FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
2049 Scavenger Phone, Anyone translate the Arabic and Kanji?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jinxed
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: 2049 Scavenger Phone, Anyone translate the Arabic and Kanji? Reply with quote

So, I've been sitting on a PRC6 that I want to finish up into the scavenger phone seen at the San Diego Con and on Tested @ 13min mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fAk0CObPE4

I've been collecting pics and screen grabs when I find them which has basically revealed most of the text on the prop. I can copy it, but I'd like to know what I'm replicating.

Most of the yellow and white Kanji I think I've figured out. But there are a couple smaller lines in grey and one in black I just can't see well enough to make out. Those may have to wait till better reference surfaces.

But what I believe is in Arabic...I've had zero luck with. Like the Kanji, it seems to be one or two words that are repeated in various places. Maybe a couple of individual characters here and there.

Anyone here gone down this particular rabbit hole?
jinxed
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what I have. The labeled kanji just repeats.

I often wonder on this stuff, if its just visual stylizing, or hopefully there was some thought put into what it's saying.

One of the characters seems to be slightly different in a couple places and weathering could also be altering it, but if it was intended as 老 (grow old - old man) then 幸存老 could be taken as fortunate to exist to grow old. That's embarrassingly clunky on my part, but seems too on point given the story to be coincidental?

The arrowed lines of text are a mystery to me.

jinxed
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So it looks like I solved my own riddle. Pulled a couple more screen shots from the tested video that showed the same Arabic text on the other side. Had a friend of mine from Egypt take a look and bingo!

إلى القمر والعودة - "to the moon and back" which is most often found on novelty items in it's entirety: أحبك إلى القمر والعودة - "I love you to the moon and back"

Maybe by "moon" they're referring to "offworld"... Wink

Now...what's all those numbers refer to?...
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great! Thanks for translating all this text.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: