View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which imperfections Shocked ?? Incredibly dynamic pose Cool
tinylight
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While working my way around the figure sanding down surfaces and giving some areas extra attention or detail I realised I had neglected to make the belt for the trench coat. Using a thin ribbon of epoxy putty I created the belt and sculpted in the stitching detail remembering to keep it as a separate part for ease of painting later on.

Once I had been around the figure a couple of times with the sanding sponges it was time to give it a final coat of fine surface primer.

My original intention for this project was to create that 'missing' model of Deckard I had always wanted for my collection. The research, planning and sculpting have been at times almost overwhelming and have certainly challenged my skills. More importantly I realised that I am still able to learn new things which has helped to keep me fresh and inspired throughout the project so far.
The response from forum members has been wonderful and a huge motivator, thank you Very Happy

After some consideration and a little nostalgia for my garage-kit collecting days, I have decided to turn the Deckard figure into a kit. Partly because I want the figure to go that extra distance and become the kit I always wanted, but also to push my experience as a model-maker and give myself some further challenges. I'm just putting off painting it now Wink

I'll continue to record my progress of the production, from the garage of course!

Although having already created the figure in sub assemblies there is now some considerable work still to be done in order to prepare the figure for moulding…now, where did I put that saw! Shocked
Velvet Morning
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top notch detail tinylight!
Glad you decided to offer kits!
No doubt he is going to be fun to mold! Very Happy

Best- S.
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinylight wrote:

After some consideration and a little nostalgia for my garage-kit collecting days, I have decided to turn the Deckard figure into a kit.

You just made a man happy. Thank you and congratulations, never a Deckard was made so accurate and with so much artistic abbilities and attention to detail. You have a buyer here when you a re ready Smile
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE IT! Cool Great pose, details and now that you're going to make it as a kit is even better!! This is going to sell like hot chocolate croissants!

Good luck with the molds Wink
Robotprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching this from the start and I have to say that this is stunning.
Outstanding work!
Your work on this is ambitious and beyond reproach.
tinylight
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm hot chocolate croissants…

Just a small update. I have spent most of the week cutting, sawing, grinding and filling. Thankfully my idea of sculpting the figure in sub-assemblies (so it would be easier to paint) has saved me a lot of work breaking down the figure into mouldable parts, however creating male/female 'keys' to aid assembly has tested my patience a little.

Each part will now be 'gated' and 'vented' and the delightful task of constructing seventeen separate mould boxes will no doubt fill my entire week ahead...

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that poor Deck felt a little "off" lately, but that's ridiculous
Joke apart; fun, fun, fun with the molds for sure. Eager to see the first pull Wink
tinylight
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does the time go!

It seem quite a while since I posted anything here but I can assure you that I have not been idling away the hours. Before embarking on the task of making the moulds I made a couple of minor adjustments to the sculpt - thanks Bwood Wink Unfortunately this did set my schedule back a few days and subsequently gating, venting and building mould boxes took far longer than I had anticipated. I also decided to change brands of silicone and resin (last minute nerves) and had to make a couple of compatibility tests before I was happy to go ahead and make the moulds.

Finally the moulds were made and I could start casting…

The first master cast. I'm quite pleased with the results and the quality of the new resin is excellent, details are crisp and have reproduced well. I still however think that a lot of the casting process is an eldritch art and much of its success is in the hands of the 'resin gods'. Shocked

Now that production is underway I can finally get round to painting one of the figures between casting sessions. I have cleaned up a set of parts, keeping the sub-assemblies and primed them ready for painting. It feels like it has taken forever to get to this stage so I'm quite excited to be able to get some paint on this guy. It's been quite a while since I have done any painting so hopefully it'll be a nice way to finish the year and give the airbrush a well earned workout.

I'll be taking my time over the casting making sure the quality is high and consistent over the batches so hopefully I'll have some kits ready for the new year. I'll keep you posted.Wink
Velvet Morning
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful casts, tinylight! What resin did you switch to?
Looking forward to the paint up and so excited for the kits!

Best- S.
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sublime effort for sure.
Beardybloke
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am blown away by the massive talent need to produce such a beautiful piece, I've been following this thread eagerly and can't wait to see it painted
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely incredible work. I would even say you will make the Japanese kit makers very jealous. This is the best I have ever seen.

Andy
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exemplary.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Amazing once again...and as Andy said: those Japanese have now some strong competition Wink
tinylight
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott - I have always preferred a fastcast polyurethane, but decided to opt for a PU with a much lower viscosity and longer pot-life this time, it gives me a little more time to pour and make sure it gets into all the details.

Beardybloke - Thank you and keep up the great work on the LA2019 figs.

Andy - Many thanks, I'm not sure I'm quite ready to take on the Japanese yet. Wink

On with some painting…Collecting together my reference images it was clear early on that the actual colours of the the costume vary greatly between shots. Photographic stock, screen grabs, stills, lighting etc. all seem to affect the tones of the clothing. Even the exhibition and 'showroom' images of the actual costumes which show them in their 'purest' form made me realise that some of the clothing could be, well, downright colourful, not something I associated with the grimy LA of 2019.

Without wanting to seem 'arty' I decided that I would try and paint the figure with as much atmosphere as I could and while probably not being totally accurate, convey the 'feel' of the character and environment as much as possible. With the figure being 1/6 scale it has some very large areas to cover and I thought this may be an opportunity to try and see if I could break down those areas with some colour 'modulation' and 'filters' as I have seen utilised by AFV and armour modellers to great effect and imbue a little rain-soaked future into the piece.

Anyway, enough postulating…

Primed torso

Airbrushed in a red/brown base-coat for the upper panel and collar of the shirt.

Started to work over the highlights and shadows of the upper shirt. Most of this is hand painted rather than airbrushed using many very thin layers of paint in order to gradually build up the highlights and shades and break up the large flat areas with some tonal variation.

Lower part of the shirt airbrushed in with a grey/blue/green tone.

Here the brushwork is a little clearer to see. I've tried to follow the natural contours in the fabric and highlight where the light would fall. I have also applied some glazes of transparent colours to 'filter' the tones and again try and introduce some variation and a little warmth into the large areas.

Details and patterned areas of the shirt. On looking through my reference images I was amazed and slightly daunted at the complexity of what appears to be a fairly simple design.

With the piece being quite large at 1/6 scale I took the opportunity to have a go and try to paint in some of the textural details of the design.

What I already considered to be quite a garish shirt was compounded with the inclusion of the tie. The tie took a couple of attempts as the colour seems to be slightly different in almost every picture I have! I might try some tonal adjustments once it's in a little more context with the jacket and trench coat.

Hopefully more soon...
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just incredible.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautifully painted Cool
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally awesome... I'm blown away Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would someone please pinch me? I think I'm dreaming.

Seriously, that shirt is amazing O_O
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: