FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Dilemma - which blaster should I mod!?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Dilemma - which blaster should I mod!?! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Since getting and watching 3 times since XMas the Final Cut Briefcase edition, I have been determined to get a blaster. So what did I do - I got 2 of them!!!

Being in the U.K. makes it difficult to source these and the amount of money you need to spend would make most people (particularly our US friends) cry - I can hear the screams of "You could have got a WorldCon for that!!" (But as we speak I have recieved notification from Customs and Excise that they are gonna confirm the regulations of importing "replica film props")

Anyway, the dilemma I have is this. I now have an Offworld and what I think must be an early Richard Coyle (maybe someone can confirm this - it has the Steyr markings etc) and I can't decide which one I should repaint. I want to try and do a WorldCon type paint finish with the light silver top frame and matt black for the rest.

If the second blaster I have is an RC is it better to leave it unmodded - e.g. is it worth more as it is - or does it not make any difference?

I must admit that despite some peoples reservations, I'm really impressed with the OW because of it's weight - although regardless of which one I paint, I will probably add extra weight.

Here is a piccie of my duellies!!

Any comments would be gladly appreciated as I'm gonna start my sanding down work tomorrow!!

Thanks,

Chris
________
Jailbroken

Last edited by ChrisNightingale on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:58 am; edited 2 times in total
BRfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris

I've been enjoying the final cut dvd too and reliving my teenage obsession with BR back in the '80s.

Can't really help with your dilemma. I know these can look amazing with weathering but I quite like the shiny look. Call me weird!

Hope you didn't pay too much for your Offworld - I'm also in the UK but got a good deal on ebay. Sci-fi stores seem to enjoy bumping up the price quite a bit though!

Are you thinking of getting a Worldcon? Be interested to hear what Customs have to say. It's all very vague at the moment.

Best wishes
Alex
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bottom one looks like an early Coyle, my C&S blaster has the same flat buttplate on it and its an early one. I've seen a few of the repaints of the Off World version, and they've all come out looking sharp, that's be the one I suggest repainting.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's a factor, but the resale value of that generation of the Coyle is going to be much higher than that of the offworld. Much higher.

And the offworld is mass produced, while Rich hand builds them (or one of his assitstants).

The Offworld has a metal upper, and ABS frame. Much heavier than the all resin Coyle, and can take a lot more abuse.

Mod the off world, and I think you'll be happier in the long run if you decide to sell the coyle later on.
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for all the replies,

Yeap I was moving towards the OffWorld myself - just needed some reassurance! If any I think the standard finish on the coyle is better because it's more a dark metallic gray instead of jet black like the OW.

Right well I will get the old wet and dry out and start making some blaster dust Very Happy

Thanks again and I will eventually post some piccies once it's done

Chris
________
Mexico Hotels

Last edited by ChrisNightingale on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with Noeland and think Rich Coyle's guns will retain value more unmodded and the Offworld is actually pretty easy to disassemble for modification. I also think that the price of getting another one of these and even over all rarity makes the Offworld a good one to experiment with. I also think there aren't enough mods of this gun as of yet. I might suggest trying to remove the paint though with paint removers and/or oven cleaner for the metal parts instead of sanding.
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

never thought of using paint remover - are there any that you would recommend? Only thing that concerns me with paint remover is would there be any adverse effects on the plastic parts (e.g. melting them etc)?

I must admit that I have actually already sanded most of the parts down except for the metal top frame - so paint remover probably wouldn't be a bad idea for that part - especially to maintain the detail on the lettering etc (ok even though it's not authentic!!)

Thanks,

Chris
________
Ferrari wiki

Last edited by ChrisNightingale on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking about this myself since I would like to eventually repaint my Offworld, I heard that EZ-Off (the oven cleaner) works well to remove paint from ABS plastic without damaging it. It should also work well on the metal receiver. The advantage of it would be that you can really get into the nooks and crannies with it and do a really good job of stripping everything. A simple rinse afterwards (recommend using rubber gloves though) would wash all the residue and paint away.

I heard mineral spirits also work well to remove paint from polycarbonate plastic so in theory it should also work on ABS without damage of any kind but not entirely sure.

I would be careful with non-acetone polish remover and any other kind of abrasive on the plastic parts though; I once used it on polycarbonate lenses and while the paint came off very easily, the abrasive actually put stress cracks on the polycarbonate effectively ruining it.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use non-acetone base nail polish remover to strip paint off of plastic parts without damaging the plastic. Wear rubber gloves, its still hard on the skin, and use a rag to apply it and wipe the paint off. Takes a few passes to clean off the paint, but it hasn't once melted any of the plastic I've used it on. Its never done any damage to abs plastic or metal, I've used it on various airsofts I own. Polycarbonate is another matter entirely that should never come in contact with anything harsh. I had a pair of eyeglasses get stress fractures because I cleaned the polycarb lenses with rubbing alcohol . The non-acetone polish remover can sort of 'fog' black plastic but thats not a big deal if you're planning to paint over it anyhow.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: