FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Matchstick Man Revisited

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Matchstick Man Revisited Reply with quote

I wasn't able to find any conversation on this minor prop that touched on different materials. Apologies if someone has already covered it...

I found myself twiddling my thumbs yesterday afternoon while waiting for some videos to render and used the time to start prototyping/practicing my "authentic" matchstick man. Not too bad, but not good.

I assumed that what Gaff had been working with was a wooden match, but this was, I think, a little editorial misdirection and have been working on a different premise for awhile. Between the deleted scenes and a closer look at the film, I've decided that what Gaff makes is really a "Q-tip man."

In the deleted scenes, Gaff enters Leon's bathroom before Deckard, and takes (what appears to be) a cotton swap/Q-tip from the sink. In the finished film, we see that the head is white and mis-shapened, both while Gaff is working on his project, and in the deleted scene where Leon picks up the finished origami after Deckard and Gaff leave.

Just my interpretation.

rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And because I know y'all are just dying to make your own... The "matchstick" I used is a wooden cotton swab that I soaked in water for about an hour to soft the wood.

I used a razor knife to split the legs and support, as well as work the arms out. You can see where my X-acto Knife Fu didn't make the grade as far as getting a screen-used look down.

I did a little bit of careful wet-shaping, and then pinned the figures down and let them air dry over night.

There is something "romantic" about a matchstick prop - it seems more fitting in the cigarette hazed world of Blade Runner - so I don't know if I will bother to keep working toward a more accurate looking Q-tip version or not. It has been a fun distraction, either way.

stussy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never seen a wooden q tip rick Smile
rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day... I was a little surprised to find them still being made, at least the double ended variety. The longer single tip ones are still used in labs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: