I think it's a cool blaster. I modded one previously for the BBC blaster contest.

OK, you don't have the muzzle there, but you did cut off the dart rack and that helps you see the resemblance.

The resemblance is not in details, but in general shape.

It's a blocky, futuristic looking heavy pistol. It has a "multi-leveled" stacked look to it. And right next to the trigger are two dimples which fairly cry out to be drilled out and LEDs installed inside. Like I said, I'm no good with electronics, so I'm going to use 3mm red rhinestones in the dimples.

If I was better with the mechanics of the gun I might trim down the trigger and add a second trigger in front of it for show. But the problem is, when I took the blaster apart the first time, I couldn't put it back properly. The "victim" that was ripped apart is a mess.

One other touch...if I can find a really skinny, inexpensive laser pointer, I might add one of those to one side of my blaster ala the original. Of course green lasers are scary expensive even now, so it will probably be red.

Again, look at the thing stock:

Then look back up at the Deckard blaster.

Are you beginning to see it now?
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToothTech wrote:

Feel free to visit and check them out by clicking my banner

Your submissions to the contest are awesome. Again, I'm not really in everyone's league here. Your blasters are props that could be on a movie set and belong. I'm just having fun with mine.

I'll keep everyone posted on the PKD mod.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you beginning to see it now?

Nope. I'm sorry, but beyond the angle of the grip maybe, and the fact that it's kind of grooved for fingers, I just don't think they are even close.

But like I said, maybe after you mod one out, I'll see it then.

You should enter the blaster contest! It's a whole lot of fun. I've entered before, and the guys over at BBC are very cool.
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
You should enter the blaster contest! It's a whole lot of fun. I've entered before, and the guys over at BBC are very cool.

I'm not going to be able to do it this time. At least not with my current projects.

1.) I have already shown off the blaster I was going to likely enter, that being the Nitefinder mod with the hoses. I have also posted a "how-to" with my name on it on my Googlepages space. So it can't be an anonymous entry.

2.) This project in progress is specifically being done "shooting for" a specific movie prop look. This year the blaster contest is for original design blasters.

3.) If I feel inspired and I still have paint and Bondo left, maybe I'll do one more blaster to enter the contest.
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerf gun in bondo! Woo! (SFW)

The progress of the Nerf/PKD-esque mod will be viewable at this page:

http://msgeek703.googlepages.com/nitefindermod2

Tomorrow I celebrate Independence Day by doing the paint job.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, can't wait to see her progress pics and then pics of her completed!!

MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's done. W00t!

Is this PKD-like enough? Or is it just a nice redo of a Nitefinder? You be the judge.

http://msgeek703.googlepages.com/nitefindermod2
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was expecting something more along these lines:

If you will permit me a little quickie photoshop fun! Smile

I do like your paint scheme for a modded out nightfinder, but I still don't see the PKD styling in your mods. Wink
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
Well, I was expecting something more along these lines:

Actually...that IS awesome!

And aside from the trigger mod, it's doable. Maybe someone with more leet skillz in the electronics department might want to take a Nitefinder to the next level. I was looking for those Belkin illuminated PDA styluses at Fry's but they don't carry them anymore. If I had found one I would have velcro-ed it to one side.

Can I post this photo on my page? I think it's awesome.

Oh yeah: the places where I kept the orange color are there to scream out "don't shoot, this is a toy." In LA in particular this is important. Then again, considering that there have been recent incidents where gang bangers have been found with real guns with safety orange paint, this might not be a foolproof way of distinguishing toy from real anymore. Another thing is without the cocking mechanism there is no way to shoot Nerf darts from the gun. And maintaining the Nerf-ability was one of the goals of this mod.

Anyway...thanks for the awesome Photoshopping. You've done a man's job.
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, two last questions to my buddies here on the forum:

1.) Which Nitefinder mod do you like the best: with hose or hoseless?

2.) Should I add some weathering to the second one?

Thanks,
Michelle aka Ms. Geek
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And aside from the trigger mod, it's doable.

Ahhh, not so fast. I've had this gun apart lets not forget, so I actually thought about a way to cut the trigger so it stays as 1 unit, but looks like 2 triggers.

You need a dremel, and a bit of styrene, or bondo to thicken the "back" trigger" but since the top and bottom of the trigger are hidden into the gun, you can remove the black material from the trigger and give the illusion of it being 2 triggers.

Not bad, eh?

Quote:
Can I post this photo on my page? I think it's awesome.

Thank you, and it's your photo you can post it wherever you'd like to. But you can post my trigger photo too if you want. Feel free.

Quote:
Maybe someone with more leet skillz in the electronics departmen might want to take a Nitefinder to the next level.

Yeah, that's where my skills suck. I tried wiring the RR snubbie recently and failed so miserably. Crying or Very sad I have a long way to go to learn electronics, but I'll get there!

Quote:
the places where I kept the orange color are there to scream out "don't shoot, this is a toy."

Yes, I know, but for me this stuff is for display in the privacy of my home, or for use in a film of some kind, which also negates the need to have it fire the nerf darts. Smile

Quote:
1.) Which Nitefinder mod do you like the best: with hose or hoseless?

I like hoseless.

Quote:
2.) Should I add some weathering to the second one?

It looks fine as is, but a bit of weather never hurts. Well, if it were real it would hurt, but since it's not . . . Wink
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:

Ahhh, not so fast. I've had this gun apart lets not forget, so I actually thought about a way to cut the trigger so it stays as 1 unit, but looks like 2 triggers.

You need a dremel, and a bit of styrene, or bondo to thicken the "back" trigger" but since the top and bottom of the trigger are hidden into the gun, you can remove the black material from the trigger and give the illusion of it being 2 triggers.

Not bad, eh?

That IS awesome. I once opened one of my guns but I couldn't get it back together to either fire or light up. This is why when I modded the two other Nitefinders and the Star Wars Rebel Fleet Trooper I did everything on the outside of the gun, without touching the moving parts. Yeah, I'm lame. Confused Oh yeah, I do have a rotary tool. It's a Wen, not a Dremel, but it uses Dremel attachments.

Noeland wrote:
Thank you, and it's your photo you can post it wherever you'd like to. But you can post my trigger photo too if you want. Feel free.

Thanks. I'm actually thinking of coloring the grip area like you suggest in the pic. I'm thinking that copper metallic might be nice. It would mean wrapping the rest of the gun in brown paper and masking tape for the added color but I can handle that.

Yeah, a little bit of weathering would look nice, but I must take care not to overdo it. That's one of the weaknesses of Nitefinder #1.

Thanks for your constructive suggestions!
Ms. Geek
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Noeland pictures are now up with the rest of the pix documenting my second Nitefinder mod.

I think I actually will go through with repainting the grip. Unfortunately the Belkin lighted PDA stylus does not exist anymore, so I may have to figure out something else to put up on top. Or maybe I'll just skip that.

In any event, Noeland's ideas really could make a Nitefinder look like a Blade Runner gun. Maybe someone with more skillz could attempt it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: