FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
PRODUCTION INFO on the Johnnie Walker Bottle: A Found Item
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: PRODUCTION INFO on the Johnnie Walker Bottle: A Found Item Reply with quote

OK,

I have been checking with various production sources related to Blade Runner about this bottle and here is what I have found out from them so far.

Tom Southwell: "To answer your question about the JohnnieWalker® bottle I think you need to ask the propmaster or art director David L. Snyder. I don't recall doing anything for this prop. We did get some help from many companies to pay for signs but this was not on my list. Set dressing brought many exotic bottles to Ridley Scott for him to select and I guess the prop master did the same thing (just a guess). I would not be surprised if Mr.Scott selected an odd bottle and asked to put a Johnnie Walker® label on it(just a guess)."

David L. Snyder: "The Johnny Walker bottle and the badge would have been in the domain of Terry Lewis, Art Schippe and David Quick, the Prop guys. Maybe the answer to your question lies within the boxed set."

Art Shippee: "It was a store item we did not make it. But I don't remember what was in it most likely a liquor of some type."

So this is what I have found so far. I will ask a few more questions of Art, but what I heard from other sources like Charlie deLauzirika, I believe the bottle to be a found item. I was told by another source that a buyer was sent out to purchase unique set dressing items suited for the production. This makes sense.

That's it for now. Hope to dig up more. I just don't want to be too much of a pest to these people. I hope everyone here can understand that.

UPDATE: Asked Art Shippee if plastic copies of the bottle were made since there appears to be two sizes and people were wondering. Here was his brief answer:

Art Shippee: "Not that I recall"

--------------------------------------------

Thanks,
John

Last edited by spinner44.com on Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Awesome info!! I always love seeing the insights of those that worked on the film.

Thanks for sharing these interviews

Tom
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work. Yeah, I understand you not wanting to be too much of a pest. You just never know how that's going to look to them.

Thank You for posting what you have found out so far though.

Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, John.

Thanks for chasing this info and sharing.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks spinner, and since you posted names of your sources with the information I can say I am inclined believe it (hint, hint, you know who Wink).

This does fit into my feeling as well, but time still will tell.
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help. I'm happy there are a few who appreciate it and find it beneficial. Thanks. Smile
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your information is always an invaluable contribution spinner. thanks for sharing this stuff.
I haven't got a clue how you manage to contact these guys but I'm glad you've gone out your way to do so Cool
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update in first post.

-
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! This helps eliminate alot of theory and speculation to what is an important claim on the bottle.

Did you ever mention propsummit to these guys spinner? you never know if they might drop by Wink
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Art Shippee says they were a 'store item' does he mean bought from a store (supermarket) or found in a prop store?
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe store means store.

-
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinner44.com wrote:
I believe store means store.

-

I see. I'm a Brit so - as some dubious US online Dictionary puts it:

store
6. Chiefly British. a storehouse or warehouse.

I'm off to the shop to get some groceries Wink
SSB
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it would mean 'store-bought' – purchased from a shop.

-Mike
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinefex magazine often has the Phone numbers and addresses to the effects houses these guys work for, and can often easily be contacted by. Remember that working on a famous movie doesn't always make someone famous themselves, at least so much that they hide from public contact.

I think it would also be better if they didn't know about this place because they would represent the studios they work for and may give grief to a member that sells their work here. I do know that the studios know about the RPF at least, and some insiders know about this place, so discretion is always advised.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this may be late for the discussion, but the bottle in question looks more like an item not from the USA. It also looks more like a container for cooking oil rather than alcohol. This could (and has) lead to searches in all the wrong places.

It is a food-grade, clear, plastic, twist-off top, bottle. Even in the 80's, this is not common for alcohol.

Just guessing from its shape and construction, it looks like a sesame oil, rice wine vinegar or similar product type container. Considering the Asian products that show up in the film, it seems likely that this should be an area of search.

It is also clear from the Annie images, it was never a JW bottle.

For those still searching for an original bottle, this should prove helpful.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think we have established that atleast one of the bottles was glass (Bryant's), though the oil idea is a good one to look into. Most of my searches were based on the bottle's design (i.e "square bottle", "block bottle"), I tried to not limit myself to assumptions when searching unless I have a good inclination to. I keep my searches simple, even if it means wading through thousands of hits. Image search is always been a good friend too, but does limit oneself too much at times, but makes for quicker ID'ing, and has lead to few good finds.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not certain if anyone has mentioned it yet...

In a recent discussion with a lady who did her Directorial Internship on Blade-Runner it was revealed that the Whiskey Bottle was from Asia.
She apparently commented that this was due to the general interest in using all things "Asian".

I don't know if that helps to narrow the search or not but every little detail...
Snake
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my thoughts:

Masao wrote:
....but the bottle in question looks more like an item not from the USA.

To me it looks like it could come from any country.

Masao wrote:
It also looks more like a container for cooking oil rather than alcohol. This could (and has) lead to searches in all the wrong places.

I don't recall anyone assuming it was originally for alcohol. People have already suggested it could have been used for olive oil, juice, water, a cleaning product such as ammonia, medicine and, of course, Listerine.
In other words, many different avenues have been searched....no results yet.

Masao wrote:
It is a food-grade, clear, plastic, twist-off top, bottle. Even in the 80's, this is not common for alcohol.

A "food-grade" container is basically defined as: any container that will not transfer any noxious or toxic material to any food placed within that container.

You can not tell simply by looking at a picture of a container whether it is food-grade. (Though I hope it was food-grade....since the actors were actually drinking from it. Smile )

"clear": Yes, we've already determined that it's clear. Smile

"plastic": Seems to be. Still only a theory. (Actually, Andy, I don't think anyone has concrete evidence that Bryant's was made of glass.) The way the light diffuses off the glass indicates plastic to me...of course, hard to tell from just looking at videos and pictures.

"twist-off top": Why are you assuming that? Yes, it's LIKELY that it's a twist-off. No pictures to prove it.

Also, alcohol has been sold in plastic bottles since the plastic bottle was invented. It's VERY common.

Masao wrote:
Just guessing from its shape and construction, it looks like a sesame oil, rice wine vinegar or similar product type container.

I can see why you would make that guess. Others have already considered the same or similar possibilities. Bottom line is: it's a bottle. It could have held almost anything. Could have held chopped spinach for all we know.

Masao wrote:
Considering the Asian products that show up in the film, it seems likely that this should be an area of search.

I did an image search for "asian whiskey bottle". Here's one of the images I found:

Actually, I think it's wine, not whiskey. Who wants the first shot?

Masao wrote:
It is also clear from the Annie images, it was never a JW bottle.

We've already determined that. The only thing the Annie pics show is that the same bottle used in BR, or a similar one, was also used in another film.

Masao wrote:
For those still searching for an original bottle, this should prove helpful.

I wouldn't be so sure about that Smile But thanks for the input!

Me, I'm probably going to be buying one of the Once-bitten bottles.

But it sure would be nice to solve this mystery.

Last edited by Snake on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Snake
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once-bitten wrote:
In a recent discussion with a lady who did her Directorial Internship on Blade-Runner it was revealed that the Whiskey Bottle was from Asia.
She apparently commented that this was due to the general interest in using all things "Asian."

Well, honestly, I'm going to take that comment with a grain of salt. If the prop masters and set dressers don't have a clear recollection of where the bottle came from, what are the chances that someone in the middle of an internship (who probably had her mind on a thousand other things besides whiskey bottles) has the answer?

I'm not completely disregarding it....just saying it seems unlikely.
Snake
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify that.

The bottle being of Asian origin is not unlikely. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

This person knowing FOR SURE that the bottle came from Asia is what seems unlikely to me.

Seems more like an educated guess to me.

Perhaps time will tell.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: