FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blasters: Sidkit or Offworld?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I'd choose:
Sidkit
 88%  [ 22 ]
Offworld
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Blasters: Sidkit or Offworld? Reply with quote

I am going to be purchasing a blaster soon. This gun will be 95% on display in a shelf (I'd like to get a stand, plaque, holster, etc) and the remaining 5% will be just to show it off. I'd like it to have real weight and be high quality.

The Offworld version is certainly more afforable but seems although it is 90% plastic. The stock paint also seems rather cheesy (I read a thread of another member here who stripped it and painted it himself and it looks very nice after that).

The Sidkit on the other hand is 100% metal with only the grips being plastic. It would also allow for more "owner input" as far as look since you have to paint and polish all the parts yourself. It also costs about $150 more.

Owners of both care to shed any light on pros and cons of each of these sets? Which one do you recommend and why? I can buy an Offworld today but I'd have to save a few more bucks for the sidkit and while I rejoice in my geekdom and love all things Blade Runner, I'd rather not drag this out too much or I may change my mind about this...

Thanks in advance!
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OW is a fine gun (I own two) but one thing you should know is that it is about 15% smaller than the actual blaster. It is based off of a .38 instead of the correct .44 Bulldog.

The Sidkit is a very nice all metal piece in the correct scale. If you are only going to own one blaster I highly reccomend the Sidkit over the Offworld.

Good luck.
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
The OW is a fine gun (I own two) but one thing you should know is that it is about 15% smaller than the actual blaster. It is based off of a .38 instead of the correct .44 Bulldog.

The Sidkit is a very nice all metal piece in the correct scale. If you are only going to own one blaster I highly reccomend the Sidkit over the Offworld.

Good luck.

I didn't know that- thanks for the info.

The other issue is that I saw some photos of the Sidkit and the grip seems too short. I wonder if that was revised on the later version for sale on their site?

Here is IGNITERS' Sidkit for reference; the grip is too short on this photo:

airhead
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Off-World model is pretty tight - no rattles - except for the left-side cylinder cover. It is smaller and can be re-finished. It comes with a nice paint job, but doesn't look "right". The trigger-hammer mechanism is also good, with a nice stiff spring. The SidKit requires final finishing (polishing) which isn't that hard and can be done without power tools, although a buffer makes things go quicker. Since it is bare metal, you will have to paint or otherwise color the metal parts. The trigger-hammer spring is lighter and can be less satisfying. I've got one of each.

The real test comes when someone picks them up. The OffWorld is interesting, but their eyes light up when they pick up the SidKit. The heft makes it seem real. If you have any model-making skills, I'd suggest the SidKit.

But if you are looking for a screen accurate grip size, among numerous other details, you'll have to talk to Richard Coyle. He still makes the best.

airhead
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never even held the off-world but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Sid-Kit over it. You will have trouble with the weight however if you don't look for way's to lighten it up. I bought a Stienschnieder Holster and my Sid-kit is too heavy for it to hold correctly when worn on a belt.
I redid the barrel in aluminum which helped alot, although if yours is just for display it shouldn't be an issue.
That short look you are observing in the handle of the Sid-Kit is mainly due to the fact that the Butt-Plate provided is not accurate...it's way to thin where the genuine artical is thicker. It's one of the first things that got thrown into the melting pot after I recieved mine!
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not the RAC Props WorldCon version?

svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your input.

Against the poll results, I went ahead and got an Offworld kit. Coming across some work provided paypal gift cards made the purchase less than half the cost and I just couldn't pass it up. This is just for display so the Sidkit would have done a good job at that for sure. It all came down to cost which is also why a Coyle was never an option (not in metal/plastic combo at least) and I did want this gun to have good weight and be operable (as far as trigger is concerned, being able to load it, able to show it, etc).

The gun arrived the other day and as I wrote on a separate thread, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and heft to it. It came with five hollow-point .357 dummy magnum rounds in it. The gun felt very solid out of the box, with no creaks or noise at all. No orange plug either so maybe the last batches had running changes made to them.

The only two things that are bugging me are that the hinge in which the cylinder is mounted on, is a little lose. This is what airhead was referring to. I am going to try and find a washer to put in there to tighten up the hinge. The other thing are the orange grips; they had a little bit of flash left although that was taken care of with some sandpaper.

Overall, it's quite nice. As you all know it's not film accurate but it's a good replica. It's nice to hold and look at for sure- with a newly issued feel to it. It's (was?) also one of the cheapest out there so it will make a good display piece.

Thanks again for the input everyone!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Offworld too, and picked up another cheap so I could mod it. As is it is, it looks pretty toy like while the Sid looks like a real gun no matter how you put it together. Ironicly I think the Offworld is more durable because the Sid is glued together in a lot of places as opposed to bolted/screwed together like the Offworld (or Coyle). It is also very heavy. I have seen Sidkits go for prices comparible to the Offworld on Ebay, I think Sid may have been dumping some stock. IMHO I think the Sid is a better display model while the offworld is better as a costuming gun, and it fits perfectly in my safariland holster.
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Andy, what kind of Safariland holster is this? Does it look like the one the blaster is supposed to use? The only holster I've seen thus far is the one that the people that make the Hartford guns make which would fit the Offworld piece like a glove since they're both the same size.

Then again, it's likely impossible to obtain considering they don't ship to the US and my searches so far have turned up nothing.

The other one I saw was the one at Steinschneider's website which may be a little too lose since the Offworld piece is slightly smaller than the models based on the .44 it was designed for. Thoughts?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look here...

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=181&start=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: