FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Ad's Scale Model Nostromo Interiors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Isnochys79, i enclose a couple of photographs from my archives of the equipment locker.
The first one is the Bulkhead entrance to the Equipment locker--beyond you can see the "Table" and stacks of bottles and Shark Containers. behind the photographer is the entrance to the Garage Bay.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15756972820/

The next photo shows the view of the Equipment Locker (looking toward the doorway) P.O.V shot from where Jones the cat springs from the locker. Looking at this picture the overhead bulkhead frame dividing the room was where Veronica Cartwright was suspended from facing toward us, on the bottom left side of the partition next to the doorway Yaphett Kotto sat slumped.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15772517227/

This photo shows a nice wide shot of The Alien "Crab Crawling" toward Lambert. the doorway is to the Left, this would be the view that Parker would have as he was struggling with bottles and his flamethrower. note the room layout, the stacks of Shark containers and bottles along with the table have been cleared away and replaced with a modular unit taken from the Bridge Set between The Alien and Lambert.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15956278461/

The final shot shows the bodies of Lambert and Parker in the Equipment Locker room, just beyond is the doorway where the bottles lay forlornly. Ripley would have had a diametrically opposite view to us from the doorway.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15957599802/

Bonus picture!! here The Alien begins his "Crab Walk" from his position in the doorway, beyond which is C' Level corridor and the entrance to the Garage Bay. Lambert is just behind the photgrapher and Parker would be out of shot to the Left.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15956275681/

I hope this comprehensively explains the Locale of Parker and Lamberts demise in the equipment Locker Room.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Ads1066...good pics and excellent explanations of that famous scene
Isnochys79
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't wait for so perfect explanations. Thanks Space Jockey and Ads1066... Have you worked on the movie when filming ?? Wink
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks guys--Isnochys79--not quite no, but a close family friend did so at the time 'Alien' was being filmed so i was able to when i was a bit older glean some information, photo's, momento's, etc, after much pestering and questioning, though i never went to the movie set ( big disappointment now!!) during filming as everyone was very blase and "Another B' Movie" attitude and not really much was spoken about the story or anything--only Star Wars interested me at that time--I have been to Shepperton on quite a few occasions--unfortunately a housing estate now sits on most of the studios used for filming 'Alien'. For me London is the spiritual home of 'Alien' and Bray Studios (near Maidenhead, other side of Heathrow Airport) is the Home of 'The Nostromo'

In terms of the layout and my model construction Then & Now i always base then on the sound stage layout so my feet is grounded in a degree of "reality" in a world of Fantasy!! i approach each project as a set designer would do and work in a specific way ( work from the ground upward ) and constantly check the model using a lens and ensure it pretty much matches a specific scene which i want to reconstruct. the only difference ( beside scale ) is the time limit compared to an actual production, Studio production time for 'Alien' was only 16 weeks (not including post-production and tying up loose ends at Bray) which isn't really a great deal of time and you can appreciate the real pressure Ridley and the team were really "Under The Cosh" and can understand why the sets were designed as such despite the encrusted detail given to them, a fair bit of the 'Alien' sets survived in various guises having been snapped up by the BBC and other production teams--a very common affair back then when folk would wander about the back lot poking about in the piles of burning debris and skipped rubbish!!

Right, back to the A' Level corridor model, hopefully i can finish off a section today ( complete with ceiling and TV monitors ) painted and weathered!!
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest update today, started work on the Garage Bay Tractor Unit, the Survey Buggy is pretty much finished, the plan is to build the various vehicles in the Garage Bay Set first, and using them to scale i will build the Garage Bay Set around them, a pretty big project in my Nostromo model set!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/16003826002/

Photo link showing Tractor Unit with Primer paint applied. the "Bomb" trailer will follow after final construction is finished on the Tractor first.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That garage is going to look complete alright Shocked
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks joberg,
I am really quite looking forward to eventually seeing the completed set, need to plough thru the vehicles first off and from there i will construct the Garage Bay decking and work up from there, I think an awful lot of Gold paint is going to be applied to this particular diorama!! i have enclosed two photo links (Below) showing "current State Of Play" with the building and detailing of the Tractor Unit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15992380656/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15830914310/

The daylight is not a great help as i feel shadowy half-siffused lighting will make the vehicle more believable, at home in the evenings when i look at this vehicle it actually looks really cool, pity the camera cannot capture that essence what the Mark-1 eyeball perceives!!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did I miss this thread so far ???
AWESOME work Ads1066, I can see true love for A L I E N being put into these models !!!
Will keep an eye on this section of the board from now on, can't wait to see your next update...
Cool
Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome...and you're right about that gold paint (lot's of it Very Happy )
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks Guys
Here is today's effort's--I have built the "Bomb" Trailer and added the "Gripper" to the front of the Tractor Unit. Tomorrow i will start on making the "Missiles" for the trailer, get it primed and finish off with the Gold/Silver paint and final weathering then moving back to the Tractor Unit and finishing that off before tackling the VTOL Craft!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/16027695895/
Side View of Tractor and Trailer Unit
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know that tractor had a trailer Shocked
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me it's not a trailer, rather the rear side of an articulated tractor.
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always assumed that The Tractor Unit was a "Prime" mover, and cargo or hauled goods would be on the "Trailer". In the U.S the prime mover is the Tractor Unit--the physical hauler element. the Trailer being non-powered would obviously be classed as a trailer unit. maybe i am wrong but i have always assumed this vehicle as Tractor and Trailer Unit.

Like other vehicles in the Garage Bay i suspect they have no genuine application but designed to give the Garage Bay an appropriate appearance half lit up, partially shadowed giving them a very mechanical but sinister look--a nice hidey place for the similar biomechanoid Alien creature....Not a place i would ordinarily want to wander about alone--although i would have a fascination with the chamber!

I have added a reference photo of the Garage Bay set being constructed, looking toward the VTOL Craft in the background, the Tractor Unit in the foreground. out of shot to the Left would be a section of C' Level Corridor and the Equipment Locker Room, over on the Right just behind the Tractor Unit is the Claw Room. in the immediate Right out of shot was H. R Giger's Creature Workshop, stocked full of his paintings, statues, and suits of Alien Costume Latex for the daily appearance 'On Set' essential personnel only!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15896905235/in/set-72157649442515546
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ads1066 wrote:

Like other vehicles in the Garage Bay i suspect they have no genuine application but designed to give the Garage Bay an appropriate appearance half lit up, partially shadowed giving them a very mechanical but sinister look--a nice hidey place for the similar biomechanoid Alien creature....Not a place i would ordinarily want to wander about alone--although i would have a fascination with the chamber!

I totally agree on that !

Ads1066 wrote:

I have added a reference photo of the Garage Bay set being constructed, looking toward the VTOL Craft in the background, the Tractor Unit in the foreground. out of shot to the Left would be a section of C' Level Corridor and the Equipment Locker Room, over on the Right just behind the Tractor Unit is the Claw Room. in the immediate Right out of shot was H. R Giger's Creature Workshop, stocked full of his paintings, statues, and suits of Alien Costume Latex for the daily appearance 'On Set' essential personnel only!!

Great photo and info on where Giger's workshop was located at that point during production, thank you for that Ads1066 !
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Skin Job,
Today i am finishing off the "Bombs"/Missiles on the trailer unit--only 4 more to carve, sand and paint! then i can finish off the Tractor Unit, i will endeavour to post up a Photo today of my latest effort!
I enclose another shot "Taken from the rafters" of the Garage Bay, this time in color!! in the photo you can clearly see ( Top-Right) beyond the Tractor Unit H.R Giger's Creature Workshop as previously mentioned. Bottom Right is a stretch of C' level corridor and the Junction with the Garage bay entrance and Equipment Locker Room entrance. This stretch of C' Level corridor went past down to the Left of the Photo, turned and followed the edge of the Garage-Bay and Claw Rooms. Also we can see the VTOL craft under construction over on the Left hand side.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15894908451/in/set-72157649442515546
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As promised, finished the "Missiles" for the Trailer Unit ( See picture below ), just a spot of weathering to do and add some wiring between the Trailer and Tractor Unit. Hopefully i'll have this vehicle done by weeks end. the Shots are a bit "ad-hoc" as i haven't started on the decking for the Garage Bay as yet--still have to finish off the A' Level Corridor set, i don't want to spread myself out too thinly and lose motivation. after i have finished the A' Level corridor i will commence work on the other Articulated Tracked Vehicle barely glimpsed in the final film, last but not least will come the VTOL Craft!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/16042597535/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good...eager to see what you'll do with the VTOL
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks Joberg--I am resting easy on the Tractor Unit for a spell and finishing off my A' Level Corridor set ( see photo below ) so afterward i can focus entirely on the Garage Bay vehicles and set. I am gathering plenty cardboard and wigits for The Build!

Yes the VTOL Craft will be interesting to build, i have a picture of Cobb's sketch of the VTOL, and some photos for reference, i feel a box of "Drinking Straws" are in order, i think the crew nicknamed it the "Flying Bedstead" with the amount of tubular iron work needed! basically Roger Christian bought up virtually two dissasembled Canberra bombers and built the Garage Bay vehicles from the pieces as well as a fair proportion of the C' Level corridor mechanics. The VTOL was dressed from a canberra Rolls-Royce jet engine with a standard 'Nostromo' seat fitted at the front--wow, what a ride that could have been!!

A photo of the A' Level Corridor, i am working on the section immediately outside the Infirmary Doorway and the final section with the "Window"...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/16043152915/

A side view of the VTOL "Flying Bedstead"....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15871085406/
Ads1066
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost almost there! this section immediately outside the Infirmary Doorway is finished and here are a couple of photos taken from each end of the section,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15863820067/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/88809084@N05/15862299370/

all there is left to do is finish off the Observation window section of the corridor, and thats that!! I can resume the Nostromo Garage Bay Project unfettered!!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those corridors are looking very good! What kind of lighting you're going to set up in those?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Scale Modeling All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: