FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
the DOCTOR's Metal Sidkit- FINISHED! (ish)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the DOCTOR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: the DOCTOR's Metal Sidkit- FINISHED! (ish) Reply with quote

Long time, no post from me, but as it's nearly, so nearly, done, here's some pics of my Sidkit blaster:

Note the reshaped trigger guard, and the 3mm LED mounts.

The slide has been limited in its travel with a mushroom capheap bolt, with a corresponding groove in the slide endcap.

The two moulded in caphead bolts have been replaced with the real thing, and the bore of the barrel has been reduced to the correct diameter- I melted down one of the supplied white metal bullets, and gently teased it into position with a soldering iron. You can also just see that the probe in the Steyr barrel retracts with the slide.

Also added was the firth LED on the magazine, and the two green LEDs on the sight, but I didn't hook them up to the power supply.

Custom made acrylic stand.

Just for fun, an aluminium carry case, with genuine deactivated magnum rounds.

I also cut out the portion of the sidecover under the lever, and inserted a length of ABS tube in the barrel, to reduce the diameter, and add strength as it now runs all the way to the cylinder, rather than there being a blank where the bullets leave the cylinder and enter the barrel!

The gloss black is two-pack acrylic, with the Steyr parts treated with gun blue, I reckon it should be bit darker, so I'll be rebluing it in the near future.

Sitting on the desk, waiting for the call- "Five skinjobs on the loose, can you take care of them?"
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yow. What a beautiful piece. Did you mill off the replica bolts and did you thread in or glue in the real ones?

Which brand of gun blue did you use?

Incredibly fine looking blaster.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that looks spectacular!! The weathered upper is awesome, and the gloss you got from the black looks stellar.

Two big thumbs up here!

Tom
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiny!

Awesome piece of work there - thanks for sharing! Very Happy

oldzey
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. How did you reshape teh trigger guard- just brute force?
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations....that is the nicest sidkit I've seen.What was the original bore diameter?
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful work there - I'm impressed (and jealous!) Very Happy
the DOCTOR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! Always nice to get get a good reaction!

I'll answer some of the questions:

Yup, the trigger guard was rehaped with brute force- the metal is some kind of non-toxic pewter or white metal, and while quite tough, it still bends fairly easily, I printed out a suitable WorldCon pic to full size, and bent it to match, I had to fill the bolt hole at the front of the guard, and had to saw off around 5mm to get it to fit properly, before drilling a new hole for the bolt.

The new bolts on the front of the Steyr are screwed into slightly small holes in the .38 barrell, as the metal is soft, they cut thier own threads!

The barrell's bore, as supplied, is around 14mm, but it needs to be 9.7mm, or .38 of an inch, if you prefer!!

The gun blue is BIRCHWOOD CASEY PERMA BLUE LIQUID GUN BLUE, purchased from Ebay, as I couldn't find a gunshop in my area (I've now found one while stuck in traffic, looking at a parade of shops five minutes from where I work, D'oh!)

And the reason I say it's nearly finished is because I'm toying with the idea of taking silicone moulds of the parts that should be plastic, and casting them up in black resin, and replacing the butt plate with an aluminium one.

Anyone else feel that they never really finish a project? Rolling Eyes
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-I think the butt plate was figured out to be stainless steel.
-I have been trying to get a local friend who has the real Steyr parts to make some molds for me as well. I hope someone here would be willing to offer these, because he is very reluctant to do it.
-Shouldn't the bore of the Barrel be 12mm since the caliber is .44?
-Great idea using the scaled print of the Worldcon Hero.

I know how projects like this are. I have many of stalled projects because I am having trouble with one detail. At least you have something somewhat completed in the mean time to show off. Smile
the DOCTOR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
-I think the butt plate was figured out to be stainless steel.

Hmm, think the machining of Stainless is beyond me! Aluminium, on the other hand...

Quote:
-I have been trying to get a local friend who has the real Steyr parts to make some molds for me as well. I hope someone here would be willing to offer these, because he is very reluctant to do it.

Well if, if, I do it for mine, there is a chance that I can make them available to like-minded individuals...

Actually, I've got an unmade Monsters in Motion blaster, are the Steyr parts on that more accurate than the Sidkit ones? Because if so, they'd be a better starting point for resin add-ons!

Quote:
-Shouldn't the bore of the Barrel be 12mm since the caliber is .44?

Now that I have it in front of me, instead of relying on my memory, yes: quite correct- deactivated .44 shells (the clue is the words "W-W SUPER 44 REM MAG" on each round!)

Quote:
-Great idea using the scaled print of the Worldcon Hero.

Thanks- it's the sort of thing I do everyday at work, so it seemed the easiest way!

Quote:
I know how projects like this are. I have many of stalled projects because I am having trouble with one detail. At least you have something somewhat completed in the mean time to show off. Smile

Makes a blessed change for me, I have more half-made models than finished ones, if only I could find the time!
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.44 is close enough to .38 by eye,perhaps the projectiles use a "squeeze bore"effect to increase velocity.That is they are smaller going out than going in....
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just missed out on a couple of the old MiM resin m2019guns. They seem to be pretty complex kits. Based mostly off of the Hartford I believe. May also be based off of some real gun parts. The "Stayr Mennlichar" is a bit of a giveaway though.

The barrel of the hero I am pretty sure was a custom made piece and only intended to shoot blanks, so the size might not have been that important.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just missed out on a couple of the old MiM resin m2019guns. They seem to be pretty complex kits. Based mostly off of the Hartford I believe.

Top my eye, I would agree with you. I think they used parts from different kits and if they cast from anything real it would only be chart arms parts, not steyr.

Too bad about missing the kits man, I have started working very seriously on my unfinished kit collection, I love 'em!!

har har.

Quote:
perhaps the projectiles use a "squeeze bore"effect to increase velocity

A "squeeze bore" is also known as an "exploding gun". You can only use it once, but you're never able to shoot another gun anyway, so who cares?

Oh, and doctor, your sidkit kicks heaping piles of replicant ass my friend. Excellent job. EXCELLENT!!!
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeeze bores have been done,both Britain and Germany deployed weapons using the principle in ww2.Dicarding sabot with sub caliber projectiles was simpler and better.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlejohn_adaptor
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: