FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
New Japanese Blaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God for it.

The film was not a happy camp, the partnership ended up owning it as it when over budget.

There was a lot of unhappness on the set and maybe why Ford will hardly talk about it to this day.

Even though today it is a classic, it did not do well first time out and I beleive did not make money.

Funny how so many classics are like it "OZ", "Its a Wonderful Life' and so on all failed to be hits first time out.

Rich
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 'partnership' did agree to the recent DVD re-release. I am sure if one could pony up the money one would get the license, everyone has a price.

-Bryan
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that was something that Warner owned some rights to and releasing the film is a "ART Thing" not the same as some little prop or other toy deal.

Rich
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:
But that was something that Warner owned some rights to and releasing the film is a "ART Thing" not the same as some little prop or other toy deal.

Rich

Without getting into a whole thing, I respectfully disagree with your 'analysis' on the re-release of the film.

Licensing is an entirely different beast, but as I mentioned before, everything has a price. $500,000 keeps getting thrown around as a potential buy in for the licensing; if that is the case, it is not a bad starting point, however if one were interested in the license they would have to do a major ROI analysis and I am not certain that there is a solid market for licensed goods. A company would have to pony up the money, line up the machinery, the labor, source raw meterials, ect ect ect... the start up costs are significant.

-Bryan
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, 500G's is a terrible place to start for this license, and they know that. If it's even true, you're never going to recoup that revenue. You can't spend that much on a license before you even spend a dime on your new product or product line. It's a terrible defecit to start a new project!

This isn't star wars, so your not going to be on every cereal box in the world. You're not going to have the kind of high profile in the open market that you would absolutely need to justify that kind of fee for a license.

I tried to get a BR license for Fashion Victim so we could produce licensed T-shirts and it was an ongoing thing. It was calls, call backs, emails, and dead end after dead end.

The partnership doesn't have an agent, or rep to call. There is no home office, website, or other legal entity to directly contact and schedule a meeting with. You have to start with Warner Brothers, and work from there, and from there is a bit murky at best. And like I said, since I was only just trying to aquire the rights to use 5 photographs, I figured it would be a piece of cake. I was very wrong.

Usually getting a license for T-shirts is pretty easy for a company like FV. A phone call, a few emails, a few traded contracts and signatures, and in short order you're outputting seperations and burning screens.

We had a good business plan too, before the DVD release. Everyone was interested in carrying the shirts had we produced them. It could have been a big deal, and it would have been a dream come true for me to design licensed BR gear that any of us could pick up in wal-Mart or target along with the DVD.

But, thanks to the partnership, and the way things are structured . . . or lack thereof, it just never happened.

Sad
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outlandish offer that we all talk about is what is out there right now; if taken at its face value, it is only their first response. There is a lot of back and forth that would go into these types of negotiations. I am fine with that number of $500,000; it can only go down from there.

-Bryan
technocoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know DKE Toys. It's Dov Klemer and he's a very upstanding guy. I nearly did a deal with him to distribute my Whaleboy vinyl toy.

He deals with and distributes wholesale for designer vinyl and small toy companies.

If he is carrying this it is more than likely made by another studio.

I have seen many of these studios get licenses for Batman, Halo, Indiana Jones, etc. If they can pull that off it is possible they have convinced someone to let them make the blaster. Don't rule out Gentle Giant or someone of that caliber.

There are also partial and time sensitive licensing options for properties. You don't have to get the end all be all license for a property to make one prop or toy. You can get a release timeframe license in which you are only granted the license for say a single release (limited pieces are perfect for this) or say for a special comic-con edition.

You can also get a license for JUST the blaster.

Now thats completely different than actually having the studio/property rights holder be WILLING to do that, but I've seen VERY small shops get some big licenses based on very good prototypes that the studios were impressed by.

Just my input having been in a few of these situations.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when you get a license you get it for a specific item, or a line of specific items. It's not a blanket license that allows you to do whatever you want. In my experience with licensing (T-shirts and comic books) everything has to be approved before it can be released.

And DKE toys is a distributor, yes. They don't manufacture.
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, DKE distributes a documentary I produced about designer vinyl toys. His distribution network extends pretty far and wide, and if he's on the supply end of the project, it means that the blaster shouldn't be TOO hard to get.

...In theory, anyway...
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anymore word about this blaster? Anyone able to contact the maker?

-
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this isn't the elfin model right?
KarlBud420
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've got elves retiring replicants now???

Shocked

Bruce
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the same Elfin I'm thinking about, it's a company that is notorious for recasting everything under the sun.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of the Elfin kits and it is not recast of anything. It is super clean and has a very clever method of how it all gets assembled that I have not seen before.

Also now comparing pics it looks like these are two different kits.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
I got one of the Elfin kits and it is not recast of anything. It is super clean and has a very clever method of how it all gets assembled that I have not seen before.

Also now comparing pics it looks like these are two different kits.

Elfin did originals too, but had a ton of recast stuff mixed in. Even included the recast stuff in their catalogs. I thought they only did figure kits. Are they doing gun replicas too?
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I emailed DKE and this was the response I received when I ased when they expected to have the models ready to sell:

" was unaware of that ?!?!?

who gave you that info? and what company... it may be true but I dont have any info yet "

Haven't replied yet. Not sure if this info was supposed to be released.
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops....
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is emband around to clue us in? Only 3 posts. Is he or she around anymore?
emband

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: update Reply with quote

don't know when it will be available yet, may be around Nov?

http://www.exblog.jp/blog_logo.asp?slt=1&imgsrc=200810/04/42/a0077842_22522817.jpg

http://www.exblog.jp/blog_logo.asp?slt=1&imgsrc=200810/04/42/a0077842_2253511.jpg

http://www.exblog.jp/blog_logo.asp?slt=1&imgsrc=200810/04/42/a0077842_22562411.jpg

http://www.exblog.jp/blog_logo.asp?slt=1&imgsrc=200809/27/42/a0077842_18401886.jpg

http://www.exblog.jp/blog_logo.asp?slt=1&imgsrc=200809/11/42/a0077842_0185256.jpg
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very exiting. This looks like the most accurate version so far. I do hope this becomes widely available.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12

Jump to: